U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:53 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times

Advertisements

Have criminal aliens directly affected your life in any way?

I'm not intending for there to be posts saying "they cost me money through taxes"; what I'm looking for is whether anyone has suffered direct harm through loss of a job, being victimized by a criminal act, a friend or family member having been victimized, etc.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-10-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:55 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
My Condo and then my house have been broken into by them. Once by a recently fired lawn care group and another by some Canyon dwellers. Some in the first were caught in the second the Police chased them off but did recover some stolen property.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
stick with me 1 moment.

there you go kidnap and torture of a senior
sandy is a personal friend of mine.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Deputies-Discover-Kidnapped-Brutalized-La-Mesa/4ZgPfw9e902BY2QN1sC16w.cspx (broken link)

Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Were those three here Illegally? I thought they were Americans?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
No and I live in SoCal. Actually had far worse happen to me from people who were anti-illegal ($200 stolen from me, playstation remote, my side view mirrors bashed in twice, my brother's car was stolen only to be set on fire, a KKK guy pulled a shotgun on me, the list sadly goes on...).

The point is that the sad reality is that there are bad people in every group. I chalk up these incidents to just that...individual incidents. Yes, there are underlying sociological influences that tie them all together (for the first 3, more ubermench type crimes...feeling above the law, since a bunch of college kids did these. The last two were more due to poverty, since the guy who pulled a gun on me was the poorest person on the block BY FAR!!! While most in my neighborhood made between 60-100k a year, his family was making 30k for a family of 4).

Was I mad? Yeah. However, understanding why these things happen from their perspective is critical to understanding how to prevent crime.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,186,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No and I live in SoCal. Actually had far worse happen to me from people who were anti-illegal ($200 stolen from me, playstation remote, my side view mirrors bashed in twice, my brother's car was stolen only to be set on fire, a KKK guy pulled a shotgun on me, the list sadly goes on...).

The point is that the sad reality is that there are bad people in every group. I chalk up these incidents to just that...individual incidents. Yes, there are underlying sociological influences that tie them all together (for the first 3, more ubermench type crimes...feeling above the law, since a bunch of college kids did these. The last two were more due to poverty, since the guy who pulled a gun on me was the poorest person on the block BY FAR!!! While most in my neighborhood made between 60-100k a year, his family was making 30k for a family of 4).

Was I mad? Yeah. However, understanding why these things happen from their perspective is critical to understanding how to prevent crime.
My house has been broken in before. The police was never able to find the guy. There is no way to know if the thief was an illegal alien or not. The point is that many people have been victims of crimes committed by people who should not been in the country.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:14 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
My house has been broken in before. The police was never able to find the guy. There is no way to know if the thief was an illegal alien or not. The point is that many people have been victims of crimes committed by people who should not been in the country.
And the worst part about it is many illegal aliens (of any race/ethnicity) hide amongst many folks of similar heritage who are here legally or are even US citizens. So 'guilt by association' becomes a factor here.

Illegal alien Latinos as a group along with some Irish, Chinese and a few others are the worst offenders.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM

60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times
The so called "Piece Work: Going Rate" of the services I have provided since the mid 70's, when we were thought of as well respected craftsmen and women, has been stagnant for 20 years or more, if not way less in some cases. My career I chose that was once profitable enough to raise a family, quickly became poverty levels, as the cost of living has risen. The career I love working with my hands as an artist to perfection, has been labeled one of those jobs Americans don't want to do.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,766,418 times
Thanks for all the posts.

Huck, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

1AngryTaxPayer, I'm sorry to hear about your condo and house.

I should mention when I said "criminal aliens," I meant ALL illegal aliens, not only those that have committed crimes other than immigration offenses. Since they are committing a crime by merely breathing our air, I've decided that is the most fitting title.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The so called "Piece Work: Going Rate" of the services I have provided since the mid 70's, when we were thought of as well respected craftsmen and women, has been stagnant for 20 years or more, if not way less in some cases. My career I chose that was once profitable enough to raise a family, quickly became poverty levels, as the cost of living has risen. The career I love working with my hands as an artist to perfection, has been labeled one of those jobs Americans don't want to do.
Too many people today think if some things are cheaper due in part to outsourcing-------------by extension, everything else should be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration