U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One man kicked a police car in hopes of getting arrested and deported back to his home country. Another simply asked the cops for a ride to his homeland, then stood in traffic until cops nabbed him for disorderly conduct.

The two Guatemalan immigrants -- the first a 27-year-old laborer arrested in January, the second a 38-year-old homeless man arrested on Monday -- are symbolic of the devastating effect that the nation's troubled economy is having on immigrants, whether they are here legally or not, according to immigration experts.
Quote:
The American dream is falling apart for millions of immigrants who count on work in landscaping, construction, cleaning, food service and agriculture, said Steven Camarota with the Center for Immigration Studies in Washington, D.C.

"All of these fields have seen substantial rises in unemployment in recent months," said Mr. Camarota, who last month released the study, "Trends in Immigrant and Native Employment."
The Riverhead News-Review

I hope that more of these illegals become desperate enough to do such things as long as they don't harm any Americans in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,891,462 times
What causes illegals to come and go is employment and lack thereof. If they can't find jobs, they don't stay.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM

804 posts, read 1,175,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
What causes illegals to come and go is employment and lack thereof. If they can't find jobs, they don't stay.

So, I wonder if them leaving is actually a good sign. Warren Buffet did hint that the recession was over and that it should be up from now on.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
So, I wonder if them leaving is actually a good sign. Warren Buffet did hint that the recession was over and that it should be up from now on.
This map, the "Geography of Jobs," shows which areas are losing jobs and which areas are gaining jobs: The Geography of Jobs - TIP Strategies

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM

26,494 posts, read 24,230,943 times
If there's one good thing about the recession, this is it.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:52 AM

804 posts, read 1,175,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
This map, the "Geography of Jobs," shows which areas are losing jobs and which areas are gaining jobs: The Geography of Jobs - TIP Strategies
Wow, this is the data that reminds me how grateful I am of being a grad student. And how I should really go back to Texas once I'm done with school in Michigan.

Do you have any similar site for people with Master's and up, and Terminal Degrees ( MBA, LAW, etc)?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Wow, this is the data that reminds me how grateful I am of being a grad student. And how I should really go back to Texas once I'm done with school in Michigan.

Do you have any similar site for people with Master's and up, and Terminal Degrees ( MBA, LAW, etc)?
I'm not aware of any with statistics for particular degrees.

Yeah, I like this site as it shows what parts of the US have done better and which have declined in terms of jobs.

It's a good time to be a student right now.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
The Riverhead News-Review

I hope that more of these illegals become desperate enough to do such things as long as they don't harm any Americans in the process.
And yet, in spite of all this, no matter how desperate and destitute they become, they will still have children.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
And yet, in spite of all this, no matter how desperate and destitute they become, they will still have children.
Firmly plant those anchors!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
Those criminals leaving is a very good thing: maybe the greedy employers will be forced to offer appropriate wages so Americans/green card holders will bother working.

de facto slave labor wages are an insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or