U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM

974 posts, read 1,357,343 times

Advertisements

They do not pay for anything. The American tax payer takes that off their shoulders. They did not break a law, their parents did. They knowingly brought a child to the states illegally. The right thing for that child to do would be to go back to the home country as soon as he/she is of age and come here legally. That would show the American citizen that he wants to be here and do for himself. I mean if they are all such fine upstanding citizens and good students, there should be no problem finding a sponsor for them right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,098,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
They do not pay for anything. The American tax payer takes that off their shoulders. They did not break a law, their parents did. They knowingly brought a child to the states illegally. The right thing for that child to do would be to go back to the home country as soon as he/she is of age and come here legally. That would show the American citizen that he wants to be here and do for himself. I mean if they are all such fine upstanding citizens and good students, there should be no problem finding a sponsor for them right?
So disrupt a productive life just to be on the right side of an arbritrary line? If they are in college, or are working...these people are an asset. Why would we disrupt what they are doing? Couldn't we create a law that states that if you entered the country at such an age and meet certain criteria, you can gain a either citizenship or obtain a Visa and then apply for citizenship?

If you are not a criminal, if you are working or enrolled in school, and you have lived in the US for 12 years or more (I don't know a good number, I've not done studies to see the average child age of entry.)

Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,836,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So disrupt a productive life just to be on the right side of an arbritrary line? If they are in college, or are working...these people are an asset. Why would we disrupt what they are doing? Couldn't we create a law that states that if you entered the country at such an age and meet certain criteria, you can gain a either citizenship or obtain a Visa and then apply for citizenship?

If you are not a criminal, if you are working or enrolled in school, and you have lived in the US for 12 years or more (I don't know a good number, I've not done studies to see the average child age of entry.)
If they are working, they are not paying income taxes unless they have committed identity theft.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If they are working, they are not paying income taxes unless they have committed identity theft.
They pay Social Security taxes, sales taxes...and a majority of them do pay payroll taxes with SS numbers that can't obtain benefits. So identity theft to the benefit of the US (they pay taxes in which they can't recieve some benefits...specifically social security). SS would actually run out faster if it were not for immigrants in general.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Thus even more an incentive to legalize them.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
They pay Social Security taxes, sales taxes...and a majority of them do pay payroll taxes with SS numbers that can't obtain benefits. So identity theft to the benefit of the US (they pay taxes in which they can't recieve some benefits...specifically social security). SS would actually run out faster if it were not for immigrants in general.
Illegals do not pay into SS. Legal immigrants, yes. I find it amusing that you use phrases such as "immigrants in general." For the millionth time, illegal aliens are not immigrants.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-13-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Thus even more an incentive to legalize them.
No. They will still be undereducated with few, if any, real job skills. Those people take more than they put in.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:26 AM

33,057 posts, read 30,327,390 times
Quote:
If they are claiming max exemptions (which they are doing unless complete idiots) not very much of anything is being taken out.

And, I can guarantee you the Home Depot type Illegals are getting paid under the table. In both cases they are sending back billions in remittances of which the US will never see again. It's a one way trip for those dollars.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM

61,533 posts, read 31,152,587 times
Quote:
So disrupt a productive life just to be on the right side of an arbritrary line? If they are in college, or are working...these people are an asset. Why would we disrupt what they are doing?

Oh, Hell no!

Boot them right out the door!!

They are using what is meant for my American born and raised child.
My daughter has to suffer because of these free loaders.

This is worst then war! It is a silent killer, that has gone on too long, and it is just now starting to kill the American economy, with the burdens they bring with them. My cost to live has risen, because of their free loading. They are a burden on the American society and wealth.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Illegals do not pay into SS. Legal immigrants, yes. I find it amusing that you use phrases such as "immigrants in general." For the millionth time, illegal aliens are not immigrants.
Yeah, they do. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/05/bu...migration.html

Immigrant: a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there (wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn )

Which is exactly what they are doing...hence why there are multiple generations of Hispanics who can trace back via illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration