U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:25 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,902,772 times

Advertisements

Valdez and her family are from Mexico and moved here when she was 2.
"Our problem is that we were brought here illegally," says her brother, Adelfo Valdez, "so we broke the law just being here. We can't become residents or citizens, because we didn't get a permit to arrive here."
That means that while Valdez can go to any college she wants, she will have to pay for it. Without a social security number, she can't accept the scholarship offer she received from Oklahoma City College and she won't be able to take out school loans.
"The money," she says, "that's what's holding most of it back, because I can apply, but I can't do the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) funds and get more scholarships because of my social. I don't have one, so that's the problem."

Wrestler can't take college scholarships due to immigration laws | SPORTS | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/sports/stories/wfaa090518_ac_wrestler-scholarships.173b25b9.html - broken link)

Does she really think that not having "her social" is the problem? She knows that they are here illegally yet that doesn't seem to bother her. What bothers her is the realization that being an illegal alien is getting in the way of "her plans" for "her future" in OUR country. Because of course it's all about them and nothing is ever their fault or responsibility.

The more I read, the more I am convinced that either these people really don't understand the difference between right and wrong or reality vs. fantasy is optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,077,271 times
well this always begs the question regarding the sins of the father.

should children suffer the consequences of their parents actions?

especially these children who are smart enough and dedicated enought to become productive citizens of the US? as i have said elsewhere, if these children do get a path, it should stop with them. no chance of sponsorship for the people who created this headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Valdez and her family are from Mexico and moved here when she was 2.
"Our problem is that we were brought here illegally," says her brother, Adelfo Valdez, "so we broke the law just being here. We can't become residents or citizens, because we didn't get a permit to arrive here."
That means that while Valdez can go to any college she wants, she will have to pay for it. Without a social security number, she can't accept the scholarship offer she received from Oklahoma City College and she won't be able to take out school loans.
"The money," she says, "that's what's holding most of it back, because I can apply, but I can't do the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) funds and get more scholarships because of my social. I don't have one, so that's the problem."

Wrestler can't take college scholarships due to immigration laws | SPORTS | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/sports/stories/wfaa090518_ac_wrestler-scholarships.173b25b9.html - broken link)

Does she really think that not having "her social" is the problem? She knows that they are here illegally yet that doesn't seem to bother her. What bothers her is the realization that being an illegal alien is getting in the way of "her plans" for "her future" in OUR country. Because of course it's all about them and nothing is ever their fault or responsibility.

The more I read, the more I am convinced that either these people really don't understand the difference between right and wrong or reality vs. fantasy is optional.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

especially these children who are smart enough and dedicated enought to become productive citizens of the US?
The sins of their fathers/mothers is simply that. There are many American children suffering daily due to the sins of their fathers and mothers. Therefore, her problems and the blame and responsibility for the situation lies with her parents. These are NOT America's children therefore we owe them nothing.

That being said, she's a wrestler not a scholar. I'm sure she can wrestle in Mexico.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,009 times
Quote:

especially these children who are smart enough and dedicated enought to become productive citizens of the US? as i have said elsewhere, if these children do get a path, it should stop with them. no chance of sponsorship for the people who created this headache.
The sad reality is that children are forced to deal with the consequences of wrongdoings by their parents all the time. If a parent is sentenced to jail time, his or her child suffers but we cannot say they should not serve their sentence simply because they are a parent. If parents get in over their heads financially and end up losing the family home, their children will suffer from being uprooted and losing the house they have been living in, but no bank is going to let them remain in a home when they are not paying the mortgage because they have children.

What the DREAMies are asking for is that the rules be changed for them. Instead of being angry at Americans they need to take the issue up with their parents. Their parents brought them here under the assumption that they would be able to game the system. Sorry, but things didn't work out that way. The DREAMies have already received a k-12 education courtesy of the US taxpayer, it is time for them to return to their home countries to continue their education. They can become productive citizens of their home countries and in all honesty, the home countries need them far more than we do.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,462,455 times
its the "i" word that keeps coming up. illegal immigration. we the people created this mess with deliberate non enforcement of our own laws.
sell out by DC and los pinos of american labor. the issue is not scholarships or the other benefits for citizens, the issue is immigration.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-18-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 07:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The sins of their fathers/mothers is simply that. There are many American children suffering daily due to the sins of their fathers and mothers. Therefore, her problems and the blame and responsibility for the situation lies with her parents. These are NOT America's children therefore we owe them nothing.

That being said, she's a wrestler not a scholar. I'm sure she can wrestle in Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The sad reality is that children are forced to deal with the consequences of wrongdoings by their parents all the time. If a parent is sentenced to jail time, his or her child suffers but we cannot say they should not serve their sentence simply because they are a parent. If parents get in over their heads financially and end up losing the family home, their children will suffer from being uprooted and losing the house they have been living in, but no bank is going to let them remain in a home when they are not paying the mortgage because they have children.

What the DREAMies are asking for is that the rules be changed for them. Instead of being angry at Americans they need to take the issue up with their parents. Their parents brought them here under the assumption that they would be able to game the system. Sorry, but things didn't work out that way. The DREAMies have already received a k-12 education courtesy of the US taxpayer, it is time for them to return to their home countries to continue their education. They can become productive citizens of their home countries and in all honesty, the home countries need them far more than we do.
My sentiments exactly. Furthermore, if we grant citizenship to DREAMies, their parents will be rewarded for violating our laws. It would also be another HUGE illegal alien magnet.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My sentiments exactly. Furthermore, if we grant citizenship to DREAMies, their parents will be rewarded for violating our laws. It would also be another HUGE illegal alien magnet.

Agreed. They are still crossing the border in droves in anticipation of the next "last" amnesty.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM

right the children do suffer, but they are not incarcerated along with the parents.

thats the distinction here.

children dont have a choice.

and i would still like to see a cost analysis. how much would it cost us to cut them loose? to keep them?

after investing so much money in these kids, it seems like a silly move, economically, to now lose out on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post

Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM

well thats why a nice provision could be made to exclude parents from being sponsored.

i think there is some middle ground.

we lose more than we gain. but im talkign about the exemplary students. just being a student doesnt grant them anything. we should harvest the greatest minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
right the children do suffer, but they are not incarcerated along with the parents.

thats the distinction here.

children dont have a choice.

and i would still like to see a cost analysis. how much would it cost us to cut them loose? to keep them?

after investing so much money in these kids, it seems like a silly move, economically, to now lose out on them.
Why should I, the tax payer, be burdened, no, hit with a penalty because of some Illegals? Blame their parents not us.

The kids shouldn't be blamed nor us. All the burden is on the parents but they have learned how to bilk the system. I have no problem sending them packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration