U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:44 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (AP) ó Members of Congress quickly denounced an Obama administration plan to end federal payments to states and communities for jailing illegal immigrants.

President Barack Obama asked Congress in his budget Thursday to end the State Alien Criminal Assistance Program. Instead, the $400 million it received for the 2009 fiscal year could be used for border security and immigration enforcement, the administration said.

The SCAAP program reimburses states and counties for jailers' salaries for holding illegal immigrants who have at least one felony and two misdemeanor convictions. But the Obama administration says the reimbursements also can be used for bonuses, consultants and buying vehicles.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said killing the program "deprives communities of critical funding for public safety services." The California state corrections received more than $118 million in 2008 through the program.

"We cannot afford to let our public safety services crumble under the weight of our immigration policies, especially during this time of economic uncertainty," Feinstein said.

Budget asks Congress to end payments to states, communities for jailing criminal immigrants -- chicagotribune.com

While it could be a double edged sword, I'd rather have my tax dollars spent securing the border. Perhaps then traitors like Feinstein will rethink their aiding and abetting/sanctuary policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
I think that we should water board Feinstein, Pelosi, Reed, oh hell with it we should water board every member of congress and senate that seems to feel we don't need to enforce our laws.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think that we should water board Feinstein, Pelosi, Reed, oh hell with it we should water board every member of congress and senate that seems to feel we don't need to enforce our laws.
Don't forget the White House and Judiciary.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
So what are the alternatives? I hope just releasing them isn't one of the options?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So what are the alternatives? I hope just releasing them isn't one of the options?
At best they'll probably seek speedy deportations for the illegals and at worst, well, the illegals might be granted worker's permits.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:33 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that is precisely what they want. It will give them an excuse to simply release illegal aliens due to a lack of funding. I donít trust them. If there are no funds for incarceration, they need to summarily deport each illegal apprehended -- no hearing, just immediate deportation. Then they can use those border funds to ensure deported illegals NEVER return.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have a sneaking suspicion that is precisely what they want. It will give them an excuse to simply release illegal aliens due to a lack of funding. I donít trust them. If there are no funds for incarceration, they need to summarily deport each illegal apprehended -- no hearing, just immediate deportation. Then they can use those border funds to ensure deported illegals NEVER return.
Isn't one of the reasons for incarceration crossing illegally for the second time? When the cross for the third time they will be so desperate to avoid being caught again they will be dangerous.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Isn't one of the reasons for incarceration crossing illegally for the second time? When the cross for the third time they will be so desperate to avoid being caught again they will be dangerous.
Exactly! This is why we must secure our borders. Deportation should mean they are out of this country forever. Sadly, due to our porous borders, it simply means a brief vacation away from the US. Itís a joke to illegal aliens.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:43 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
we dont have the money to "do the right thing" its that simple.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we dont have the money to "do the right thing" its that simple.
What is "the right thing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or