Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:01 AM

178 posts, read 416,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Really? Here in Southern California, adult schools which offer English as a second language, along with high school equivalency, are plentiful and free. Many high schools offer night time English classes for no charge as well.

It isn't a case of people not being able to find the help. It's a case of people not wanting to find the help.

It never ceases to amaze me how millions of LEGAL immigrants find the resources they need to learn English and American history in order to become new citizens of this country. Do you think American citizenship just might actually mean something to those who come here LEGALLY other than a free ride at the expense of the American taxpayer?
Here is the latest bumper sticker for illegal aliens........
Ask not what we can do for America, but ask what can America do for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,668,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
newly immigrants want to learn english but they can't find the way,they need help.
My neighbor offers, free ESl classes, she advertises in the newspaper in spanish and sends fliers out to all the construction sites. Her classes are still empty except for a few Russians.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
I lived in both Germany and Japan during my time in the air force. I spent 1 year living with a german family before this, I learned german by listening to dailyconversation and television, I also learned enough conversational japanese however limited to eat in restaurants and buy goods in stores, take public transit. There is absolutely no excuse why the thousands of hispanic and russian immigrants in Portland give the No English routine everytime they are asked something, even at work. How anyone could live in the state and some have been here for years, and want to give the NO ENGLISH SONG AND DANCE. I would have no problem with them here if they showed some interest in becoming part of the country legally and learning english, and just plain show some interest in being friendly, instead of us having to take the blame for being racist and coldhearted enough is enough. If any of the immigrants wanted to learn english, they could adopt the ways I learned languages, and they have plenty of english as 2nd languange classes in every city in the USA, most don't want to be bothered.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 AM

606 posts, read 698,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My neighbor offers, free ESl classes, she advertises in the newspaper in spanish and sends fliers out to all the construction sites. Her classes are still empty except for a few Russians.
maybe she just fails to advertise successfully,and,she can advertise in english I guess.Most people can read simple english.
It's nice of your neighbor to do so.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
There are also free English classes available in Florida, both private and public. Failure to learn English is no excuse. Resources are readily available.
maybe they don't know there are free classes available?
I'm just curious..if they don't want to learn english,why not?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default why

Quote:
BEcause governments and states continue to kiss their but because they provide cheap labor. Every time we create a test or document in spanish we give them another reason not to learn english.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
And alot of them have no intentions of remaining here, so why learn.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
maybe she just fails to advertise successfully,and,she can advertise in english I guess.Most people can read simple english.
It's nice of your neighbor to do so.
She advertises in English and spanish, posts them at jobsites, clinics and shops that are more spanish. They know, they just chose not too.

Me I know German from listening to my grandmother and some Gaelic from my other grandparents, and I wasnt around either all the time. It can be done, maybe not fluently but enough to get by.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
And alot of them have no intentions of remaining here, so why learn.
Don't they want to immigrate and live in U.S?

Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Don't they want to immigrate and live in U.S?
No! The ones that don't want to learn English just want to work here and utilize the benefits. It's purely economic. Their loyalty lies with their home countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration