Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times

Advertisements

I would like to see where you found they pay billions in to taxes. That is a false statement. Unless you mean sales taxes. If that was the case, why doesn't every tourist that comes to America get freebies while they are here? I mean they pay sales tax as well.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I don't think that they plan to be parents at a young age. We should have better sex education in schools, better access to contraceptives, and more on site baby sitting in schools.

They are here Illegally which means in the preponderance of cases they were already a family. My point being this should be happening in the home Countries schools not ours. The mothers racing across the desert to have a kid here were in Mexican schools not ours.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Accumulated wealth meaning the gains that were made in the 1800s lead to more wealth later on.

Here's an example. My great great grandfather steals $100 from your great great grandfather (half your GGGF's wealth) . My GGGF takes that the money to buy a piece of wood and an ax. Your's is now in need of money to survive. Mine creates furniture and sells it your GGGF. He and many other people buy the furniture. My GGGF makes more than $100, he makes $150. Okay his son takes the extra $50 to expand his enterprise into farming. Meanwhile, your family is doing a little better. My GGF asks your GGF to work on a farm. Sounds okay. You're being underpaid. He makes $300 off of your labor...you make $3. This snowballs with each generation. Your family never fully recoups the $100 because it grows and your family is now dependent on working for my family to survive.

This is pretty much the US and Mexico. Both had fairly equal wealth levels, then we took roughly half their land and wealth...in which in order to survive worked for us in our factories and farms.

So in 1950 we didn't "steal" from them, only had cheap labor based on the original accumulation of wealth.
So we stole wealth from Guatemala and the other Countries throwing their peasants at us too? I'm still trying to get my arms around this.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM

103 posts, read 140,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I would like to see where you found they pay billions in to taxes. That is a false statement. Unless you mean sales taxes. If that was the case, why doesn't every tourist that comes to America get freebies while they are here? I mean they pay sales tax as well.
Americans believe that undocumented immigrants are exploiting the United States' economy. The widespread belief is that illegal aliens cost more in government services than they contribute to the economy. This belief is undeniably false. [E]very empirical study of illegals' economic impact demonstrates the opposite . . .: undocumenteds actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they cost in social services. Moreover, undocumented immigrants contribute to the U.S. economy through their investments and consumption of goods and services; filling of millions of essential worker positions resulting in subsidiary job creation, increased productivity and lower costs of goods and services; and unrequited contributions to Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance programs. Eighty-five percent of eminent economists surveyed have concluded that undocumented immigrants have had a positive (seventy-four percent) or neutral (eleven percent) impact on the U.S. economy.

SSRN-Taxing Undocumented Immigrants: Separate, Unequal and Without Representation by Francine Lipman

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0rdfish View Post
Americans believe that undocumented immigrants are exploiting the United States' economy. The widespread belief is that illegal aliens cost more in government services than they contribute to the economy. This belief is undeniably false. [E]very empirical study of illegals' economic impact demonstrates the opposite . . .: undocumenteds actually contribute more to public coffers in taxes than they cost in social services. Moreover, undocumented immigrants contribute to the U.S. economy through their investments and consumption of goods and services; filling of millions of essential worker positions resulting in subsidiary job creation, increased productivity and lower costs of goods and services; and unrequited contributions to Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance programs. Eighty-five percent of eminent economists surveyed have concluded that undocumented immigrants have had a positive (seventy-four percent) or neutral (eleven percent) impact on the U.S. economy.

SSRN-Taxing Undocumented Immigrants: Separate, Unequal and Without Representation by Francine Lipman
Looking at our growing unemployment rate---------I do not believe that article.

Remember that many, if not most illegal aliens live under conditions that would not pass zoning ordinances here in the USA (2+ families in small apartments, etc). Such laws were passed many years ago to curtail abuses against legal immigrants ca. 100 years ago.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side:

Mexico was under French control in 1867 so what happened prior was moot.

Too; Guatemala broke free from Mexico yet the latter nation does not seem that angry about it.

Moreover; Mexico 'stole' land from Spain in 1821 yet where is the outrage?

For that matter; there sure seems to be little rage against the Spanish Hispanics for subjugating the Aztecs, etc.

Final point: the racism here in the in the USA against Indians/Mestizos essentially saved the rest of Mexico from being taken by the USA in 1848.
Mexico was never under direct French control. Under the Hapsburg, but still Spanish. Any actual intervention was for about 5 years ENDING in 1867. So the French is really a blip in the history of Mexico. Hence why Cinco de Mayo is fast becoming an American holiday.

Guatemala is not 55% of the land of Mexico.

Mexico was a Viceroyalty, so it was very soveirgn. The governor essentially grew more powerful and independent from Spain. Just like in the same line of the US. Both Spain and Mexico were fine afterwards.

The issue between "Natives and Immigrants" is not debated since it's not the same topic. That would be the Mexico forum.

Final point: You're stating the mass genocide of an entire population prevented the US from doing what is already did? So if it were not for a completely off topic event that has nothing to do with Mexico it would be saved from something that the US already was in striking distance of doing since it was in Mexico City and forced a treaty otherwise saying it will continue doing what it's doing? I don't follow.

The US treatment of Indians has nothing to do with it's treatment of Mexico during the Mexican-American War.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 77,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
2) Set up a hotline people can call to report criminal aliens or those hiring them. If information leads to convictions of employers or to deporations of criminal aliens, a reward can be provided. The money can be raised from the fines.
There are several such hotlines, actually. 1-866-DHS-2-ICE is maintained by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement. 1-800-BE-ALERT is a joint venture between ICE and US Customs. The primary ICE web site also has phone numbers posted for Dentention and Removal Field Offices and Office of Investigations.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
"Illegal Crime Wave Thread" "One Woman's Story of Multiculturalism" "Shut the border due to Swine Flu"

I'd say its debatable.

The majority have their wives and children here in the US. A large percent are mixed families (one generation of legal and one generation of illegals).

You're right, most Mexicans did work in Mexico. However, many left to the environmental catastrophe on the border, the lack of proper education, the poor working conditions in border factories (most of them are American owned). They wanted to escape third world exploitation. Some came legally...some did not. With that said, maybe we should address the reasons why they came here
No, their home country needs to address this issue.

Quote:
...and what should we do now they are here.
We need to send them back.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times
Quote:
What should be done with the billions they pay into taxes?
Use it to pay the billions in services they use.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utennvolsfan View Post
There are several such hotlines, actually. 1-866-DHS-2-ICE is maintained by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement. 1-800-BE-ALERT is a joint venture between ICE and US Customs. The primary ICE web site also has phone numbers posted for Dentention and Removal Field Offices and Office of Investigations.
No kidding? I didn't know that.

Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration