U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times

Advertisements

Alot of people talk about how hard it is to legally emigrate to the US. I'm of the opinion that the US is not unique in having strict standards on who is legally allowed in or not. We do not have the resources or infrastructure to accommodate everyone who wants to better their lives. So why do some feel that the US should lighten our restrictions on immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 12:45 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
People don't want immigration restrictions lightened for other folks, just for themselves. Illegal immigrants don't give a rat's patooty about those who are attempting to emigrate legally to this country. They only want restrictions lifted for them, the heck with the legal immigrant who has waited five years to become a legal resident.

Illegals want their slice of the American pie and they want it yesterday!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default It is just a lie

I know someone who came here legally and it wasnt that bad. It cost a few hundred in application fees and took about a year and half to get all the processing done. Also this person was fully screened and tested for any type of disease, a criminal background check was conducted and everything was put into the current system.

This is supposed to be like this and is what make legal immigration secure and safe. Now tell me why 12 million illegals cant do this?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 PM

500 posts, read 2,671,868 times
I did it LEGAL and it was easy, but my wife is an American so that makes it even sweeter.

I've heard that America has strict rules regarding legal immigration. I don't know exactly how tight, but I do know that my wife's company would like to sponsor more French and Indian (from India) workers and they can't because they've got a limited number of work visas available. This might prove that working here legally is not always too easy, even when we do need these computer guys.

Then there's the example -we've seen some here in the forum- of guys and girls who love America and would like to come here. But they can't. Because you can't just come to Ellis Island like in the old times and say "I want to live in America". You need to be sponsored, and for that you have to have a job offer, or family or friends. Or win the green card lotery or go to the embassy and get in the waiting list for years.

This might prove too that emigrating to America legally is not really that easy, despite the many immigrants -legal and ilegal- we have here.

I know that I myself would probably not have had the chance to become an American if I wouldn't have met and fell in love with my wife. Because it really is not as easy as just saying "I'm going to move to America".

Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 PM

Default (cont.)

Then, on why illegals don't go legal. Well, as much as I despise them (it cost me time and money to get my papers, so why should the illegals come here and not do it right?), I understand that our situations are different.

I chose to be an American because I love this country. They didn't choose. They'd rather stay in Mexico or whatever country, but they were starving and needed to get a good-paying job, so they came here. They couldn't get a green card, because it really is not so easy to get one- so they crossed from Mexico walking through the desert.

I'm sure they would have done it legal if they could, better than risking their lives and money to the desert and the smugglers. But they needed a better life and they didn't think twice about coming to America, legally or not.

So yes, they are criminals and they should stay home. But there is a reason why I flew Continental Airlines from Europe and legally got my green card while they paid 3,000 bucks for a coyote to illegaly dump them over Rio Grande.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,874,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Alot of people talk about how hard it is to legally emigrate to the US. I'm of the opinion that the US is not unique in having strict standards on who is legally allowed in or not. We do not have the resources or infrastructure to accommodate everyone who wants to better their lives. So why do some feel that the US should lighten our restrictions on immigration?
They want a free ride, they don't want to play by the rules, they do not have integrity.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 PM

I guess that when you need to feed your family, have no money and need a job, you "lose" your "integrity" and go for a "free ride" paying a smuggler, crossing the desert and risking your life to achieve a better life for you and your family.

If desperately wanting to provide for your children is not having "integrity", then I have to respect some of these illegals' intentions.

What would we do if we were in the same situation and couldn't get a legal green card?

Would we just starve and die? Or would we try to cross the border?

Old 04-07-2007, 06:39 PM

606 posts, read 504,019 times
how about this...restrict illegal immigration more and lighten legal immigration.
it's really hard to immigrate legally nowadays. You have to find a employer to sponsor you and the work visas are very limited.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default um

well how did we get all of our legal immigrants here?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,018,519 times
Manhattan-ite,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
So you would:
...break Federal statutes of another country just because it wasn't your original country to provide for your family?
...break any and all laws to provide for your family?
...clobber another human being over the head to steal something for your family?
...rob a bank to provide for your family?
...murder another human being to provide for your family?

Have you already done these things "for your family?" Why not? You could be a far richer provider as a total career-criminal with no thought to any other human being outside your family!! Where is it supposed to stop, once you've started rationalizing U.S. laws away to suit your own selfish needs, even if you've stated it's for your family? If you're inventing "compassion" as an excuse, when does it start for anyone outside of your family? This is 2007, not the Dark Ages where you plunder anyone around you as your only recourse.
This is not about Jewish people fleeing Nazis who want to kill them, this is about people making a personal choice to go break serious Federal statutes of another country solely for personal gain, and to keep breaking laws and breaking laws and breaking laws and breaking laws and breaking laws until they are caught, because they have zero respect for the laws of the country they illegally entered.

If they really wanted to do something for their family as well as their own country, they would spend the $3,000.00 they give to the coyote illegal hauler instead as an investment in their own family where it counts, at home, for their mutual betterment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or