U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM

25 posts, read 27,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I always say dont hate the player hate the game. It is the US Government that is taking a crap on this whole situation. why not cut all these free benefits crap, or do a background check before they hand out welfare, food stamps or pay for your baby's delivery. CA is the stupidest state in the nation for giving so many things at taxpayers expense, I thank god I had a chance to move out of that state.

There so many people who abuse the system and yet they do nothing.
Yup, in California our hands are tied because illegals fall under the auspices of the federal government, which won't pay for the illegals cramming our prisons nor reimburse us for the free hand-outs.

But noooooooo, if someone in California suggests cutting off the illegals, well, then, that person is a RACIST. Better to punish Californians by shutting down their state parks, cutting back on services for the elderly, etc. Honestly, it's difficult to go through a day without hearing Spanish from someone, and 24 out of 25 names in the newspaper crime columns are Mexican surnames.

Oh, and the school system in California is next-to-last in the nation! Teachers blame a lot of that on children who are illiterate in English AND their native languages. Two out of five high school students drop out in California. Grim statistics. Baby Boomers are the only generation more educated than its children.

It's time we take a look at our problems honestly and present a united front. This lifeboat is full, and will sink -- doing NO ONE any good -- if we don't start making some drastic changes... or adhere to the immigration laws already in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyY View Post
Yup, in California our hands are tied because illegals fall under the auspices of the federal government, which won't pay for the illegals cramming our prisons nor reimburse us for the free hand-outs.

But noooooooo, if someone in California suggests cutting off the illegals, well, then, that person is a RACIST. Better to punish Californians by shutting down their state parks, cutting back on services for the elderly, etc. Honestly, it's difficult to go through a day without hearing Spanish from someone, and 24 out of 25 names in the newspaper crime columns are Mexican surnames.

Oh, and the school system in California is next-to-last in the nation! Teachers blame a lot of that on children who are illiterate in English AND their native languages. Two out of five high school students drop out in California. Grim statistics. Baby Boomers are the only generation more educated than its children.

It's time we take a look at our problems honestly and present a united front. This lifeboat is full, and will sink -- doing NO ONE any good -- if we don't start making some drastic changes... or adhere to the immigration laws already in place.
Anymore: if a pro illegal calls me a racist for being against illegal immigration; I smile along with my American 'raza'-----------who can be of any race/ethnicity

Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Ideally, I do believe that all work should be going to anybody who is an American citizen OR who is legally permitted to work in the U.S. (including permanent residents, carriers of temporary work visas, etc.) So yes, I agree with you. The whole point of this thread was to offer a different solution to decreasing or minimizing the illegal immigration problem. We all agree that it's a problem and we know the problems subsequently caused by it. The problem is finding a viable solution.
We have a viable solution. We have immigration laws and policies that, if actually enforced, are designed to prevent illegal immigration.

The problem is that the laws are not enforced to any significant degree, and the freeloading hoards of peasants from Mexico are taking advantage of this. These are two drastic wrongs that are definitely not making a right.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:42 PM

709 posts, read 1,541,673 times
Quote:
A simple way to get rid of illegal immigrants...cut off ALL their lifelines. No deportations necessary.
Any politician running for president of the United States who promises to cut off all government aid to illegal immigrants, will lose between 70-80% of the Hispanic vote as well as a sizeable number of the White liberal vote who have the White guilt disease. The United States has become too politically correct to elect a president who's views on illegal immigration is the same as that of a Michael Savage or Tom Tancredo. America is becoming a lost cause.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
One simple fact is always lost in this argument about streamlining immigration procedures.

The beneficiary of immigration is supposed to be the United States and the American public, not the immigrant. Immigration is supposed to benefit the entire country. I do not have personal experience of our immigration processes but I have a couple of friends who have been through it and even they agree that all of the checks are necessary. We do not want people coming here with criminal records or communicable diseases. And since this is our country, we do not have to allow anyone to immigrate here. We do, but we are by no means required to do so.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
One simple fact is always lost in this argument about streamlining immigration procedures.

The beneficiary of immigration is supposed to be the United States and the American public, not the immigrant. Immigration is supposed to benefit the entire country. I do not have personal experience of our immigration processes but I have a couple of friends who have been through it and even they agree that all of the checks are necessary. We do not want people coming here with criminal records or communicable diseases. And since this is our country, we do not have to allow anyone to immigrate here. We do, but we are by no means required to do so.

If the immigrant does not benefit from the migration, what would be the driving force for them to come? I think the beneficiaries of immigration should be the United States AND the immigrant.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Those checks are good but 6-12 month processing times for every step of the process is unacceptable. If they were able to cut all processing times by 50% I guarantee we'd eliminate illegal immigration significantly.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Those checks are good but 6-12 month processing times for every step of the process is unacceptable. If they were able to cut all processing times by 50% I guarantee we'd eliminate illegal immigration significantly.
Why would we want to replace the Illegal Immigrants that are on the tax payer dole with Legal Immigrants on the tax payer dole? If we create lax policies that is exactly what would happen.

What we need is a guest worker program where we finger print and hold liable the Company they work for. If the worker skips out (now an Illegal) the Company forfeits a hefty bond.

A half a million Legal Immigrants is more than generous.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would we want to replace the Illegal Immigrants that are on the tax payer dole with Legal Immigrants on the tax payer dole? If we create lax policies that is exactly what would happen.

What we need is a guest worker program where we finger print and hold liable the Company they work for. If the worker skips out (now an Illegal) the Company forfeits a hefty bond.

A half a million Legal Immigrants is more than generous.
That'd be nice but you're bringing up issues that are currently handled between several different agencies that for the most part aren't on the same page. There would have to be an effective partnership between USCIS, the Department of Labor and the Social Security Administration. Historically these departments fumble around accountability and as a result little gets resolved.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
If the immigrant does not benefit from the migration, what would be the driving force for them to come? I think the beneficiaries of immigration should be the United States AND the immigrant.
Dreams of big easy money, the Almighty American Dollar, the welfare programs and easy life here.

Most illegals aren't especially smart, definitely are not very educated. They come because it's easy to do so, they envision streets lined with gold, American dollars and all the material things that go with them.

Ultimately -- does it benefit the children they leave behind that their parents are living 3000 miles away, maybe sending a monthly western union wire but not raising them? What becomes of those children? Some are lucky enough to be taken in and raised by grandparents or other relatives who care at least a little about them. Many are left with relatives who didn't really want them, many are left to their own devices, end up on the streets.

Before massive illegal immigration, Mexico didn't have the violence levels it has now. How much of that is due to the broken families, the abandoned children with parents chasing dollars in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or