Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Oh, come on. It's not as if it's that important to learn basic high school information in the de facto language of the country.
I'm not so sure that English is the de facto language of the U.S. anymore.

If you go to Southern California, in some areas you won't hear English spoken, nor see much written in English.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Desmadre! (literally, that's screwed!) Por que en Espanol? No es nessacito para tarbajo. No me nessesario education, yo me trabajadoro.

Okay, something like, "Why in Spanish? Don't need a GED to work. I don't need an education. I'm a worker."

I took a year of Spanish in my first year of college. It's an easy language to learn. I made it a point to learn some Spanish before traveling around Spanish speaking countries or to study in a university in Mexico or antoher Spanish language country. Why can't they learn English before traveling around and working and attending colleges in the USA? Mod edit:language
Uhmm... Judging from your sample, you would have not passed a GED in Spanish, since none of the phrases were written correctly.

Also, universities usually require to take an additional test, the "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (TOEFL) before you are admitted into an school if English is not your mother language.

I do support learning English even before coming to the U.S. and practicing every chance you get once here. But, I don't think the GED is designed to test your ability to speak English, but your knowledge in multiple areas like science and humanities. And, I think the test taker should not have any artificial barrier that would skew the result of the test like language.

In addition, scientific and mathematical terms rearely get taught in English classes. I finished highschool in Spanish and then did my undergrad in English and now, during my doctoral studies still find myself going to the web to look up terms that I have not used in a long time. And I have a really hard time trying to explain what I research to someone who does not speak English, I can speak Spanish fluently, and can communicate with people in Italian and Portuguese, yet the technical terms are just not taught.

To sumarize, I dont think the GED is to test an invidual's command of English. So, limiting it to the English language puts people who has not done their schooling in English at a disadvantage. I think it should not only be administered in Spanish, but also in other languages that are common in the U.S.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Uhmm... Judging from your sample, you would have not passed a GED in Spanish, since none of the phrases were written correctly.

Also, universities usually require to take an additional test, the "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (TOEFL) before you are admitted into an school if English is not your mother language.

I do support learning English even before coming to the U.S. and practicing every chance you get once here. But, I don't think the GED is designed to test your ability to speak English, but your knowledge in multiple areas like science and humanities. And, I think the test taker should not have any artificial barrier that would skew the result of the test like language.

In addition, scientific and mathematical terms rearely get taught in English classes. I finished highschool in Spanish and then did my undergrad in English and now, during my doctoral studies still find myself going to the web to look up terms that I have not used in a long time. And I have a really hard time trying to explain what I research to someone who does not speak English, I can speak Spanish fluently, and can communicate with people in Italian and Portuguese, yet the technical terms are just not taught.

To sumarize, I dont think the GED is to test an invidual's command of English. So, limiting it to the English language puts people who has not done their schooling in English at a disadvantage. I think it should not only be administered in Spanish, but also in other languages that are common in the U.S.
I strongly disagree: one way on another; the Balkanization of the USA must not only be stopped----------it needs to be reversed.

Again: if here legally; assimilate or get the hell out. Illegals have no right to be here, period.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post

You are the "spanish word police" I take it ? Is this still the USA or am I missing something? Why should a general knowlege test in an english speaking country be in Spanish?

Why would we care if YOU can't share your "research" with people in Italian and Portuguese? The whole test should be revised just for spanish speaking people in our country? What other language is "common" in the US ,(spanish aside) Chinese? Apache?

People who have not done thier schooling in English should be at a disadvantage. Where do you think this is, Spain? You want Spanish you need to head South.
Could be you could help lead the revolution in Mexico.
Never can tell, huh? Its obvious you think we aren't bright enough to keep up, or you would not need to impress us with all those college degrees.

In parting let me ask one thing? Are you really data mining for the CIA? Are you part of some large conspiracy to trick us dumb gringo's ? Is CD really on to us ? Will the mods.-------

Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
The Mod failed to recognize all the Mexican slang in this post.

I misspelled a word that doesn't exist outside of certain regions of Mexico and received a warning. It literally does not translate to English. I must be a bad person.

City Data is a CIA data mining Website. Don't legislate your subjective morality on me. The Mod is probably an illegal alien working for the CIA inside the USA. Be very careful what you post on this Website - the CIA is watching. Also, be careful on YouTube, MySpace, and FaceBook. The CIA starts threads to invoke fights between left and right. City Data is a joke!
Frankly: I do hope that the Feds are indeed monitoring City-Data; maybe they will then realize the growing anger against illegal aliens---------and their enablers.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Well Joemama2009...the yr of spanish in college got you a large "F".

Before you try to make your point...spell the Spanish correctly and use proper phrases.

Heck...I never took Spanish in college and I know better then to make an ASS of myself.

QUOTE; "No me nessario education, yo me trabajadoro".

I have lived in Mexico 16 yrs and if I were to speak like that the neighbors here would laugh me back to the border.

Steve

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,499 times
A GED test in Spanish is nothing new. My mom was a GED teacher in Phoenix for over 20 years... from the early 80's until 2002. Although the students in her classes spoke English, the schools she taught at offered classes in Spanish (but NO other language!). The Spanish tests were not only given to students who spoke no English, but students who spoke Spanish and English often took the tests in Spanish. Why? Because the grading scale on the Spanish tests was different than that for the English version. The Spanish could pass with lower grades. My mom was always and forever griping about the unfairness of this and was so against the special treatment that she refused to give the Spanish test to those who spoke English. (The students would just go to the Spanish classes for a while and then take the test there.)

Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
It's probably intended for people who just arrived to make it easier to get low level jobs.

Maybe it would be okay as long as it is understood that a Spanish only GED is not worth as much as an English GED, and that the exam taker will have to take it again in English to get full high school credit.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 AM

804 posts, read 1,359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
A GED test in Spanish is nothing new. My mom was a GED teacher in Phoenix for over 20 years... from the early 80's until 2002. Although the students in her classes spoke English, the schools she taught at offered classes in Spanish (but NO other language!). The Spanish tests were not only given to students who spoke no English, but students who spoke Spanish and English often took the tests in Spanish. Why? Because the grading scale on the Spanish tests was different than that for the English version. The Spanish could pass with lower grades. My mom was always and forever griping about the unfairness of this and was so against the special treatment that she refused to give the Spanish test to those who spoke English. (The students would just go to the Spanish classes for a while and then take the test there.)
As much as I support having the test in multiple languages, I do agree with your mom that the tests should be just as hard in any language as it is in English.

Also, the GED test consists of math, social studies, science, reading, writing and basic English fluency individual areas. So, I would assume that even for the Spanish version of the test some basic knowledge of English must be required in other to pass the "basic English fluency" area. And if you want to continue on to college, you still have to take the TOEFL exam since your education was not done in English.

I do want to add, that as I have stated before, I strongly support the learning of English. As things stand right now, I don't have much knowledge of other fields, but at least in the scientific and medical peer-review journals, and any other publications, English is the de-facto language. If you cant't read English, you are at a great disadvantage.

I went ahead and re-read the article after your post, and it does seem to indicate as you state, that the Spanish version (The GED site says that there is a Spanish and French version) has been around for a while. The novelty is that the site exclusively administers the test in Spanish-Only. So, if you want to take the test in another language you have to go to other testing center. ( I really don't find this news quite as relevant as I though from reading this thread)

Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
i'm pretty liberal and a teacher.. a gay teacher i might add.. and firstly.. I do not agree with this.. while english is not our official language.. it is the language used. As an educator, I feel we would be doing a huge injustice to any child to send them out into the world without having a grasp of the language..
English is manditory for every child every year in high school for a reason. It is required for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students.. I don't understand how any other child can get around not having those credits on their transcript and graduate... it reeks of political agenda.. sorry.. but it does..
I would like to see more foreign language implemented in the schools though, so that all american students can come out of high school being somewhat fluent in atleast another language.. with that said... coming out of high school without any english skills in an english speaking country would be a blatant injustice to that child...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration