Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:01 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,497,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. I'm sure that a few of them are nice people. However, being nice does not make one trustworthy or exempt from obeying the law.

If I just have to make a choice, I prefer that those living in my community or walking amongst me on the streets, to honest and law abiding as opposed to being "nice" with criminal intent or rap sheet any day of the week.
Absolutely! As far as I’m concerned, “nice” and “illegal” is an oxymoron. If they were truly “nice” they would at least feel remorse for their lawlessness. I’m no angel, but at least it bothers me when I do something I KNOW is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:36 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Has anybody here actually....made friends with illegals? Hung out with them? Talked about life, cooked dinner for each other, learned languages...just...made a connection? Illegal immigration is not ideal. But I hear people all to often calling an entire group "scum" and names I won't repeat. Every single alien in the country is not out stealing i.d.'s, dealing drugs and committing felonies. I don't know the solution to the problem, but demonizing the "other" is not the way to go. It is fine to believe they are wrong for doing this, but the hatred that comes out of some people is mindblowing. Aliens are human beings too, some are awesome people I feel honored to know. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect to wards all involved and look for viable solutions....
As a matter of fact I have, a girl from S Africa. While it did suck when she got deported being nice doesn't make someone less of a criminal. Being nice doesn't make some one less of a bank robber and out of desperation many do the crime. I'll take legal over nice any day.

As far as I know she went home, started the legal process and is back legally. The way it is supposed to work.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM

438 posts, read 944,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have yet to encounter ANYONE who considers illegal aliens as subhuman beings; and it’s really getting tiresome hearing this spurious mantra. I don’t need to befriend illegals to understand the crux of this issue. Yes, some are here simply to work. However, many are here to commit crimes and to ‘play’ the system. I’m sick of all of them -- the so-called “good” as well as the bad.

I hate no one, and I really don’t care how nice some illegals may be. For the umpteenth time, we owe them NOTHING.
Really? I have heard the worst kinds of things said about them. Many times. Thats what gets to me. It's fine to support deportation and fining workplaces who hire them, but haven't you heard the racial slurs that come out of some people's mouths? The stereotypes and denigration?
I don't think the issue is completely black and white, either. Several of the aliens I know were brought here as minors or even as babies...their parents decision...and they have more in common with our culture than that of Mexico. I think their parents did a great disservice to them by making that choice, but its done. How are we protected by shipping home people who have grown up here and do speak English and are basically American at heart?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 24,760 times
Quote:
. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect towards all involved and look for viable solutions....
Hearts and flowers. You're saying illegals have their "reasons" for invading us and how can all these bigots call them unpleasant names when we haven't chit-chatted with them and had them bare their motivations? Your reasoning seems to be, a la Jimmy carter and probably Obumma, that if we understood better why people are causing us harm, we might properly "respect" them. My feeling is the American people are biting their tongues regarding the issue of illegal immigration. There is apt to come a time when that changes. Then, methinks, people will actually long for the poor "respect" some of us are said to be showing illegals today.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,497,941 times
Quote:
Really? I have heard the worst kinds of things said about them. Many times. Thats what gets to me. It's fine to support deportation and fining workplaces who hire them, but haven't you heard the racial slurs that come out of some people's mouths? The stereotypes and denigration?
I don't think the issue is completely black and white, either. Several of the aliens I know were brought here as minors or even as babies...their parents decision...and they have more in common with our culture than that of Mexico. I think their parents did a great disservice to them by making that choice, but its done. How are we protected by shipping home people who have grown up here and do speak English and are basically American at heart?
Yes, I have heard derogatory comments being made. However, I have heard derogatory comments being made about many racial/ethnic groups. That does not equate to being considered subhuman.

Illegal aliens are not invited guests being denied a seat at the dining table. They are interlopers who are harming this country, and we are not mean-spirited bigots because we oppose them.

We are in total agreement regarding their parents.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:51 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! As far as I’m concerned, “nice” and “illegal” is an oxymoron. If they were truly “nice” they would at least feel remorse for their lawlessness. I’m no angel, but at least it bothers me when I do something I KNOW is wrong.
Agreed. Those who support DREAMies continue to make excuses as to why they should be granted amnesty. Not only would it be a slap in the face those to standing in line to legally immigrate to the US but to every American child struggling to get through college while falling deeply into debt to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars that they will be forced to repay in loans. The plight of illegal alien children turned illegal alien criminal adults is their responsibility and that of their parents, NOT OURS.

Not only have they grown up learning the art of their "parents" cheating the system and skirting laws, they have mastered the criminal elments of their "parents'" behavior in order to stay here.

Additionally, they are no longer simply innocent children of illegal alien criminals, they have mastered the art and become the second generation of illegal alien ADULT criminals holding an even deeper traditional grudge against America than that of their "parents". These are not "children" who want to become Americans out of patriotism, these are the adult offspring of anger who are demanding and feel entitled to all that American children have.

Anyone who disputes that truth need look no further than:

The Lounge - DREAM Act Portal Forums

Where misdirected anger and self incrimination runs rampant.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-09-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,145,112 times
Quote:
Has anybody here actually....made friends with illegals? Hung out with them? Talked about life, cooked dinner for each other, learned languages...just...made a connection? Illegal immigration is not ideal. But I hear people all to often calling an entire group "scum" and names I won't repeat. Every single alien in the country is not out stealing i.d.'s, dealing drugs and committing felonies. I don't know the solution to the problem, but demonizing the "other" is not the way to go. It is fine to believe they are wrong for doing this, but the hatred that comes out of some people is mindblowing. Aliens are human beings too, some are awesome people I feel honored to know. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect towards all involved and look for viable solutions....
My answer to your question is short and to the point. NO. I dont hang out with criminals.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,003,834 times
Quote:
Has anybody here actually....made friends with illegals? Hung out with them? Talked about life, cooked dinner for each other, learned languages...just...made a connection? Illegal immigration is not ideal. But I hear people all to often calling an entire group "scum" and names I won't repeat. Every single alien in the country is not out stealing i.d.'s, dealing drugs and committing felonies. I don't know the solution to the problem, but demonizing the "other" is not the way to go. It is fine to believe they are wrong for doing this, but the hatred that comes out of some people is mindblowing. Aliens are human beings too, some are awesome people I feel honored to know. Illegal border crossing is a problem, but every individual has had reasons for doing what they do....we may not agree with it but we have not been in some of the situations that others have been dealt. I wish this topic could be treated with respect towards all involved and look for viable solutions....
I have no problem referring to illegal aliens as at least criminals----------since most of them are when factoring in ID theft, fraud, non reporting of income, etc.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,124,363 times
Quote:
The only source that I could find regarding illegal immigration could be considered criminal is U.S. Code, Title 8, Section 1325 Improper entry by an alien. But it's scope is limited and if it applies, it only applies to:
"Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, ..."
In the Eagle Pass, TX area, every alien caught entering the US at other than a recognized Port of Entry has been criminally charged and prosecuted, received time served and removed.

Those caught a second time have been charged and prosecuted for reentry after deportation.

It has been used in Federal District Court in criminal matters.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,874 times
There is a difference between a civil penalty and a civil law read section b of the code carefully, and you will see that the penalty is a civil penalty the act is still a criminal act. This is merely legal tolerance, not a definition of civil law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration