U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM

23,005 posts, read 31,965,939 times

Advertisements

Haiti's condition is all the more reason why the "wet foot dry foot" policy is unfair and racist and needs to be removed. I can understand trying to escape Haiti. Cuba's folks dont live all that bad. I think if you enter illegally you get deported beit Haitian, Cuban, or Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Haiti's condition is all the more reason why the "wet foot dry foot" policy is unfair and racist and needs to be removed. I can understand trying to escape Haiti. Cuba's folks dont live all that bad. I think if you enter illegally you get deported beit Haitian, Cuban, or Mexican.
Another reason to end the wet foot dry foot policy for Cubans is that at the time, it was a reaction to Castro -- to Communism which is outdated. Castro was feared as an unbeatble ferocious Communist dictator that the Cuban people could never defeat.

For one Castro may or may not even be alive, and if he still is alive, he can't stand up on his own, a gentle breeze would blow him over. If they can't defeat him now, it's only because they don't want to.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
People are not starving in Ireland, Canada, and Mexico. Yet we have far more illegals from those countries than we do Haiti. Many Haitians suffer from severe malnutrition and disease. That is why they come to America illegally. Some of the billions we have wasted in Iraq could have rebuilt Haiti's infrastructure reducing the need to emigrate illegally. I have never read about Haitians demanding we accomodate them in the creole language. I have always heard they are some of S Florida's hardest workers. I think Haitians deserve a break.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:39 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Another reason to end the wet foot dry foot policy for Cubans is that at the time, it was a reaction to Castro -- to Communism which is outdated. Castro was feared as an unbeatble ferocious Communist dictator that the Cuban people could never defeat.

For one Castro may or may not even be alive, and if he still is alive, he can't stand up on his own, a gentle breeze would blow him over. If they can't defeat him now, it's only because they don't want to.
More and more; I agree with both of you concerning 'wet foot/dry foot' re: Cubans.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
People are not starving in Ireland, Canada, and Mexico. Yet we have far more illegals from those countries than we do Haiti. Many Haitians suffer from severe malnutrition and disease. That is why they come to America illegally. Some of the billions we have wasted in Iraq could have rebuilt Haiti's infrastructure reducing the need to emigrate illegally. I have never read about Haitians demanding we accomodate them in the creole language. I have always heard they are some of S Florida's hardest workers. I think Haitians deserve a break.
Fair enough.

Although; France should help out (similar basic culture)------------even if it means placing Haiti back under French control as an overseas 'department' a la Martinique.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM

569 posts, read 1,466,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I guess you don't live in S. Florida because many credit card machines are now in Creole. You hear this gibberish language everywhere you go. We have enough of our own problems. I don't think we need to be rebuilding the poorest stone age country of Haiti. No matter what we do there things would not improve. It would have to be built from the ground up starting with the industrial revolution. It is just too much of a lost society. That is their problem and their government's problem. They are coming here illegally and driving illegally and commiting all kinds of crimes. There are also plenty of Haitian gangs wreaking havoc even on each other. They are taking up plenty of jail cells. Not to mention the AIDS and other diseases they are bringing in for the rest of us. Thank you very much. By the way, half of the Haitians in S. Florida are already here illegally since they come by boat practically every night. They should all be shipped back to Haiti at their own expense. If they can pay the smugglers to come here to begin with then they can pay to go back. I am sick of all the impoverished and criminals and just plain lost coming to America. It is ruining our country and forcing us backward.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Fair enough.

Although; France should help out (similar basic culture)------------even if it means placing Haiti back under French control as an overseas 'department' a la Martinique.
Maybe not France. Being a former British colony seems to work out the best. France and Spain didn't do much for their colonies, but being colonized by the British seems to be about the best thing that could happen to a country.

Barbados for example -- no comparison with Haiti.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,466,219 times
Quote:
Maybe not France. Being a former British colony seems to work out the best. France and Spain didn't do much for their colonies, but being colonized by the British seems to be about the best thing that could happen to a country.

I don't think anyone wants Haiti. It is a wasteland. The Dominican Republic on the same island doesn't even want it. Luckily they are separated by mountains.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:

Point well taken.

And; unfortunately, you are indeed correct.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,418,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
The Haitians want the same treatment as the Cubans coming from Cuba. Makes sense to me.

Didn't anybody ever tell you that "We" set up those corrupt governments in Haiti?

Exactly! I don't differentiate between illegal immigrants and Cuban migrants. They're all border jumpers to me. It's high time that the U.S. quit playing favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration