Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times

Advertisements

Just kidding with the title, eh.

Willamette Week | “He’s an... Illegal Eh-lien” | February 20th, 2008

Across this board, I have many times read that the number of illegal aliens coming from Mexico and other Latin American countries is somehow attributed to an 'inferior' Hispanic culture. That the fact that the majority of illegals from Mexico somehow makes a commentary on Mexican or Hispanic culture, showing it to be illegitimate and inferior.

I think many underestimate, if not ignore, how much the fact that Mexico shares a long land border with the United States has to do with the number of illegal aliens from Mexico/Central America in this country.

The United States is the most powerful, and one of the richest countries in the world.

It presents itself as country of opportunity with a rich history of immigration. Countless stories of people arriving in this country poor with children that grow up to lead successful comfortable lives.

There is a lot of poverty in Mexico and Central America, and let's face, it's very easy to cross that land border without going through the long and sometimes difficult process of immigration. That's why many people from places like China and Russia choose to go through Mexico illegally. And those people are coming from very far away!

To the north of us, we have Canada. A middle class country that is very much like the United States itself. They too have a long, mostly unguarded border with the United States.

But even with one of the world's best health care system, even though the country is a safe one that is mostly middle class, there is still about 70,000 Canadian illegal immigrants living in the US.
Sure it pales in contrast to the number of illegal Mexicans, but that is still a very large number for a country as well off as Canada.

Does that make some kind of commentary on their culture?
Or is it just the fact that we share a land border that is easy to cross?
If a country like Britain or Germany or Japan was in Canada's place, would we have 70,000 illegals from those countries?

What if a country like South Africa, China, or Korea was to our south instead of Mexico?

As far as the smuggling of drugs and terrorists, what better place than the unguarded Canadian border? What if to the north of Canada, there were jungles that were used for the mass production of drugs?

Mohawks Accused of Smuggling Drugs Across U.S.-Canada Border

17 held in U.S.-Canada human smuggling ring - On Deadline - USATODAY.com

B.C. truck driver admits smuggling drugs into U.S.

US agents close drug-smuggling tunnel to Canada and arrest five - Americas, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-agents-close-drugsmuggling-tunnel-to-canada-and-arrest-five-499871.html - broken link)

The point of this thread is that the problem of illegal immigration or drug smuggling doesn't have as much to do with CULTURE as it does with LOCATION.

Please discuss, and don't punk out by just talking about illegals are illegal, or anything simplistic like that.
Also, don't try to make this post into a justification of illegal immigration from Mexico, because it clearly isn't.

Do you think Mexican culture is really to blame for the situation? How much of it is culture, and how much of it is location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
Quote:
But even with one of the world's best health care system, even though the country is a safe one that is mostly middle class, there is still about 70,000 Canadian illegal immigrants living in the US.
Sure it pales in contrast to the number of illegal Mexicans, but that is still a very large number for a country as well off as Canada.
Yeah and I wonder what percentage of those 70,000 illegal Canadians living in the U.S are gangbangers.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
The point of this thread is that the problem of illegal immigration or drug smuggling doesn't have as much to do with CULTURE as it does with LOCATION.

Please discuss, and don't punk out by just talking about illegals are illegal, or anything simplistic like that.
Also, don't try to make this post into a justification of illegal immigration from Mexico, because it clearly isn't.

Do you think Mexican culture is really to blame for the situation? How much of it is culture, and how much of it is location?
I have nothing to add to macmeal’s eloquent posts (they are numerous) on the impact of “culture” on Mexican illegal aliens. Take a few minutes to peruse his posts, and I believe you will gain clarity.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Yeah and I wonder what percentage of those 70,000 illegal Canadians living in the U.S are gangbangers.
. . . and non-English speaking, abundantly breeding, arrogant, tax draining, social service draining, drunk driving, murdering, child molesting, raping leeches.

While I don't condone anyone being in this country illegally apparently said 70k Cannucks must assimilate to the degree that the average American can't tell that they are here illegally.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
. . . and non-English speaking, abundantly breeding, arrogant, tax draining, social service draining, drunk driving, murdering, child molesting, raping leeches.

While I don't condone anyone being in this country illegally apparently said 70k Cannucks must assimilate to the degree that the average American can't tell that they are here illegally.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...past-flew.html

Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
A "loaded question". First, I won't scold you and say "There's no such race as Canuck"...since you, like I often do, admitted you were joking.

"Forum fatigue" limits my answers these days (formerly, I could be rather 'long-winded'). I refer you to Benicar's kind recommendations...ALL of our past posts are available, should anyone be curious.

Meanwhile, in answer to your above question, "culture or location", I'd say you've covered that pretty well yourself. Since the "locations" of Canada and Mexico are equivalent (i.e., separated from the US only by a long land-border), the difference must lie elsewhere.

PART of that difference is an enormous gap in the two nations standard of living, personal freedom, tolerance for corruption in government, social safety-nets, distribution of wealth, and myriad other differences.

Are these differences "cultural"? I don't know...but, as you said, the "locations" (in regard to the US) are pretty similar....so the difference must not be THAT.....and whatever you call the difference, it's a significant one.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A "loaded question". First, I won't scold you and say "There's no such race as Canuck"...since you, like I often do, admitted you were joking.

"Forum fatigue" limits my answers these days (formerly, I could be rather 'long-winded'). I refer you to Benicar's kind recommendations...ALL of our past posts are available, should anyone be curious.

Meanwhile, in answer to your above question, "culture or location", I'd say you've covered that pretty well yourself. Since the "locations" of Canada and Mexico are equivalent (i.e., separated from the US only by a long land-border), the difference must lie elsewhere.

PART of that difference is an enormous gap in the two nations standard of living, personal freedom, tolerance for corruption in government, social safety-nets, distribution of wealth, and myriad other differences.

Are these differences "cultural"? I don't know...but, as you said, the "locations" (in regard to the US) are pretty similar....so the difference must not be THAT.....and whatever you call the difference, it's a significant one.
Bravo! Truer words were never spoken.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
As they say in real estate, location is everything. Obviously, if we shared a very long and very unprotected border with a less prosperous nation there would still be an illegal immigration problem. I think what galls people is Mexicos pimping out its citizens for remittance money. Not to confuse culture vs politics (although I do think it is more entwined then you would like to admit) but Mexico is damn near ecstatic when talking about their people illegally living and working in the US. Hell, they put up consulars all over our country in order to help hide their people that are here illegally. No other country does this. Mexico, be it the proximity or the shared history in the southwest, somehow believes that it has a right to exert undue influence on the US' immigration laws, and that its people are owed the rights and benefits of US citizenship without even being here legally. When a country has such a mindset, how does one deal with them? Without agreeing to all of their demands?
So, yeah...I think that there is a mindset within Mexico that their people are owed a piece of our pie, as it were. How to compromise with that?
I do get the impression that there are many illegals from Mexico who have no desire to give up their Mexican citizenship, that make it very clear that they are here to work, save some money and go home. In their case it is understandable why assimiliation and learning English is very low priority to them. I think it is past time that a guest worker program be revamped. If there is a need, let them apply and have a background check then - if accepted - let them live and cross the border in peace. Perhaps I am wrong, and those of you who are more 'in the know' with Mexican illegals specifically, let me know if you think that might be a good compromise. At least for that segment of illegal immigrants.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM

121 posts, read 225,792 times
I'd much rather have Canucks in my country than a bunch of filthy Allah Aktards.

How do you like them apples? I don't want the trash in my country!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Just kidding with the title, eh.
I don't think that Mexican culture is really to blame for the situation, it is more a combination of higher wages in the USA, which become even higher then the remittances are sent, and corruption.

IMHO the blame of this whole problem is due to the codependent relationship that has been stablished among illegal immigrants and their enablers, unfortunately most people just blame the illegal immigrants or assume that Mexican culture is one of corruption and crime, which is false and very unfair.

But honestly, if you are an illegal immigrant in any other country in the world, you are illegal, which means that you can't open a bank account, buy a house on credit, have a drivers license, etc. But you can do it in the USA.

No other country in the world offers welfare and handouts to it's illegal population.

No other country of the world have politicians pandering to illegal immigrants and promising them things that can't be fulfilled.

so IMHO this problem has nothing to do with Mexican culture or American culture either, it has to do with the culture of corruption, hippocrisy, double standards and greed.

And unfortunately this culture has created a huge misunderstanding of what Mexican culture really is, or what Mexico is really like, many people imagine that Mexico is a country run by elites who will anyone who disagrees with them, without any possibility of social mobility or opportunities, and a lot of things that are ver far from the real situation here.

This culture has also given us wars, millions of human suffering, the economic crisis we are currently facing and many other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration