Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,525,324 times

Advertisements

I certainly hope this isn’t an indication that we can expect more of the status quo.

Quote:
On everything from national security to climate change to immigration, liberal groups are saying the president's recent actions contradict his soothing ability to convince them that he will move dramatically on their issues. It follows a first 100 days in which Mr. Obama largely avoided any compromises on pressing his economic agenda.

But questions loom on some of the biggest issues. Advocates of an overhaul of immigration laws -- including a pathway to citizenship for the 12 million illegal immigrants in the country -- are growing especially restive.

"The president has to lead. He has to use his bully pulpit this spring to catapult the issue forward," said Ali Noorani, executive director of the National Immigration Forum, an umbrella group that advocates a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. He said he expects some public address by Mr. Obama soon. Mr. Emanuel said he could offer no assurances any immigration event is planned in the near future.
Liberals Fret Over Obama's Compromises - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,173,218 times
I ain't frettin'.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,389,517 times
I tend to believe what Rahm has stated and he is closer to Obama than anyone else in his cabinet.

Rahm is not fond of illegal aliens and he realizes that it would be political suicide to even suggest amnesty is being considered. I am sure that he has had similar conversations with Obama to that effect as well.

Not only would Americans shut down the switchboards, the mobs that attended the tea parties would pale in comparison to the number of angry Americans who will take to the streets in protest.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I tend to believe what Rahm has stated and he is closer to Obama than anyone else in his cabinet.

Rahm is not fond of illegal aliens and he realizes that it would be political suicide to even suggest amnesty is being considered. I am sure that he has had similar conversations with Obama to that effect as well.

Not only would Americans shut down the switchboards, the mobs that attended the tea parties would pale in comparison to the number of angry Americans who will take to the streets in protest.
I hope you're right.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,300,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

I would agree with this... Sen. Feinstein's push to legalize illegal farmworkers is a likely litmus test to see public reaction on the immigration issue..

If there is a push for Amnesty, the 2010 midterm elections could turn out to be the "2nd Republican Revolution" in the House and Senate and guaranteeing that President Obama will be a one term President..

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
I would agree with this... Sen. Feinstein's push to legalize illegal farmworkers is a likely litmus test to see public reaction on the immigration issue..

If there is a push for Amnesty, the 2010 midterm elections could turn out to be the "2nd Republican Revolution" in the House and Senate and guaranteeing that President Obama will be a one term President..
Especially if the economy does not dramatically improve by November 2010.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 AM

804 posts, read 1,357,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post

If there is a push for Amnesty, the 2010 midterm elections could turn out to be the "2nd Republican Revolution" in the House and Senate and guaranteeing that President Obama will be a one term President.

I doubt this would be the case judging from the post regarding the poll done by Fox news (Newest Fox News Immigration Poll) . The if correct it would hint that at least the majority would be happy with the path to legalization. And even if not consecutively, I would think that those who became legal would support Obama for another term 5 years later, once they have become citizens and are able to vote.

The sheer numbers of illegal immigrants make the group politically enticing, and with the the country's half-half divided opinion, they might be the "feather that tips the scale".

It might also be the case that once their status is legalized their opinion on the problem is switched since they are not directly affected by it, and now the new illegal immigrants would be their competitors. And they would fear them, like the current U.S. citizens competing for the same jobs and living in the same neighborhoods now do. Also, since they are legal now, they will be able to bring their families through legal pathways and call those who come here illegally 'criminals'

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I doubt this would be the case judging from the post regarding the poll done by Fox news (Newest Fox News Immigration Poll) . The if correct it would hint that at least the majority would be happy with the path to legalization. And even if not consecutively, I would think that those who became legal would support Obama for another term 5 years later, once they have become citizens and are able to vote.

The sheer numbers of illegal immigrants make the group politically enticing, and with the the country's half-half divided opinion, they might be the "feather that tips the scale".

It might also be the case that once their status is legalized their opinion on the problem is switched since they are not directly affected by it, and now the new illegal immigrants would be their competitors. And they would fear them, like the current U.S. citizens competing for the same jobs and living in the same neighborhoods now do. Also, since they are legal now, they will be able to bring their families through legal pathways and call those who come here illegally 'criminals'
I don’t give much credence to polls; and I don’t believe it’s an even split.

Your last paragraph is spot-on. If we grant amnesty, newly legalized illegal aliens will change; and illegal immigration will continue.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 AM

291 posts, read 413,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post

Wow, this is already true in as much as once they become legal and assimilate they feel superior , rightly so. if you work to become an american then you have rights.
But in contrast what i see is the ones that made it, want to keep the ones not legal at their service by getting them to help pay the rent and various other bills as a right to be helped to citizenship. this is why the law is screwed up with the they can bring all the family with you , too many keep coming with nothing to offer to the greater good only small networks that are vested in the country they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration