U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,774,961 times
Reputation: 4539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Oh really, "The facts" like many of the Food Recalls due to the Spinich Scare, the Green Onion scare, etc.. The rise in these new illnesses..

The "Facts" like the HIGHER crime rates in Border States.. The "Facts" like the reports released that Mexican Drug Cartels were spotted in many U.S. States..

Wanting to live in a Safe Place where one can walk the streets without seeing Norteno and Soreno Graffiti, Wanting to be able to go into a restaurant and not have to worry about getting food poisoned because the workers follow appropriate sanitation techniques (I Won't even go into incidents of co-workers from Mexico who felt that used Toilet paper belonged in the Garbage can and not flushed down the toilet because that's the way it was in Mexico), Wanting to not have your pockets picked for higher taxes so that some illegal alien came come and drop 3 kids, Wanting to be able to communicate with in the language that YOUR country is in without it being EXPECTED that you communicate in Spanish in YOUR country IS NOT some "psychological quest for nostalga" but real life issues affecting real life people brought upon Americans by criminals who should NOT have entered this country to begin with..
Great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,081,161 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Oh really, "The facts" like many of the Food Recalls due to the Spinich Scare, the Green Onion scare, etc.. The rise in these new illnesses..

The "Facts" like the HIGHER crime rates in Border States.. The "Facts" like the reports released that Mexican Drug Cartels were spotted in many U.S. States..

Wanting to live in a Safe Place where one can walk the streets without seeing Norteno and Soreno Graffiti, Wanting to be able to go into a restaurant and not have to worry about getting food poisoned because the workers follow appropriate sanitation techniques (I Won't even go into incidents of co-workers from Mexico who felt that used Toilet paper belonged in the Garbage can and not flushed down the toilet because that's the way it was in Mexico), Wanting to not have your pockets picked for higher taxes so that some illegal alien came come and drop 3 kids, Wanting to be able to communicate with in the language that YOUR country is in without it being EXPECTED that you communicate in Spanish in YOUR country IS NOT some "psychological quest for nostalga" but real life issues affecting real life people brought upon Americans by criminals who should NOT have entered this country to begin with..
Spinach is recalled for the "potential for Salmonella", which is quite different than actually being contaminated. The thing with technology is people get riled up. Prevention is key, but mass hysteria (which happened with swine flu, peanut contamination, pistachios...and a whole host of other foodstuff) should not be the goal.

Higher crime rates on the border states. Maybe because the border states also had the nation's worst economy. Crime was bound to go up. Crime on the border was really low. San Diego and San Antonio, two of the nation's safest cities, are located on the border. I can tell you for a fact, San Diego is still a safe community.

As for your co-workers, that's just them. I've never met a Mexican, or any other person for that matter, who did that. Hell, in Africa they flush the toilet paper down, as in the rest of the world. Again, I'm pretty sure it's just your co-workers.

Well, we're communicating in English. I bought my lunch on Friday from an immigrant. I don't speak Spanish. You know, I actually talked about that with my dad the other day...we tried to think of the times we did not get our orders right due to language. I don't think it has ever happened to me. And I go down to Santa Ana and downtown Los Angeles, not at Taco Bell. So you can chalk it to whatever its worth.

Nostalgia is def. not a quest. It just happens. It seems to strike people who are less able to adapt. It happens to everyone. Life sometimes gives a curveball that we just can't hit. It's different things for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,511 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Spinach is recalled for the "potential for Salmonella", which is quite different than actually being contaminated. The thing with technology is people get riled up. Prevention is key, but mass hysteria (which happened with swine flu, peanut contamination, pistachios...and a whole host of other foodstuff) should not be the goal.

Higher crime rates on the border states. Maybe because the border states also had the nation's worst economy. Crime was bound to go up. Crime on the border was really low. San Diego and San Antonio, two of the nation's safest cities, are located on the border. I can tell you for a fact, San Diego is still a safe community.

As for your co-workers, that's just them. I've never met a Mexican, or any other person for that matter, who did that. Hell, in Africa they flush the toilet paper down, as in the rest of the world. Again, I'm pretty sure it's just your co-workers.

Well, we're communicating in English. I bought my lunch on Friday from an immigrant. I don't speak Spanish. You know, I actually talked about that with my dad the other day...we tried to think of the times we did not get our orders right due to language. I don't think it has ever happened to me. And I go down to Santa Ana and downtown Los Angeles, not at Taco Bell. So you can chalk it to whatever its worth.

Nostalgia is def. not a quest. It just happens. It seems to strike people who are less able to adapt. It happens to everyone. Life sometimes gives a curveball that we just can't hit. It's different things for different folks.

It seems evident that you are either 1) Very young or 2) looking at the world through "rose colored glasses" or 3) Smokin' some really good stuff..

The Spinach food poisoning cases occurred due to ACTUAL people becoming Ill from Spinach based out of Salinas, CA..

Why do you suppose there are higher crime rates and rates of poverty along border states? Illegal Aliens from Mexico bring in poverty and bring in crime.. You say "San Diego is still safe", what about the statistics that point out that there were 59 Homicides in San Diego last year or the 213 homicides in Phoenix or the 200 homicides in Dallas, TX??

Also regarding the "Toilet paper issue", there are VARIOUS threads about this IF you use Google here is one:

Mexican friend throwing toilet paper in trash instead of toiled...? - Yahoo!7 Answers

and another:
toilet trianing mexicans - Is It Normal? - http://isitnormal.com

Apparently it is an issue with the drainage in Mexico, but it is a custom that I really don't want someone that is preparing my food in a restaurant to be following..

Again, this has nothing to do with "Nostalga", it has much to do with American citizens being victimized by people who should NOT have been in this country in the first place.. And the problem is NOT with "Immigrants", it is with Illegal Aliens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 AM
 
339 posts, read 627,643 times
Reputation: 167
Yes. Two good friends of mine were murdered by illegals who had been deported multiple times. The murders were about 3-4 years apart. The second friend of mine that was murdered was from Mexico originally and went through the proper channels to become a citizen. He also served in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I've been to Chicago after the "sanctuary city enactment" and it seems nice.

Weird noting that "Americans are fleeing" Chicago when it's experienced significant Gentrification. A LOT of my White California friends have moved to Chicago since it is the new "it" place. The Mercer group ranked it the 44th best city in the world.

As for the whole stringent food regulation thing...yeah. A lot things are more political and hyped. The swine flu epidemic is a great example. Was it a threat? Yeah. However, the way that they determined it was swine flu was with the old method of illness determination, prior to genetic testing.
On the surface of all cells are glycolipid markers. Tons of these markers. So at site N1 and H1 were markers. However, this virus was a hybrid of other flus and did not produce the same proteins and thus did not have the same effect as the 1918 epidemic. Me and a genetics buddy realized this at the height of the hysteria. With increased media comes, well, increased information.

Nostalgia makes people believe that their current situation is worse. In actuality, more times than not, the situation is the same. Psychologists have noted that nostalgia is VERY strong in tainting even recent events. Nostalgia is a very strong thing, which should not dictate our decisions. Instead, cold hard facts...simply numbers (not stories of an "illegal crime wave" that occurred at the safest point in our nation's history, not stories of poor immigrants with kids...have to be fair at times, right?). The facts point out that we are doing okay, as compared to previous points in our nation's history.

There is a differenc between nostalgia and history. History's aim is more objective, nostalgia is purely subjective.
I'm sure it is by design and not by accident that you ignored discussing the number of school children being murdered in Chicago, which is indeed in relation to Chicago's sanctuary policies. In addition to the multitude of stories posted on this forum daily, there are numerous websites that repeatedly provide statistics and stories that point to the destruction and chaos that illegal aliens have created in the lives of citizens all over America. Whether you acknowledge the truth and reality is your choice. At the end of the day the vast majority of Americans want illegal aliens and their destruction out of this country and nostalgia has nothing to do with it. What "seems" nice to those of you who support illegal immigration obviously depends on how deportation of illegal aliens will affect your life, doesn't it? Living in denial does not make reality disappear.

*****************
Really concerned about "wasted lives," Obama? Then work to secure our borders, enforce existing laws, and deport all criminal illegal aliens now residing in America!
http://www.borderfirereport.net/john-w.-lillpop/wasted-lives-4-380-americans-murdered-by-illegal-aliens-each-year.html
_________________

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-11-2009 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 03:12 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Oh really, "The facts" like many of the Food Recalls due to the Spinich Scare, the Green Onion scare, etc.. The rise in these new illnesses..

The "Facts" like the HIGHER crime rates in Border States.. The "Facts" like the reports released that Mexican Drug Cartels were spotted in many U.S. States..

Wanting to live in a Safe Place where one can walk the streets without seeing Norteno and Soreno Graffiti, Wanting to be able to go into a restaurant and not have to worry about getting food poisoned because the workers follow appropriate sanitation techniques (I Won't even go into incidents of co-workers from Mexico who felt that used Toilet paper belonged in the Garbage can and not flushed down the toilet because that's the way it was in Mexico), Wanting to not have your pockets picked for higher taxes so that some illegal alien came come and drop 3 kids, Wanting to be able to communicate with in the language that YOUR country is in without it being EXPECTED that you communicate in Spanish in YOUR country IS NOT some "psychological quest for nostalga" but real life issues affecting real life people brought upon Americans by criminals who should NOT have entered this country to begin with..
Excellent post. Sorry I can't rep you again yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,081,161 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
It seems evident that you are either 1) Very young or 2) looking at the world through "rose colored glasses" or 3) Smokin' some really good stuff..

The Spinach food poisoning cases occurred due to ACTUAL people becoming Ill from Spinach based out of Salinas, CA..

Why do you suppose there are higher crime rates and rates of poverty along border states? Illegal Aliens from Mexico bring in poverty and bring in crime.. You say "San Diego is still safe", what about the statistics that point out that there were 59 Homicides in San Diego last year or the 213 homicides in Phoenix or the 200 homicides in Dallas, TX??

Also regarding the "Toilet paper issue", there are VARIOUS threads about this IF you use Google here is one:

Mexican friend throwing toilet paper in trash instead of toiled...? - Yahoo!7 Answers

and another:
toilet trianing mexicans - Is It Normal? - http://isitnormal.com

Apparently it is an issue with the drainage in Mexico, but it is a custom that I really don't want someone that is preparing my food in a restaurant to be following..

Again, this has nothing to do with "Nostalga", it has much to do with American citizens being victimized by people who should NOT have been in this country in the first place.. And the problem is NOT with "Immigrants", it is with Illegal Aliens...
Actually no, that was in 2007 that the recall hit CA...so umm...it has not been confirmed in CA, but on the midwest (out of WI, not CA).

Well considering the fact that San Diego is the 6th safest large city in the union and consistently ranked as one of the most liveable cities, well, that's mighty fine. San Antonio was 8th, and El Paso was 2nd. San Jose (not on the border, but in CA was 1st). Ain't that somethin'?
City Crime Rankings by Population Group

I think it's 2006, but still fairly relevant.

Oh, I actually spoke to Mexicans tonight (I figured what the hell being in LA and all), they laughed at the notion of throwing toliet paper away. Due to the septic system in Mexico, no...but the majority here in America do actually flush...so it's all good. Also it depends on the individual septic tanks and pipes as well in Mexico.

Nostalgia (which I believed I added the "i" maybe not...but who really cares) is again not about victimization or abuse...but rather an inability to change. That's all. It's the inability to see the present circumstances and a yearning for the past. Typically, present situations are seen as "bad" and past situations are seen as ideal. These past situations do not include any unfavorable aspects.

Just realize that facts are still facts.

BTW...
Detroit (which has a small illegal immigrant population) was ranked the least safest large city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 04:07 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,081,161 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I'm sure it is by design and not by accident that you ignored discussing the number of school children being murdered in Chicago, which is indeed in relation to Chicago's sanctuary policies. In addition to the multitude of stories posted on this forum daily, there are numerous websites that repeatedly provide statistics and stories that point to the destruction and chaos that illegal aliens have created in the lives of citizens all over America. Whether you acknowledge the truth and reality is your choice. At the end of the day the vast majority of Americans want illegal aliens and their destruction out of this country and nostalgia has nothing to do with it. What "seems" nice to those of you who support illegal immigration obviously depends on how deportation of illegal aliens will affect your life, doesn't it? Living in denial does not make reality disappear.

*****************

Really concerned about "wasted lives," Obama? Then work to secure our borders, enforce existing laws, and deport all criminal illegal aliens now residing in America!
http://www.borderfirereport.net/john-w.-lillpop/wasted-lives-4-380-americans-murdered-by-illegal-aliens-each-year.html
_________________
What? You mostly post tales of woe on this entire website...so not really the most unbiased source.

Nostalgia has a lot to do with a lack of reform that acknowleges both sides.

Geez take a chill pill...smoke a little weed...drink a little wine...

Deportation will affect me sine MY generation will pay for the $$$. And frankly $$$ that aids people (Americans and non alike) will be better spent. See, you'll be dead when me and my generation will be in the middle of sending our kids to college and paying off wars. So I'd rather see MY $$ (again anyone over 40 will not have to pay...or will pay less) be spent on schools and hospitals.

We have a finite amount of resources. Let's spend it on the poor.

Also the websites you provide typically are biased, unreliable and frankly a farce. A few are okay...but the most part it's really pandering and almost insulting to those that agree with you.

Think of "Passion of the Christ". There was a reason why the "passion plays" were not popular during the modern era. It's because they were too emotional in their appeal. Same with a lot of your arguments. They are too emotional and lack credibility. Have you ever wondered why only the same people have applauded your efforts? Have you ever wondered why the same people posted the same views? Have you ever wondered why the lack of variance in this forum? Have you ever wondered why those "against" typically never have a united front and also change from time to time?

The answer is not because only you guys have the answer. But anyways...instead of working against each other...why not find an actual solution...let's work with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,895,723 times
Reputation: 6517
As far as I am concerned every legal citizen of this Nation has been directly affected by illegals. From skyrocketing hospital costs to increases in tax debt due to having to pay for non taxed illegals in our public schools. How many know friends who have lost their livelihood due to low balling illegals? How can anyone say illegal immigration does not affect them? Their burden is shared by all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Texas
327 posts, read 669,425 times
Reputation: 127
No, I haven't been affected at all and I live in Texas. I've had plenty of trouble with legal Americans though, but hey, at least they were legal!!!

I see the same old "Sky is falling and it's all the poor illegal Mexicans fault !" crowd still post the same vile rhetoric as always here.

I don't deny we need immigration reform and a secure border, but I also have enough sense to see that most illegal immigrants aren't bad people and just want a better life.

Fact: Houston, a city with plenty of immigrants, legal and illegal, has seen a decline in crime. I don't suppose anyone here gets excited about news stories like that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top