U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM

17,022 posts, read 9,069,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Who is "WE"? Most Americans don't hire them. Apparently we don't know how to keep the terrorists out aka 9/11.

No, the person you are talking about running for congress said she was into that stuff when she was young. She just ran an ad on tv saying that she is NOT a witch. I would vote for her over Pelosi, Reid and the other proven anti-American traitors.

Yep, key word proven.

Didn't ole Meg hire her illegal employee through an agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 PM

532 posts, read 876,148 times
Quote:
Many stats to the contrary have been posted in here before. I am not going to dig them all up for you again.
Then you have presented no evidence, or any reasons why there would be a dispute among economists if there was overwhelming evidence for one position.

Quote:
Slavery was wrong but having immigration laws is not.
This is an assertion, not an argument.

Quote:
Last I checked most people agree that lying, cheating and stealing are immoral including the teachings of the bible.
The reference to "most people" is an argumentum ad populum logical fallacy; "most people" once favored prohibitions of fornication, enforcement of Jim Crow laws, etc. The Bible is a source of morality? Does that include Deuteronomy 20:10-18?

Quote:
10 “When you go near a city to fight against it, then proclaim an offer of peace to it. 11 And it shall be that if they accept your offer of peace, and open to you, then all the people who are found in it shall be placed under tribute to you, and serve you. 12 Now if the city will not make peace with you, but war against you, then you shall besiege it. 13 And when the LORD your God delivers it into your hands, you shall strike every male in it with the edge of the sword. 14 But the women, the little ones, the livestock, and all that is in the city, all its spoil, you shall plunder for yourself; and you shall eat the enemies’ plunder which the LORD your God gives you. 15 Thus you shall do to all the cities which are very far from you, which are not of the cities of these nations.

16 “But of the cities of these peoples which the LORD your God gives you as an inheritance, you shall let nothing that breathes remain alive, 17 but you shall utterly destroy them: the Hittite and the Amorite and the Canaanite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite, just as the LORD your God has commanded you, 18 lest they teach you to do according to all their abominations which they have done for their gods, and you sin against the LORD your God.
That's not my kind of morality. Good thing ethics exists, don't you think?

Quote:
Do you disagree with that?
Possibly. Actions are wrong depending on their intentions and consequences, in my view. So I would declare deliberate theft from a working-class person's savings to finance frivolous purchases so that they are harmed more than the thief is benefited to be wrong. Use of a fraudulent Social Security number when there are no other mechanisms to work in the formal labor market, without any intent to harm the owners of those numbers and without any adverse consequence, is another matter altogether.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,098,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I, personally, don't want anyone using my social security number, even if it is for work. I feel that that is cheating and would rather it not be attached to my number and name. Also, there are many things that could come as the result of someone using your social security number for work. I know a lot of other people feel the same way.
A market friendly work visa would make that issue a moot point since foreign labor would be issued their own taxpayer id. We could be solving some forms of crime, simply by being more market friendly.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
A market friendly work visa would make that issue a moot point since foreign labor would be issued their own taxpayer id. We could be solving some forms of crime, simply by being more market friendly.
Market friendly? Is that the new spin phrase for "let em all in"?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:21 AM

I guess the approach to handling posts that you can't refute is to just ignore 'em!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I guess the approach to handling posts that you can't refute is to just ignore 'em!
Disagreeing with them is not ignoring them. I have made my case on this issue many times over in here. There is no justification for illegal immigration no matter how many excuses are made for it in here. We already have several visas for legal immigration. Some think the solution is to have even more regardless that Americans are out of jobs. Market friendly, indeed!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Disagreeing with them is not ignoring them. I have made my case on this issue many times over in here. There is no justification for illegal immigration no matter how many excuses are made for it in here. We already have several visas for legal immigration. Some think the solution is to have even more regardless that Americans are out of jobs. Market friendly, indeed!
U.S. labor markets are characterized by inordinately high demand for low-skilled labor, so the presence of more manual workers will not have negative employment consequences. Accordingly, this conclusion is supported by econometric research, such as the likes of Undocumented Immigration and Unemployment of U.S. Youth and Minority Workers: Econometric Evidence:

Quote:
We use Census-based data on the state distribution of the undocumented-alien population in analyzing the relationship between that population and unemployment among youth and minority workers. Regression results from our two-equation models do not support commonly-expressed fears that undocumented immigration has caused any substantial increases in joblessness among these presumably vulnerable groups, although small amounts of displacement are indicated. A sizeable reverse effect is evident: undocumented immigrants tend to concentrate in states where labor markets for these marginal groups are most favorable.
You should actually be focusing on the perpetual existence of equilibrium unemployment in the capitalist economy.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
U.S. labor markets are characterized by inordinately high demand for low-skilled labor, so the presence of more manual workers will not have negative employment consequences. Accordingly, this conclusion is supported by econometric research, such as the likes of Undocumented Immigration and Unemployment of U.S. Youth and Minority Workers: Econometric Evidence:

You should actually be focusing on the perpetual existence of equilibrium unemployment in the capitalist economy.
Just the fact that this study uses the term "undocumented immigrant" negates their credibility. It is ridiculous to claim that millions of blue collar type illegals aren't competing for jobs against blue collar Americans when they are willing to take less for the same job. We have no shortage of American blue collar workers in this country just unfair competition from illegal foreigners.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Just the fact that this study uses the term "undocumented immigrant" negates their credibility. It is ridiculous to claim that millions of blue collar type illegals aren't competing for jobs against blue collar Americans when they are willing to take less for the same job. We have no shortage of American blue collar workers in this country just unfair competition from illegal foreigners.
Either post evidence of methodological errors in the study that invalidate its conclusions, or cite more recent research of superior quality that contradicts those conclusions. Simply contradicting the study with your own assertions is pointless.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Either post evidence of methodological errors in the study that invalidate its conclusions, or cite more recent research of superior quality that contradicts those conclusions. Simply contradicting the study with your own assertions is pointless.
Impacts of Illegal Immigration: Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration