Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 AM

804 posts, read 1,354,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I was an Attorney in training I would start a topic like this just to practice law, which is basically arguing and getting paid for it.
Law is always a fun topic, I am no attorney in training but know quite a few, and I love debating with them. Yet we seem to rather frequency find something that needs to be tweaked or amended.

Law, like any other written work can usually be tortured to say what you want it to say. An easy example is religion.

But I'm still concerned about the ease that the word criminal is thrown around. Under a dictionary meaning it blankets a rather large portion of the worlds population, yet it's usually reserved, at least in my opinion, for people of ill will whose primary objective is to cause damage to others.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Law is always a fun topic, I am no attorney in training but know quite a few, and I love debating with them. Yet we seem to rather frequency find something that needs to be tweaked or amended.

Law, like any other written work can usually be tortured to say what you want it to say. An easy example is religion.

But I'm still concerned about the ease that the word criminal is thrown around. Under a dictionary meaning it blankets a rather large portion of the worlds population, yet it's usually reserved, at least in my opinion, for people of ill will whose primary objective is to cause damage to others.
Say what you will: under current US law; most illegal aliens do indeed qualify as criminals----------admittedly not violent ones usually (which has kept some of the heat off of 'em).

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:

While they may have came here originally with good intentions the serendipity of free services has by all means created a new type of criminal.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,178,998 times
I'm sure they fit in here somewhere...

criminal
noun
a convicted criminal lawbreaker, offender, villain, delinquent, felon, convict, malefactor, wrongdoer, culprit, miscreant; thief, burglar, robber, armed robber, gunman, gangster, terrorist; informal crook, con, jailbird, hood, yardbird, perp; Law malfeasant.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Quote:

Doesn't the term "illegal" denote some form of "criminal" activity?

After all, they are illegal aliens according to USCIS.

Quote:
Certain illegal aliens who were eligible to apply for temporary resident status under the legalization provision of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
USCIS - Legalized Aliens

Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 AM

438 posts, read 943,697 times
Has anybody here actually....made friends with illegals? Hung out with them? Talked about life, cooked dinner for each other, learned languages...just...made a connection? Illegal immigration is not ideal. But I hear people all to often calling an entire group "scum" and names I won't repeat. Every single alien in the country is not out stealing i.d.'s, dealing drugs and committing felonies. I don't know the solution to the problem, but demonizing the "other" is not the way to go. It is fine to believe they are wrong for doing this, but the hatred that comes out of some people is mindblowing. Aliens are human beings too, some are awesome people I feel honored to know. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect towards all involved and look for viable solutions....

Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Yes;its a arrestable offense against the federal laws. If it were civil you could not be arrested;plain and simple.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 AM

974 posts, read 1,580,601 times
Pastelito, would you allow your children to hang out with known criminals? That is what you are doing. I do not care how nice they are. They are in our country illegally. They are here and do not belong. Why do they not go to their home country and march and protest to make it a better place? I will tell you why, many people in the world today have a complex, it is called instant gratification. Is a game to hard for you? Go look it up online and get the cheat codes. Is your country not taking care of you? Go to America, they take care of everyone. See instant gratification. It is easier for them to come here, squat and steal, lie and cheat, drop anchors and steal jobs, than it is for them to try to accomplish anything in their home country.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:28 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Has anybody here actually....made friends with illegals? Hung out with them? Talked about life, cooked dinner for each other, learned languages...just...made a connection? Illegal immigration is not ideal. But I hear people all to often calling an entire group "scum" and names I won't repeat. Every single alien in the country is not out stealing i.d.'s, dealing drugs and committing felonies. I don't know the solution to the problem, but demonizing the "other" is not the way to go. It is fine to believe they are wrong for doing this, but the hatred that comes out of some people is mindblowing. Aliens are human beings too, some are awesome people I feel honored to know. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect towards all involved and look for viable solutions....
I have yet to encounter ANYONE who considers illegal aliens as subhuman beings; and it’s really getting tiresome hearing this spurious mantra. I don’t need to befriend illegals to understand the crux of this issue. Yes, some are here simply to work. However, many are here to commit crimes and to ‘play’ the system. I’m sick of all of them -- the so-called “good” as well as the bad.

I hate no one, and I really don’t care how nice some illegals may be. For the umpteenth time, we owe them NOTHING.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have yet to encounter ANYONE who considers illegal aliens as subhuman beings; and it’s really getting tiresome hearing this spurious mantra. I don’t need to befriend illegals to understand the crux of this issue. Yes, some are here simply to work. However, many are here to commit crimes and to ‘play’ the system. I’m sick of all of them -- the so-called “good” as well as the bad.

I hate no one, and I really don’t care how nice some illegals may be. For the umpteenth time, we owe them NOTHING.
Agreed. I'm sure that a few of them are nice people. However, being nice does not make one trustworthy or exempt from obeying the law.

If I just have to make a choice, I prefer that those living in my community or walking amongst me on the streets, to honest and law abiding as opposed to being "nice" with criminal intent or rap sheet any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration