U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
To the Illegals in the WIC line or ER I'm going to guess a lot.
I understand that ER is required to provide service for undocumented people but I don't fully understand the billing policy in that situation. I would assume they are still permitted to bill for the emergency service given? Of course the collection portion could be challenging but if they are as persistent with that type of billing as they are for everything else you'd think they'd still have a decent collection rate. Can anyone fill me in on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Most illegal aliens are poor, and not well educated. If they were legalized, they's still be on the bottom rungs of society, earning a minimum wage, which ensures they'd pay very little, if any, taxes. It would also ensure they'd be eligible for the earned income tax credit, which would negate any taxes they did pay.

As far as requiring people to own property, it's one way to make sure they have a reason to return to their countries. Too many people with nothing to return to have overstayed their visas, and disappeared into the population.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
No one is suggesting foreign language classes be removed from the schools, but studying a foreign language should be a person's choice. They shouldn't be forced to learn Spanish simply because the majority of non-English speakers are Hispanic. Perhaps they'd rather study French, or German. No one should be forced to attend a class taught half in English, and half in Spanish, or any other language they don't understand. This is a way to ensure a substandard education.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
No one is suggesting foreign language classes be removed from the schools, but studying a foreign language should be a person's choice. They shouldn't be forced to learn Spanish simply because the majority of non-English speakers are Hispanic. Perhaps they'd rather study French, or German. No one should be forced to attend a class taught half in English, and half in Spanish, or any other language they don't understand. This is a way to ensure a substandard education.
Obviously not but it is in someone's best interest to learn Spanish in places like Southern California or Southern Arizona when half the people are Spanish speaking. You're not going to be doing yourself a favor to learn German or French there.

I've repeated it several times on this forum and still seems people are failing to acknowledge that English is not the US's official language...there isn't one. So I would contend that in the same sense that native English speakers shouldn't be forced to learn Spanish, native Spanish speakers living in the US shouldn't be forced to learn English, even though it is also in their best interest to do so.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Obviously not but it is in someone's best interest to learn Spanish in places like Southern California or Southern Arizona when half the people are Spanish speaking. You're not going to be doing yourself a favor to learn German or French there.

I've repeated it several times on this forum and still seems people are failing to acknowledge that English is not the US's official language...there isn't one. So I would contend that in the same sense that native English speakers shouldn't be forced to learn Spanish, native Spanish speakers living in the US shouldn't be forced to learn English, even though it is also in their best interest to do so.
Needless to say: if the latter group choose to not learn English---------they will be discriminated against. Oh well.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Needless to say: if the latter group choose to not learn English---------they will be discriminated against. Oh well.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they should. It goes both ways too, members of the Hispanic community will respond much better to you if you speak Spanish. I get preferential treatment all the time, deals on contracted home improvement work, discounts on car mechanics, etc. for speaking Spanish with people. It has helped me make alot of connections I wouldn't have made had I not taken the time to learn and practice the language.

A few times I've been at a Mexican restaurant or taqueria and have gotten the dumbed down Gringo version of the food. After spewing some Spanish to the restaurant employees you better believe I get the spiciest **** they have within a minute...in Minneapolis if you're a white guy this is the ONLY way you're going to get the real Mexican food.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Yeah, but that doesn't mean they should. It goes both ways too, members of the Hispanic community will respond much better to you if you speak Spanish. I get preferential treatment all the time, deals on contracted home improvement work, discounts on car mechanics, etc. for speaking Spanish with people. It has helped me make alot of connections I wouldn't have made had I not taken the time to learn and practice the language.

A few times I've been at a Mexican restaurant or taqueria and have gotten the dumbed down Gringo version of the food. After spewing some Spanish to the restaurant employees you better believe I get the spiciest **** they have within a minute...in Minneapolis if you're a white guy this is the ONLY way you're going to get the real Mexican food.
If in Mexico; I agree----------not here in the USA.

Bottom line: assimilate or be kicked to the curb-----------it is that simple.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If in Mexico; I agree----------not here in the USA.

Bottom line: assimilate or be kicked to the curb-----------it is that simple.
Another fascination with people on this forum that I don't understand. Chill out with the assimilation rants. Just because you were raised a certain way doesn't mean everybody else has to be exactly like you. I find different cultures, languages, traditions interesting, they add to the variety of every day life. If everybody was assimilated and the same life would be boring, if I wanted that I'd go live in some random small town in podunk nowhere Minnesota and be bored for the rest of my life.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:37 PM

709 posts, read 1,541,673 times
Quote:
Another fascination with people on this forum that I don't understand. Chill out with the assimilation rants. Just because you were raised a certain way doesn't mean everybody else has to be exactly like you. I find different cultures, languages, traditions interesting, they add to the variety of every day life. If everybody was assimilated and the same life would be boring, if I wanted that I'd go live in some random small town in podunk nowhere Minnesota and be bored for the rest of my life.
Do you think most of the people in Mexico would find different, cultures, languages, and traditions interesting ? How do you think most people in Mexico would react if 40 million White Americans for example illegally flooded into Mexico to live there permanently. And how would Mexicans feel if these 40 million White Americans demanded that the Mexican government bend over backwards to accomodate ther English speaking needs and demand that the Mexican government give them free access to health care and welfare.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

85 posts, read 120,990 times
Quote:
And if I want to be in the Hispanic culture, I'll go visit Mexico.

Sorry, but when Mexicans, et al. come into this country, unless they are on visitors visas, they need to assimilate. They need to treat the U.S. with respect, abide by its laws, and follow the rules. We have enough problems on our own; we don't need to drag ourselves down any further by outside forces.

BTW, the official language in California IS English, yet our ballots are printed in 28 languages, at a waste of millions of our tax dollars. But then, what's the approximate $5 billion cost of illegals, a drop in the bucket??

I'm tired of the U.S. importing poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or