Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Apparently if you believe pro-illegals, no. Our economy would be worse off.
It's not like magically 13 million jobs will open up. Nor is it like the sales tax revenue will be the same. Nor is it like Americans will be lining up to pick up these jobs (if they were, why aren't they employed in those industries in the first place. Also trust me, I've applied for these undesirable in college...HR staff was happy I was American, hell said they wished more applied...yet they don't.). Also remember training costs, administrative costs of new workers, intially decreased production (getting used to a new job, any job). So no, it actually is a huge strain on an economy. Some businesses would not survive the strain of a massive firing and hiring frenzy.

Maybe in the long run it might work out, but initially it will be a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It's not like magically 13 million jobs will open up. Nor is it like the sales tax revenue will be the same. Nor is it like Americans will be lining up to pick up these jobs (if they were, why aren't they employed in those industries in the first place. Also trust me, I've applied for these undesirable in college...HR staff was happy I was American, hell said they wished more applied...yet they don't.). Also remember training costs, administrative costs of new workers, intially decreased production (getting used to a new job, any job). So no, it actually is a huge strain on an economy. Some businesses would not survive the strain of a massive firing and hiring frenzy.

Maybe in the long run it might work out, but initially it will be a disaster.
Frankly: it would be fitting Karma for SF and the rest of California if its supply of de facto 'slave' labor (illegal aliens) were to disappear------------maybe that is what it would take to force housing prices low enough so Americans can actually live there again.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Frankly: it would be fitting Karma for SF and the rest of California if its supply of de facto 'slave' labor (illegal aliens) were to disappear------------maybe that is what it would take to force housing prices low enough so Americans can actually live there again.
Seeing how Americans were the cause of high housing prices, I think there is a flaw in the logic. Also, other industries would not be affected (those industries that, again, caused the high housing prices...like tech, biotech, education).

I don't think that you have stats showing how much illegal immigrants make ("defacto slave labor").

If it is "slave labor" then demand would exceed supply (lack of $ to buy a house), and the prices would have already been down. Other things at work here.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Seeing how Americans were the cause of high housing prices, .

ILLEGAL ALIENS & THE MORTGAGE MESS - New York Post

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I don't think San Francisco proper would get THAT much cheaper considering it is a desirable place to live, and most people in SF don't live in large single family residences that require illegal labor to be sustainable.

OTOH, much of Contra Costa County would become a great deal cheaper, as the McMansion way of life would be unsustainable. The American upper middle class would have to give up big homes with servants just as the UK upper middle class (referred to as "middle class" over there - "middle class" in the US is equivalent to "upper working class" or "lower middle class" in Britain)
did after WW2. You'd see the same thing happening in the farther suburbs (aside from those which are already ghettoized like Fairfield, or Lancaster in Southern California) that one saw in inner city areas in Detroit, the east side of Cleveland, or South Central L.A. in the 1950s and 1960s.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Seeing how Americans were the cause of high housing prices, I think there is a flaw in the logic. Also, other industries would not be affected (those industries that, again, caused the high housing prices...like tech, biotech, education).

I don't think that you have stats showing how much illegal immigrants make ("defacto slave labor").

If it is "slave labor" then demand would exceed supply (lack of $ to buy a house), and the prices would have already been down. Other things at work here.
Your assumption is based on the idea that the builder passes on the cost savings to the consumer. I highly doubt that this is the case. I believe that they pocket the savings and laugh all the way to the bank.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One giant flaw I read and I stopped reading. The author essentially equates "Hispanics" with "illegals." Also living in forclousure alley (the 215 of SoCal) I can tell you that the majority of residents are White Americans in the new suburban centers.

92555 (Rancho Belago) ~55% White non-Hispanic (my "hood")
92883 (Corona) ~65% White non-Hispanic
92532 (Lake Elsinore) ~65% White non-Hispanic
Temecula and Murietta are both ~60% White non-Hispanic

These are the hardest hit places in CA. All upper middle class in character. All very pleasant suburban Americana. All majority non-Hispanic White. Many of my neighbors who lost their homes were White non-Hispanic.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
But they're only doing the jobs that 13 million+ unemployed Americans WILL NOT do.
I know your being sarcastic, but every job has its price. For a decent wage Americans would do the work, but the rich business owners who are already rolling in massive bonuses every year for themselves would prefer to keep things as they are. Paying a illegal alien slave wages and pocketing the rest for themselves is a great system [if you are a rich big business owner]. Medical fees, housing and other perks just let the tax payer pay for those. Thats how it is now.

And the funny part is the hypocrisy present in Government. Meg Whitman [Billionaire] had a illegal alien maid for 8+ years yet when she ran for office she ran as a anti-illegal immigration advocate. Shows how much our leaders really care [not one bit] !

Old 11-12-2010, 02:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
I know your being sarcastic, but every job has its price. For a decent wage Americans would do the work, but the rich business owners who are already rolling in massive bonuses every year for themselves would prefer to keep things as they are. Paying a illegal alien slave wages and pocketing the rest for themselves is a great system [if you are a rich big business owner]. Medical fees, housing and other perks just let the tax payer pay for those. Thats how it is now.

And the funny part is the hypocrisy present in Government. Meg Whitman [Billionaire] had a illegal alien maid for 8+ years yet when she ran for office she ran as a anti-illegal immigration advocate. Shows how much our leaders really care [not one bit] !
Meg Whitman hired her maid through an agency so it was up to the agency to make sure she was legal to work in this country, not Whitman. She paid her $23.00 an hour so I doubt that she knew the maid was illegal and was trying to save money since that kind of pay any American would work for. Whitman fired this maid after she found out she was illegal. It has never been proven that Whitman's story was a farce.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
But they're only doing the jobs that 13 million+ unemployed Americans WILL NOT do.
Boy this mantra is really getting old. You'd think by now the illegal crowd would come up with something new.

Lets try something, all of the illegal aliens go back home and see if it's true.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration