U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,725,996 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
i'm pretty liberal and a teacher.. a gay teacher i might add.. and firstly.. I do not agree with this.. while english is not our official language.. it is the language used. As an educator, I feel we would be doing a huge injustice to any child to send them out into the world without having a grasp of the language..
English is manditory for every child every year in high school for a reason. It is required for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students.. I don't understand how any other child can get around not having those credits on their transcript and graduate... it reeks of political agenda.. sorry.. but it does..
I would like to see more foreign language implemented in the schools though, so that all american students can come out of high school being somewhat fluent in atleast another language.. with that said... coming out of high school without any english skills in an english speaking country would be a blatant injustice to that child...
You sound like an Old School Liberal-------------which I can respect.

Your views are simply common sense.

 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 PM
-H-
 
7 posts, read 4,119 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Desmadre! (literally, that's screwed!) Por que en Espanol? No es nessacito para tarbajo. No me nessesario education, yo me trabajadoro.

Okay, something like, "Why in Spanish? Don't need a GED to work. I don't need an education. I'm a worker."

I took a year of Spanish in my first year of college. It's an easy language to learn. I made it a point to learn some Spanish before traveling around Spanish speaking countries or to study in a university in Mexico or antoher Spanish language country. Why can't they learn English before traveling around and working and attending colleges in the USA? Mod edit:language
Your obnoxious post has just made me open an account in here.

I bet you are one of those vain people who speak bad Spanish with a terrible accent and get mad when people can not understand you, but you get all mad when somebody speak good English with a slight accent. Now, your bad Spanish defeat your point. "Desmadre" is considered slang for "alboroto" or "uproar" and you say: "No lo necesito para trabajar" You say that Spanish is easy but to clue words together is not enough to actually claim that you actually speak a language no to mention to speak it correctly enough as to study in a University. Also, plenty of University courses are been thought in English and/or French. You can be surprised to know that most of mid class and above people in Mexico for example know English and at least half of tehm have a near native level, in fact you have probably spoke with some of them and believed when they said they were in Virginia. In the call centre I used to work, about half the employees were native English speakers from different parts of the World, and still they were requested to "Speak with somebody in America that speaks English" gosh, my boss was from Manchester and he was told once to be a fkin Indian by an American customer!

Now, about your question of why in Spanish, the answer is simple, just read the official reasons to be:

1) To increase education level.
2) To raise economic opportunities.

So, would you rather have an uneducated worker than an educated worker? Well, it is certainly easier to abuse the ignorant regardless of their language.
Also, the GED is not always considered to be taken in the US, it can be taken overseas as well.

Now, do you know what a "redneck" is? Well, for your information, we DO have rednecks too just that we do not call them that way. The most that emigrate off Mex are poor and ignorant people who are easily corrupted by your gangstas and the narc in the border. (btw, narcs are there because America eats way too much drugs overall)

Many countries have double and even triple official languages, I do not see the big deal of having a few people around speaking something else, in fact I like it, it is nice to be able to chat with people in different langs and see notice how friendly people is when you speak their language.

People like you make all American look bad to the World.

-----------------------------------------

On a different note, it is just another option, people will still need to learn teh native language of the country they live to accomplish anything in life and progress.

Last edited by -H-; 02-13-2010 at 08:57 PM..
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,101,143 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Desmadre! (literally, that's screwed!) Por que en Espanol? No es nessacito para tarbajo. No me nessesario education, yo me trabajadoro.

Okay, something like, "Why in Spanish? Don't need a GED to work. I don't need an education. I'm a worker."

I took a year of Spanish in my first year of college. It's an easy language to learn. I made it a point to learn some Spanish before traveling around Spanish speaking countries or to study in a university in Mexico or antoher Spanish language country. Why can't they learn English before traveling around and working and attending colleges in the USA? Mod edit:language

Por que en Espanol? No es nessacito para tarbajo. No me nessesario education, yo me trabajadoro.

Por que el Espanol? No es nesesario para trabajar. No lo necesito para educarme...Yo soy trabajador.

Maybe you should have of invested in year 2.
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by -H- View Post
Your obnoxious post has just made me open an account in here.

I bet you are one of those vain people who speak bad Spanish with a terrible accent and get mad when people can not understand you, but you get all mad when somebody speak good English with a slight accent. Now, your bad Spanish defeat your point. "Desmadre" is considered slang for "alboroto" or "uproar" and you say: "No lo necesito para trabajar" You say that Spanish is easy but to clue words together is not enough to actually claim that you actually speak a language no to mention to speak it correctly enough as to study in a University. Also, plenty of University courses are been thought in English and/or French. You can be surprised to know that most of mid class and above people in Mexico for example know English and at least half of tehm have a near native level, in fact you have probably spoke with some of them and believed when they said they were in Virginia. In the call centre I used to work, about half the employees were native English speakers from different parts of the World, and still they were requested to "Speak with somebody in America that speaks English" gosh, my boss was from Manchester and he was told once to be a fkin Indian by an American customer!

Now, about your question of why in Spanish, the answer is simple, just read the official reasons to be:

1) To increase education level.
2) To raise economic opportunities.

So, would you rather have an uneducated worker than an educated worker? Well, it is certainly easier to abuse the ignorant regardless of their language.
Also, the GED is not always considered to be taken in the US, it can be taken overseas as well.

Now, do you know what a "redneck" is? Well, for your information, we DO have rednecks too just that we do not call them that way. The most that emigrate off Mex are poor and ignorant people who are easily corrupted by your gangstas and the narc in the border. (btw, narcs are there because America eats way too much drugs overall)

Many countries have double and even triple official languages, I do not see the big deal of having a few people around speaking something else, in fact I like it, it is nice to be able to chat with people in different langs and see notice how friendly people is when you speak their language.

People like you make us all American look bad to the World.

-----------------------------------------

On a different note, it is just another option, people will still need to learn teh native language of the country they live to accomplish anything in life and progress.
There is no need for Americans to learn another language unless they choose to or they are in the tourist industry, deal with many foreingers on their job in their own countries or some other legitimate reason such as moving to a foreign country. Why do you mention only Spanish? That is the last language I would learn to placate the ethnic group here illegally by the largest numbers in our country. Most Hispanic Americans are bi-lingual so why would I need to converse with them in Spanish? No nation of peoples should be forced to learn a foreign langauge due to massive numbers of illegal aliens from that particular linguistic group.

Americans have done just fine as a mostly mono-lingual society. Don't try to change us just because some other countries do it differently. Just where are those-called economic opportunities or how does it enhance someone's education to learn Spanish? I can think of a lot more useful things for to me to learn other than Spanish.
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
-H-
 
7 posts, read 4,119 times
Reputation: 11
The economical and educational benefit come from the fact that you can take the GED in let's say, Egypt even if you do not intend to migrate or even travel to the US or any foreign country, the benefit is local regardless of the applicant residency.

And, I never said that I wanted the US to have Spanish as an official 2nd language or even forcing people to learn Spanish, French or any other language. My point is that there is nothing to be afraid of because somebody is speaking another language as far as they are able to speak the language of the country as well.

Last edited by -H-; 02-13-2010 at 09:13 PM..
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM
-H-
 
7 posts, read 4,119 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
i'm pretty liberal and a teacher.. a gay teacher i might add.. and firstly.. I do not agree with this.. while english is not our official language.. it is the language used. As an educator, I feel we would be doing a huge injustice to any child to send them out into the world without having a grasp of the language..
English is manditory for every child every year in high school for a reason. It is required for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students.. I don't understand how any other child can get around not having those credits on their transcript and graduate... it reeks of political agenda.. sorry.. but it does..
I would like to see more foreign language implemented in the schools though, so that all american students can come out of high school being somewhat fluent in atleast another language.. with that said... coming out of high school without any english skills in an english speaking country would be a blatant injustice to that child...
I like your reply
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by -H- View Post
The economical and educational benefit come from the fact that you can take the GED in let's say, Egypt even if you do not intend to migrate or even travel to the US or any foreign country, the benefit is local regardless of the applicant residency.

And, I never said that I wanted the US to have Spanish as an official 2nd language or even forcing people to learn Spanish, French or any other language. My point is that there is nothing to be afraid of because somebody is speaking another language as far as they are able to speak the language of the country as well.
Oh yes, Americans ARE being forced to speak Spanish. Many jobs expect Americans to speak Spanish to get hired. This isn't due to legal Hispanics in our country but illegal aliens. It is BS to expect any nation's citizens to learn the language of their illegal invaders to get by in their own country!

I don't care what language anyone speaks at home but assimiliation means speaking our language out in mainstream America.

I haven't a clue what you are trying to say in your first sentence.
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,928 posts, read 43,085,863 times
Reputation: 57851
OK, I'm one of the most adamant people about immigrants speaking English, but their upward mobility depends upon their getting an education, and the most basic hurdle is a GED. If they know the material, but still are not fluent, I have no problem with a Spanish version of the test.

If you really want to get me cranked about something, try showing me one of those instruction booklets that comes with something you buy in which you can't even FIND the English.
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM
-H-
 
7 posts, read 4,119 times
Reputation: 11
Then that is supply and demand. People is forced to speak all sort of languages that are not natural to tehm do get a job, nothing different from America. You need German to get some jobs in France and French for some jobs in Brazil, what is the fuzz?

I DO agree that people must speak the language of the country they are living in, but that is not the focus of GED and it really should not.

I peak a few languages and have to speak with people from different places for work, and you have no idea how xenophobic people can be in here when they hear me speaking with somebody in any language, especially when speaking French and Spanish! I am from Spain and still visit there often, and when you are speaking some other language in public people usually don't give a damn, and some even feel curious to know what language you are speaking. Mid class here in America although are a bit too jealous with the language imho.

Oh and btw, the fact that you have a GED does not mean that you can get into any University/College, to get in you will still be required to score in TOEFL since lessons and books are taught in English.

Last edited by -H-; 02-13-2010 at 09:51 PM..
 
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,192,202 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by -H- View Post
Then that is supply and demand. People is forced to speak all sort of languages that are not natural to tehm do get a job, nothing different from America. You need German to get some jobs in France and French for some jobs in Brazil, what is the fuzz?

I DO agree that people must speak the language of the country they are living in, but that is not the focus of GED and it really should not.

I peak a few languages and have to speak with people from different places for work, and you have no idea how xenophobic people can be in here when they hear me speaking with somebody in any language, especially when speaking French and Spanish! I am from Spain and still visit there often, and when you are speaking some other language in public people usually don't give a damn, and some even feel curious to know what language you are speaking. Mid class here in America although are a bit too jealous with the language imho.

Oh and btw, the fact that you have a GED does not mean that you can get into any University/College, to get in you will still be required to score in TOEFL since lessons and books are taught in English.
The difference is that we are being forced to learn Spanish because of the ILLEGAL invasion from south of our border. I thought I already made that clear in my last post. That is totally unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top