U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times

Advertisements

A person who had one yr of Spanish in college saye "me" instead of "mi". Heck...I never took a course in Spanish and I know better then that. Geeez.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 PM

77 posts, read 88,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
A person who had one yr of Spanish in college saye "me" instead of "mi". Heck...I never took a course in Spanish and I know better then that. Geeez.
You are wrong too

"me" is used in Spanish for reflexive Verb.(actions you do to yourself)The verb "need" is not reflexive and that's his mistake. Let me give an example: Graduate is. So you would say. "me graduo de high school" (I'm graduating from high school) or "quedar" stay. "me quedo en estados unidos". "I'm staying in the united States"

Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The difference is that we are being forced to learn Spanish because of the ILLEGAL invasion from south of our border. I thought I already made that clear in my last post. That is totally unfair.
Or maybe because of the large immigrant population in general. There are 40 million Hispanics in the United States...and the VAST majority are legal.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
i'm pretty liberal and a teacher.. a gay teacher i might add.. and firstly.. I do not agree with this.. while english is not our official language.. it is the language used. As an educator, I feel we would be doing a huge injustice to any child to send them out into the world without having a grasp of the language..
English is manditory for every child every year in high school for a reason. It is required for 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students.. I don't understand how any other child can get around not having those credits on their transcript and graduate... it reeks of political agenda.. sorry.. but it does..
I would like to see more foreign language implemented in the schools though, so that all american students can come out of high school being somewhat fluent in atleast another language.. with that said... coming out of high school without any english skills in an english speaking country would be a blatant injustice to that child...
Sir, can you think of any circumstance where a person would need an SAT in Spanish?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:43 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
From immigraton information:

How many Hispanics are immigrants?
Of the 46.9 million people in 2008 who identified themselves as having Hispanic or Latino ancestry, nearly two-thirds (62.0 percent) were native-born US citizens. The remaining 38.0 percent of Hispanics were immigrants.

That makes 30 million Hispanic citizens in our county who are mostly bi-lingual so they can speak English. We should learn to speak Spanish for the remaining 16 million whom at least half of them are illegal aliens? Since when should we learn the languages of immigrants anyway? We aren't migrating to their countries, they are migrating to ours and part of the assimilation process is for them to learn our language not the other way around. Americans would have to learn at least a half dozen languages to accomodate ALL immigrants and that is totally ridiculous!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM

There are Colleges and Universities in this country that offer classes of all types in Spanish and English. The Univeristy Of Mexico has a branch here in Texas. Aliens and Immigrants come in all types. Just because this is an "Illegal Alien" thread doesnt mean everyone in this country is here Illegally, or will stay in this country forever.

There are more than ten Spanish speaking countries in this Hemisphere;
If a businessman from one of those countries sends Managers here to help run a branch in the US, the Managers are able to take college courses in their native tounge. Or the reverse is also posible, What if the Manager needed to learn English while continuing his education, How would an English SAT serve him if his intention is to learn English? What is he to do, learn English, then take the SAT in english to take English Classes?

This is just a few examples of the hundreds of exmples why a Spanish language SAT would be need.

So think outside the box, Not every person that speaks Spanish is Illegal.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
There are Colleges and Universities in this country that offer classes of all types in Spanish and English. The Univeristy Of Mexico has a branch here in Texas. Aliens and Immigrants come in all types. Just because this is an "Illegal Alien" thread doesnt mean everyone in this country is here Illegally, or will stay in this country forever.

There are more than ten Spanish speaking countries in this Hemisphere;
If a businessman from one of those countries sends Managers here to help run a branch in the US, the Managers are able to take college courses in their native tounge. Or the reverse is also posible, What if the Manager needed to learn English while continuing his education, How would an English SAT serve him if his intention is to learn English? What is he to do, learn English, then take the SAT in english to take English Classes?

This is just a few examples of the hundreds of exmples why a Spanish language SAT would be need.

Again, no matter how many times it is repeated in here that no one thinks that anyone who is speaking Spanish is an illegal the same old rhetoric keeps popping up. I have often pointed out that where I live it is just as likely that a Hispanic citizen or legal immigrant is the one speaking Spanish as an illegal alien is. I have pointed out that since this is so, Spanish speakers are not assimilating. They don't want to use English as their primary language even though most Hispanic citizens know how to speak it. They are the ones most verbal about objecting to making English our official language also.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Again, no matter how many times it is repeated in here that no one thinks that anyone who is speaking Spanish is an illegal the same old rhetoric keeps popping up. I have often pointed out that where I live it is just as likely that a Hispanic citizen or legal immigrant is the one speaking Spanish as an illegal alien is. I have pointed out that since this is so, Spanish speakers are not assimilating. They don't want to use English as their primary language even though most Hispanic citizens know how to speak it. They are the ones most verbal about objecting to making English our official language also.
With all due respect, what business is it of yours what language a person uses?

My business neighbor speaks Polish all day long, he speaks Polish to his workers all day long, What do I care what language he speaks...His an American, he has Free will. He came form Communist Poland, you think Im going to TELL him what language to speak?

This is still America.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The majority of people that post here do believe that if you speak Spanish...then you are illegal. It's problematic at best...

Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Quote:
From immigraton information:

How many Hispanics are immigrants?
Of the 46.9 million people in 2008 who identified themselves as having Hispanic or Latino ancestry, nearly two-thirds (62.0 percent) were native-born US citizens. The remaining 38.0 percent of Hispanics were immigrants.

That makes 30 million Hispanic citizens in our county who are mostly bi-lingual so they can speak English. We should learn to speak Spanish for the remaining 16 million whom at least half of them are illegal aliens? Since when should we learn the languages of immigrants anyway? We aren't migrating to their countries, they are migrating to ours and part of the assimilation process is for them to learn our language not the other way around. Americans would have to learn at least a half dozen languages to accomodate ALL immigrants and that is totally ridiculous!
There are approximately 308 million people in America. Why must we assimilate to this smaller portion of non English speaking culture?

It makes no sense. Of ourse neither does spending billions upon billions for illegal invaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration