U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Probably, How so? Please do elaborate.

Benicar's post are generally well though out and make logical sense. I think in this particular post Benicar's argument revolve around the fact that children are not afforded special consideration. And my post tries to refute that.
Benicar's post indeed made sense, yours on the other hand went totally off the rail in an unrelated direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Yes we do, they get judged as minors, not adults. That why from time to time you can hear for a motion to treat a children as an adult. And their criminal records get sealed after they have turned 18.
I wasnít referring to children being treated differently; we all know we have laws and juvenile courts for that reason. I am referring to children of violators being rewarded for their parentsí lawlessness. In other words, if someone robs a bank, we donít reward their children by issuing them a $50,000 money market account. The DREAM Act rewards the children of illegal aliens, and I have a serious problem with that.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Probably, How so? Please do elaborate.

Benicar's post are generally well though out and make logical sense. I think in this particular post Benicar's argument revolve around the fact that children are not afforded special consideration. And my post tries to refute that.
No, that wasn't my point. Children who commit crimes are generally treated with more leniency than adults. This isnít an issue of juvenile delinquency; itís an issue of children of criminals being rewarded for their parentsí crimes.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:43 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, that wasn't my point. Children who commit crimes are generally treated with more leniency than adults. This isnít an issue of juvenile delinquency; itís an issue of children of criminals being rewarded for their parentsí crimes.
Ok, after re-reading your post, I see what you are saying.

So then, what happens to a child when his parents go to jail for being criminals, do they get left out on the street to fight for their own, or do they get put into foster care for a family, that the government sees as fit, to take care of them?

My position still stands, that the U.S. government does look after the children of people who have broken the law.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

So then, what happens to a child when his parents go to jail for being criminals, do they get left out on the street to fight for their own, or do they get put into foster care for a family, that the government sees as fit, to take care of them?

My position still stands, that the U.S. government does look after the children of people who have broken the law.
Itís not an issue of the government "looking after" the children of criminals. Itís an issue of the government ďrewardingĒ the children of criminals. Thatís quite different. Iím not suggesting we punish these children; just not reward them.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Quote:

Don't know where you get that logic from! The government probably only gets involved in the family if both parents are sent off to jail and their minor children are put into the system. Otherwise the government has nothing to do with minors of jailed criminals.
Should we offer reduced college tuition to ALL children who have a parent (or parents) in jail? Should we disregard income requirements and give all these "poor fatherless and/or motherless children" a big break because their parent committed a crime? Although the children had nothing to do with the crime, a crime was still committed and they unfortunately are the unlucky "victims" of their parents' stupidity.
We don't reward these children with any special discounts; therefore, why should we reward the children of illegal aliens a discount to go to college in our country? What these DREAMies should get is a one way ticket back to the country of their births... doesn't matter if they came here as infants or were born here to illegals... they DON'T belong here and deserve no special treatment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration