Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
You are also making quite a stretch to go from illegal immigration, to criminal treaspasing, and theft.

And under U.S. law, if there is a vacant land and you develop it, and for many years the rightful owner does not use it and you continue to work it, you have legal resources to take ownership of the land.

My question goes again. If this is the case, then why prosecutors are not going after the assets? Is it just because the are being P.C. or because they do not have a legal recourse?
The laws you refer to apply to squatters if I am not mistaken. Said squatters being legal citizens.
And no its not a stretch at all. My analogy is dead on because that is exactly what they do. They enter illegally hide from the law for a number of years and then demand an easy path to citizenship because they have been here so long already. Forget the income tax evasion, forget the ID theft, forget the fraud, you owe us citizenship and amnesty. No stretch at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
You are also making quite a stretch to go from illegal immigration, to criminal treaspasing, and theft.

And under U.S. law, if there is a vacant land and you develop it, and for many years the rightful owner does not use it and you continue to work it, you have legal resources to take ownership of the land.

My question goes again. If this is the case, then why prosecutors are not going after the assets? Is it just because the are being P.C. or because they do not have a legal recourse?
There is no statute of limitations for an illegal caught here in the USA: read that even if here 30 years-----------said illegal can still be deported.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 AM

380 posts, read 708,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
US citizen Felons tend to have their assets seized upon conviction-------why should illegal aliens receive leniency?
Usually only drug kingpins, and big time mafia guys get their assets siezed. The other 20,000,000 felons stuff is usually left alone.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Usually only drug kingpins, and big time mafia guys get their assets siezed. The other 20,000,000 felons stuff is usually left alone.
All the more reason to crack the whip against illegals------------hit them hard in the pocketbook.

As it is: their mere presence in most cases is a Felony unto itself. Read that they deserve to be treated more harshly than our homegrown scum.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,176,018 times
<<I want to document everybody and tax them heavily. >>

Just how do you propose we 'tax heavily' someone with a 7 or 8th grade education, who picks crops, cleans hotel rooms, or buses table in a restaurant? On the contrary, they not only pay no income tax if they have a family, they'll be entitled to the earned income crredit. Most of them will be elligible for Medicaid, they'll have free education for their children, WIC, food stamps, low cost housing, help with utilities, and one child born in this country entitles them to a welfare check. Making them legal isn't going to change their financial circumstances, or provide them with a better education so they can be completely self supporting.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<I want to document everybody and tax them heavily. >>

Just how do you propose we 'tax heavily' someone with a 7 or 8th grade education, who picks crops, cleans hotel rooms, or buses table in a restaurant? On the contrary, they not only pay no income tax if they have a family, they'll be entitled to the earned income crredit. Most of them will be elligible for Medicaid, they'll have free education for their children, WIC, food stamps, low cost housing, help with utilities, and one child born in this country entitles them to a welfare check. Making them legal isn't going to change their financial circumstances, or provide them with a better education so they can be completely self supporting.
As long as they aren't working an under the table job, they are all paying income taxes. Just because many don't file taxes doesn't mean that they aren't receiving deductions on their paychecks. Even if they claim a high number for exemptions of state and federal on the W4 form (some do, vast majority don't), they will still be paying in money to social security and medicaid which they'll obviously never see, that's free money for those programs. You may think these people don't earn alot of money since they were lower echelon low education jobs but many work 2-3 at a time and put in over 100 hours a week. I know some guys who work in a couple restaurants and with hourly earnings and tips make a decent amount more than I do and I have a middle class white collar office job. Also, just because these people are working in hotels, restaurants and fields doesn't mean they are uneducated. Alot of them have post-secondary education and in many cases college degrees and are doing this because a teaching job or office job in Mexico pays about $3 an hour with no benefits while they can do better than twice or three times that in the US and get all the hours they want. This is not at all uncommon.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
As long as they aren't working an under the table job, they are all paying income taxes. Just because many don't file taxes doesn't mean that they aren't receiving deductions on their paychecks. Even if they claim a high number for exemptions of state and federal on the W4 form (some do, vast majority don't), they will still be paying in money to social security and medicaid which they'll obviously never see, that's free money for those programs. You may think these people don't earn alot of money since they were lower echelon low education jobs but many work 2-3 at a time and put in over 100 hours a week. I know some guys who work in a couple restaurants and with hourly earnings and tips make a decent amount more than I do and I have a middle class white collar office job. Also, just because these people are working in hotels, restaurants and fields doesn't mean they are uneducated. Alot of them have post-secondary education and in many cases college degrees and are doing this because a teaching job or office job in Mexico pays about $3 an hour with no benefits while they can do better than twice or three times that in the US and get all the hours they want. This is not at all uncommon.
Still fraud going on which is a Federal offence.

Needless to say: said illegals need to be deported regardless and have their assets seized under RICO laws.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post

You just think that is how it works....

You have to have a SS# to work in the USA, right?
For them to have a SS# how did they get it?
For them to cash a check, they need an ID card, right
For them to have an ID card, how did they get it?
To get around this, they are paid as subcontract labor.
The IRS finds out, when the 1099's forms are sent in with the employers tax filing. Nothing is done, as it is impossible to go after an independent company for someone representing another company.
Those that do work in the fast food industry, work short stints, or in some cases, until they are found to be using a stolen SS#, which could take years to reveal, but the computer age is gaining on the red flags flying sooner and sooner.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You just think that is how it works....

You have to have a SS# to work in the USA, right?
For them to have a SS# how did they get it?
For them to cash a check, they need an ID card, right
For them to have an ID card, how did they get it?
To get around this, they are paid as subcontract labor.
The IRS finds out, when the 1099's forms are sent in with the employers tax filing. Nothing is done, as it is impossible to go after an independent company for someone representing another company.
Those that do work in the fast food industry, work short stints, or in some cases, until they are found to be using a stolen SS#, which could take years to reveal, but the computer age is gaining on the red flags flying sooner and sooner.
Yeah, construction jobs and maybe field jobs get paid as subcontract labor but a huge number are working at places like restaurants and hotels which require them to fill out an I9 form and most use an SSN checker to make sure the number is legit. They will buy somebody else's identity, usually in the form of a permanent residency card and sometimes a Social Security card and get hired in the system that way. All employees who do this will receive federal and state tax deductions as well as medicare and social security like I stated in my last post. I'm not saying this is right, but essentially this is all free tax money for the government that wouldn't be there otherwise. Undocumented workers help large corporations by lowering the cost of labor while the government takes less of a hit in these taxes than most people think. Why do you think Bush was trying to get all these people amnesty and on temporary work visas? That is partially why, he was also trying to get the Hispanic vote for GOP. That's my take on it anyway.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Still fraud going on which is a Federal offence.

Needless to say: said illegals need to be deported regardless and have their assets seized under RICO laws.
You've posted essentially the same thing a bunch of times. If you really think spending all the resources on deporting somebody who is going to turn around and come back in next week than that's fine, I think it's a huge waste. The seized assets portion is questionable in low profile cases. Once again, too much resources required with lawyers and courts, wouldn't be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration