U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
How do you figure?

I know someone whose Social Security number was being used by a LARGE number of illegal aliens. Sixty three of them in fact.

Before she finally figured out what was going on, the IRS was hounding her for back taxes on several of the incomes and was threatening a lien on her bank account until the rocket scientists figured out that it would have been impossible for her to be hundreds of miles apart, working different jobs at the same time.

She's been continually harassed by credit card companies for cards opened with her number which have gone into default.

The government refused to pursue the culprits--but they finally did something about it.

They let the 63 illegal aliens keep her Social Security number, gratis and with no repercussions and issued her a new one, something that generally only happens when a person goes into Witness Protection and has to be relocated for their own safety.

Gee....what's the harm in all of that?
It may not have been, only less fortunate illegals involved, since credit card companies usually need more to go on. Why blame only less fortunate illegals for the illegalities of those who already know how to scam the system and blame someone else?

In any event, those illegals should have received a taxpayer id so they can pay taxes to their own accounts and not bother loyal citizens of our republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,849,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Ummm. Illegals don't get SS benefits. However they pay into that system.
We all know that.

Current law allows an immigrant to receive credit for future Social Security benefits for work done while they were illegal – so long as they eventually obtain authorization to work and a valid Social Security number. The amendment was offered by Sen. John Ensign of Nevada and would have prohibited any credit for work done without permission, even if an immigrant later gains legal status or becomes a citizen.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 732 times
The main reason we have so many illegals here is....we hire them for maids, nannies, housekeepers, landscaping, painting, roofing, etc. I could go on and on. We are all Meg Whitman!!! We don't really know their illegal...Yea Right!!!!! I would say that security is very selective in the US. We know how to keep the terrorists out but we don't bother to run background checks on our hired help??? Hmmmmm And now we're voting for people who actually admitted that they're a Witch...LOL And the beat goes on...La De Da De Dee, La De Da De Duh!!!!!! TRUST???????

Old 10-06-2010, 02:06 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
It may not negatively impact the person who's id was used, because it was for legitimate work purposes and not for more traditional forms of crime.

In any case, a market friendly work visa could make this a moot point because it would solve our illegal problem on a permanent basis.
I, personally, don't want anyone using my social security number, even if it is for work. I feel that that is cheating and would rather it not be attached to my number and name. Also, there are many things that could come as the result of someone using your social security number for work. I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM

532 posts, read 875,884 times
"Tapping into"? The illegal immigrant/undocumented resident community was estimated to provide "the system with a subsidy of as much as $7 billion a year" five years ago. The use of fraudulent Social Security numbers is a necessary requisite for them to submit employment eligibility verification (I-9) forms and gain access to the formal labor market, but the benefits generally either accrue in the accounts of the legitimate owners or are preserved as unused revenue in government coffers, if the numbers belong to no one.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The number of illegals contributing to Social Security is a dribble compared to the number of contributing citizens and legal green card holders.

Besides, if they are--they are doing so with someone else's stolen Social Security number.
Or a number that is totally fabricdated...and not "stolen".

I think this is Grandstanding because most if not close to all undocumented aliens dont claim Social Security benefits...so this petition and bill are overkill.

Quote:

The federal government gets billions of dollars every year that it can't track to anyone. At the end of the tax year when most Americans are filing taxes and seeking returns, illegal immigrants are letting that money go. It's the price of working in a country illegally.
http://cbs4denver.com/goodquestion/Illegal.immigration.baca.2.560582.html (broken link)

Old 10-06-2010, 02:24 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkiefaye View Post
The main reason we have so many illegals here is....we hire them for maids, nannies, housekeepers, landscaping, painting, roofing, etc. I could go on and on. We are all Meg Whitman!!! We don't really know their illegal...Yea Right!!!!! I would say that security is very selective in the US. We know how to keep the terrorists out but we don't bother to run background checks on our hired help??? Hmmmmm And now we're voting for people who actually admitted that they're a Witch...LOL And the beat goes on...La De Da De Dee, La De Da De Duh!!!!!! TRUST???????
Who is "WE"? Most Americans don't hire them. Apparently we don't know how to keep the terrorists out aka 9/11.

No, the person you are talking about running for congress said she was into that stuff when she was young. She just ran an ad on tv saying that she is NOT a witch. I would vote for her over Pelosi, Reid and the other proven anti-American traitors.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
"Tapping into"? The illegal immigrant/undocumented resident community was estimated to provide "the system with a subsidy of as much as $7 billion a year" five years ago. The use of fraudulent Social Security numbers is a necessary requisite for them to submit employment eligibility verification (I-9) forms and gain access to the formal labor market, but the benefits generally either accrue in the accounts of the legitimate owners or are preserved as unused revenue in government coffers, if the numbers belong to no one.
Their costs well outweigh any so-called profits for regular Americans. Either way, immoral or illegal acts are not acceptable for profit for anyone.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

532 posts, read 875,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Their costs well outweigh any so-called profits for regular Americans.
That's almost certainly false. The likes of economists dispute whether there is a net gain or loss: Illegal Immigrant Costs, Benefits Disputed | NBC Los Angeles

That means that it is extremely unlikely that the so-called costs "well outweigh any so-called profits," even if there is a net loss imposed. But even if there was a net loss imposed, it would be the consequence of artificial constraints on labor market mobility, transition from the secondary (informal) labor market to the primary (formal) labor market established by assigning unlawful status to so many people. The solution would therefore be amnesty and decriminalization of border crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Either way, immoral or illegal acts are not acceptable for profit for anyone.
I don't see a confluence of immorality and illegality, given the one-time legality of slavery and illegality of slave liberation. So legal fetishism is irrelevant to me. As for immorality, instead of this question begging fallacy, you'll have to demonstrate through logical ethical analysis that there is actually some form of immorality involved.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
That's almost certainly false. The likes of economists dispute whether there is a net gain or loss: Illegal Immigrant Costs, Benefits Disputed | NBC Los Angeles

That means that it is extremely unlikely that the so-called costs "well outweigh any so-called profits," even if there is a net loss imposed. But even if there was a net loss imposed, it would be the consequence of artificial constraints on labor market mobility, transition from the secondary (informal) labor market to the primary (formal) labor market established by assigning unlawful status to so many people. The solution would therefore be amnesty and decriminalization of border crossing.

I don't see a confluence of immorality and illegality, given the one-time legality of slavery and illegality of slave liberation. So legal fetishism is irrelevant to me. As for immorality, instead of this question begging fallacy, you'll have to demonstrate through logical ethical analysis that there is actually some form of immorality involved.
Many stats to the contrary have been posted in here before. I am not going to dig them all up for you again.

Slavery was wrong but having immigration laws is not. Last I checked most people agree that lying, cheating and stealing are immoral including the teachings of the bible. Do you disagree with that?

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-06-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration