U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

An appellate court has reversed a Westbury Village justice's decision to throw out a charge against a man accused of driving without a license, because the justice raised issues that the man's own lawyer didn't raise.

In December 2007, Village Justice Thomas Liotti issued a decision dismissing a charge of unlicensed driving against Rafael Quiroga Puma, 22, suggesting that Puma could not get a license because he is an illegal immigrant. Liotti went on to say that the state code on unlicensed driving is unconstitutional because it does not allow illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses.

But an appellate decision released this week said that lawyers in the case had not presented any evidence to show that Puma, who had three prior convictions for unlicensed driving, was an illegal immigrant or that he had ever applied for a driver's license.


Court reverses dismissal of unlicensed driving charge -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/topic/ny-lidriv0912747340may08,0,7254680.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Reputation: 4539
It just gets worse and worse. It's tantamount to someone whose license has been revoked complaining that an unlicensed driving charge is invalid since the state could not re-issue them a license.

Another pro-illegal activist judge...but AT LEAST the appellate court did the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It just gets worse and worse. It's tantamount to someone whose license has been revoked complaining that an unlicensed driving charge is invalid since the state could not re-issue them a license.

Another pro-illegal activist judge...but AT LEAST the appellate court did the right thing.
The crazy is indeed in full force isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,773,603 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The crazy is indeed in full force isn't it?
Watch me get in trouble here, but, what does it take to change this maddness? Citizen Revolt??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Watch me get in trouble here, but, what does it take to change this maddness? Citizen Revolt??
With each day that passes and the insanity continues the closer we are coming to a citizen revolt. The atmosphere is both toxic and electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
But an appellate decision released this week said that lawyers in the case had not presented any evidence to show that Puma, who had three prior convictions for unlicensed driving, was an illegal immigrant or that he had ever applied for a driver's license.
We have now entered into The Twilight Zone. Evidently, the appellate decision would have been in favor of this guy had his lawyers produced evidence of his illegal status. Or, I am misinterpreting this? This is really getting scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have now entered into The Twilight Zone. Evidently, the appellate decision would have been in favor of this guy had his lawyers produced evidence of his illegal status. Or, I am misinterpreting this? This is really getting scary.
It's as if the majority of those appointed to preside over and serve in the best interest of the American people are on crack.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-09-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have now entered into The Twilight Zone. Evidently, the appellate decision would have been in favor of this guy had his lawyers produced evidence of his illegal status. Or, I am misinterpreting this? This is really getting scary.
Good lord! I didn't actually read that part.

So...the appellate court would have been just as stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We have now entered into The Twilight Zone. Evidently, the appellate decision would have been in favor of this guy had his lawyers produced evidence of his illegal status. Or, I am misinterpreting this? This is really getting scary.
I think you have interpret it correctly, the only reason this was thrown away it was due to the judge introducing it instead of the lawyer. I don't think it was too far fetched to think that his might have been the original intention of the judge. To have a superior court throw away an argument without considering the argument but because a of a procedural issue.

I wonder if this sets precedence for future cases?

As a matter of opinion, I agree with the judge, how can the man be charged for driving without a license when he's unable to get one? And it's not due to poor driving performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,763,873 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I think you have interpret it correctly, the only reason this was thrown away it was due to the judge introducing it instead of the lawyer. I don't think it was too far fetched to think that his might have been the original intention of the judge. To have a superior court throw away an argument without considering the argument but because a of a procedural issue.

I wonder if this sets precedence for future cases?

As a matter of opinion, I agree with the judge, how can the man be charged for driving without a license when he's unable to get one? And it's not due to poor driving performance.
Again...if you are pro-illegal, you should not come to the Illegal Immigration forum. The rest of us DO NOT like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top