U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 AM

8,830 posts, read 8,963,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He is an idiot - apparently he should have just stayed in Mexico and done it there.
They should be doing everything in Mexico, where they belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 AM

8,830 posts, read 8,963,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post

Next they will tell us that WE need to accept them and their ways or we are racist, xenophobic, etc., etc. This is why allowing in these people from radically different cultures who insist on clinging to their way of life (and are encouraged to do so by their ethnic advocacy groups) is simply not going to work.
When you see those people protesting Tancredo, this is the sort of thing they're condoning by kneeling at the altar of multiculturalism.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 AM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
A year in jail for selling a human being - not to mention your own child and when the list of offenses includes child sex crimes? Even if he was an American, I'd be outraged.
As much as I find the action of the parent completely reprehensible, I do have to give some credit to the DA ( or the prosecutor that took the case ) to take cultural differences into account.

I have been watching "Lie To Me" in Hulu lately and there was this episode about a brother and sister caught with some marijuana ( I think ) in a country where possession carries the death penalty. And they show the negotiations of the U.S. government in order to bring them back. ( The one they really wanted back was a U.S. spy but...no more spoilers, the show is good).I am aware that the crimes are very different; but, I think, this example serves to illustrate a point.

What would you guys think about this case if it was real, and their laws would have been applied with disregard for the individuals cultural background? - I would think that it was a barbaric punishment for such a small crime.

Now, It's likely that the indigenous group lacks the resources to negotiate the release of the individual. And, I think the individual should be punished for doing it on U.S. territory. But, at the same time, I think the prosecutor correctly used his discretion by punishing the man using a sentence large enough that he will not likely forget, yet smaller than what a person from a society where that specific crime is also a reprehensively act would receive.

I wonder what would had happened if the couple would have gone to Mexico, gotten married and the returned to the U.S. Would the marriage still been a recognized marriage here?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
As much as I find the action of the parent completely reprehensible, I do have to give some credit to the DA ( or the prosecutor that took the case ) to take cultural differences into account.

I have been watching "Lie To Me" in Hulu lately and there was this episode about a brother and sister caught with some marijuana ( I think ) in a country where possession carries the death penalty. And they show the negotiations of the U.S. government in order to bring them back. ( The one they really wanted back was a U.S. spy but...no more spoilers, the show is good).I am aware that the crimes are very different; but, I think, this example serves to illustrate a point.

What would you guys think about this case if it was real, and their laws would have been applied with disregard for the individuals cultural background? - I would think that it was a barbaric punishment for such a small crime.

Now, It's likely that the indigenous group lacks the resources to negotiate the release of the individual. And, I think the individual should be punished for doing it on U.S. territory. But, at the same time, I think the prosecutor correctly used his discretion by punishing the man using a sentence large enough that he will not likely forget, yet smaller than what a person from a society where that specific crime is also a reprehensively act would receive.

I wonder what would had happened if the couple would have gone to Mexico, gotten married and the returned to the U.S. Would the marriage still been a recognized marriage here?
Your post did bring up some very valid points.

And; I believe that one state has a 'Romeo and Juliet' exemption, meaning if one partner is 5 years older or less than the other, read that child molestation chargers would not apply-----------provided the younger person is at least age 14 or 15.

Also; in parts of Europe, a girl need only be age 14 to give sexual consent-------so statutory rape charges would be moot.

Just in this particular case-----------the man being here illegally did not help his case one iota. In other words; an American may not have been nailed as severely---------if at all.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
That starts to take us onto some pretty thing ice.

So we're going to have a law that says it's okay to sell 14 year old Mexican girls for beer and cash but not American black girls, or American white girls?

Is it okay for Saudis to whip their wives here because they can do so legally back home?

By taking cultural differences into accounts, it has to lead to different protections for different groups of people, including those who have no right to be here at all. The real answer is to limit legal immigration only to those people who have the ability and education to assimilate into our ways, not set up different kinds of laws for those who choose to be here illegally.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your post did bring up some very valid points.

And; I believe that one state has a 'Romeo and Juliet' exemption, meaning if one partner is 5 years older or less than the other, read that child molestation chargers would not apply-----------provided the younger person is at least age 14 or 15.

Also; in parts of Europe, a girl need only be age 14 to give sexual consent-------so statutory rape charges would be moot.

Just in this particular case-----------the man being here illegally did not help his case one iota. In other words; an American may not have been nailed as severely---------if at all.

Romeo laws shouldn't involve prostitution. This case did, the father sold his young daughter for beer and cash. Selling women should not be tolerated in this country even if the girl is hispanic.

This wasn't a legal marriage at all -- it was never intended to be. There was no priest, no judge and none would have married the couple knowing the terms. It was nothing but a father pimping out his daughter for beer and cash.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Quote:

When you're in a foreign country, you should know their laws, and follow them. If you're in a country where possessing marijuana is punishable by death, then why on earth would you have it??

It's illegal to posess marijuana in the U.S. too, so this brother/sister (although fictional) are just plain idiots.

With regard to an illegal alien selling his 14-year-old daughter and then asking for leniency because it's part of his culture back home, TOUGH. First, you shouldn't even be in the U.S., and second, if you are going to be here, then LEARN AND FOLLOW OUR LAWS.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
They should be doing everything in Mexico, where they belong.
I know. If you read some of my other posts on the Illegal Immigration forum, you'll see I am vehemently ANTI-illegal.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Romeo laws shouldn't involve prostitution. This case did, the father sold his young daughter for beer and cash. Selling women should not be tolerated in this country even if the girl is hispanic.

This wasn't a legal marriage at all -- it was never intended to be. There was no priest, no judge and none would have married the couple knowing the terms. It was nothing but a father pimping out his daughter for beer and cash.
That puts a different slant on things: the 'father' needs to do some hard time in a US prison, then be deported.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That puts a different slant on things: the 'father' needs to do some hard time in a US prison, then be deported.
It's interesting that the news media tried to portray the 14 year old girl as a "bride" when there was never a marriage at all. I think because it looks better to pretend that in this other culture, the father only meant for his daughter to be legally married but at a young age but if the father had attempted to have the girl married off, he would have then discovered that in California, 14 year old girls can't be married and certainly not for beer and cash.

There was no wedding, no engagement, no marriage. It was prostitution -- the worst kind -- the girl's own father handing her over to an older man -- sex in exchange for money and beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or