U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,861,656 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
They should learn english if they wish to live in the country, NOT necessarily because it is "relevant" but because IF they choose to be a citizen of this country, they can show their determination by learning the predominate language of the country, ex: IF I wanted to move to China, I would learn Mandarin because I would WANT so badly to live in the country, that I would be motivated to learn (that is an example for the sake of example, NOT because I would live in a Communist Country)..

Illegal Aliens HAD the opportunity to become eligible for citizenship but instead choose to enter this country ILLEGALLY, therefore, they have made their choice and should receive the appropriate consequences of their action, NOT "instant citizenship" that would cheapen the process of becoming an American Citizen.. Being an American Citizen is something that MANY in other countries, with many talents and gifts to offer desire..

Bottom line: I Would much rather have an Immigrant living in this country that WANTS to be here and has shown the drive and determination to learn the language and using the legal process than someone that sneaks into my country to undercut wages of working class Americans, has children that they cannot afford while living in this country, and refuses to learn the language and assimilate while DEMANDING that Americans learn and cater to THEIR language and culture..
Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,861,656 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
How many non-residents (since they have returned to their homelands) are eligible to "begin the citizenship application process"? I think you need to be a legal resident for at least 5 years (3 years if you are married to a US citizen, or served in the military) before you can begin the "citizenship application process."

If you meant the application for legal immigration, and becoming a legal permanent resident, I don't think they can begin the residency application process anyway since there is a 10 years ( I think ) penalty for being in the US illegally and then the likeliness of them being granted any kind of entry permit if really slim. This is if they are even eligible to apply, that judging from the fact that they decided to enter the country illegally or overstayed their visas, I would think that most of them are still not eligible to apply.

If you were to put yourself on their shoes, you would realize that the alternative you propose it's not a realistic one. Most people would not trade their illegal alien status for a 10 year wait plus a slim chance of getting a legal permanent residency.

I am aware that most people here have never broken a law (caught or not) and are rather willing to judge others who have, but I think that proposing alternatives that are not realistic accomplishes little but to misinform people who are ignorant about the issue.
We institute laws for a reason. If people choose to violate our laws by living in this country illegally, they must also accept the consequences. We owe them NOTHING.

We have millions of unemployed U.S. citizens. If illegal aliens ever served a purpose, they no longer do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,177,939 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
They should learn english if they wish to live in the country, NOT necessarily because it is "relevant" but because IF they choose to be a citizen of this country, they can show their determination by learning the predominate language of the country, ex: IF I wanted to move to China, I would learn Mandarin because I would WANT so badly to live in the country, that I would be motivated to learn (that is an example for the sake of example, NOT because I would live in a Communist Country)..

Illegal Aliens HAD the opportunity to become eligible for citizenship but instead choose to enter this country ILLEGALLY, therefore, they have made their choice and should receive the appropriate consequences of their action, NOT "instant citizenship" that would cheapen the process of becoming an American Citizen.. Being an American Citizen is something that MANY in other countries, with many talents and gifts to offer desire..

Bottom line: I Would much rather have an Immigrant living in this country that WANTS to be here and has shown the drive and determination to learn the language and using the legal process than someone that sneaks into my country to undercut wages of working class Americans, has children that they cannot afford while living in this country, and refuses to learn the language and assimilate while DEMANDING that Americans learn and cater to THEIR language and culture..

I agree with you in the fact that everyone should learn English, it's not a hard language to get to a point where you can communicate efficiently. It's really useful not only in the US, but when travelling around the world and when reading publications from other countries.

As far for assimilation, I can speak English rather well ( Or at least I like to think so) but I only incorporate the aspects of the US culture into mine that I regard as beneficial. If for some reason you would have to move to a different country, (ie. Significant other gets a job transfer, business opportunity) you would like to be able to life as who you are even though you are in a different country and you wouldn't want their culture imposed onto you.


The highlighted area of the quote implies that everyone is eligible to emigrate legally to the US, and I don't think this is correct. i have several family members who do not meet the financial or anchoring ( for lach of a better word, to refer to as real state property and really good jobs) requirements to even get a tourist visa even after I have sent affidavits of support ( latter I learnt that this is not as beneficial, and that in some cases it could be detrimental to the application) let alone legal permanent residency, that is mainly based on family reunification.

On your bottom line: You say that you would rather have an "Immigrant living in this country that WANTS to be here and has shown the drive and determination to learn the language and using the legal process" so, do you support the legalization of illegal aliens who want to be here and have the drive an determination to learn the language and are willing to use the legal process if given the chance (ie path to citizenship for illegal aliens)? Or do you support the deportation of all illegal aliens regarless of their individual merits?

At this point the merits of the individual are not taken into consideration for eligibility. I think a blanket amnesty would not be the correct meassure, but a path to legalization that takes into account the individual and sets a bar for those who want to regularize their status. (In this case, make learning English a requirement to legalization and I'll bet the ones that really want to get on the right status will quickly learn Enlgish)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
 
569 posts, read 1,469,201 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
They should learn english if they wish to live in the country, NOT necessarily because it is "relevant" but because IF they choose to be a citizen of this country, they can show their determination by learning the predominate language of the country, ex: IF I wanted to move to China, I would learn Mandarin because I would WANT so badly to live in the country, that I would be motivated to learn (that is an example for the sake of example, NOT because I would live in a Communist Country)..

Illegal Aliens HAD the opportunity to become eligible for citizenship but instead choose to enter this country ILLEGALLY, therefore, they have made their choice and should receive the appropriate consequences of their action, NOT "instant citizenship" that would cheapen the process of becoming an American Citizen.. Being an American Citizen is something that MANY in other countries, with many talents and gifts to offer desire..

Bottom line: I Would much rather have an Immigrant living in this country that WANTS to be here and has shown the drive and determination to learn the language and using the legal process than someone that sneaks into my country to undercut wages of working class Americans, has children that they cannot afford while living in this country, and refuses to learn the language and assimilate while DEMANDING that Americans learn and cater to THEIR language and culture..
A most excellent post. Very fair and sensible. How can anyone argue with that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,878,113 times
Reputation: 6264
Am I turning soft?

I can see granting citizenship to those who were brought here as minors (parent's choice not theirs) so long as they complete college or serve in the military.

Everybody else can go back home and get at the back of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,721,341 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Am I turning soft?

I can see granting citizenship to those who were brought here as minors (parent's choice not theirs) so long as they complete college or serve in the military.

Everybody else can go back home and get at the back of the line.
May be an option with the proviso that their illegal alien parents are still deported...........which would effectively render moot the presence of most of the DREAMies since they would return home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,401,749 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Am I turning soft?

I can see granting citizenship to those who were brought here as minors (parent's choice not theirs) so long as they complete college or serve in the military.

Everybody else can go back home and get at the back of the line.
Yep, you're going soft. Granting citizenship to minor children of illegal trespassers would only ensure that EVERY illegal trespasser would then be sure to bring their minor children with them hoping to get their minor children amnesty from "softies" like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,084,092 times
Reputation: 4875
We need to deport every single illegal and tell them to go home and come back the lawful way and learn OUR language of English to stay home.

I do not mind people coming here that will be an asset to our country and want to be Americans, I do mind people coming here and not wanting to learn our language and follow our laws.

Next thing is we need to deport every single one of them and when they come back they must be required to get all the necessary shots so we do not continue to see a massive amounts of old diseases come back only because of our open border situation.

Time to start the mass deportation of illegals. Remember folks, being here illegally is against our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,084,092 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Yep, you're going soft. Granting citizenship to minor children of illegal trespassers would only ensure that EVERY illegal trespasser would then be sure to bring their minor children with them hoping to get their minor children amnesty from "softies" like you.

We also need to end the birth right in America for children of illegals. Send them home with their illegal parents and make them come back the lawful way.

If you are an accessory to a law that is broken you get nailed for it, this is the same thing. The parents are breaking the law by being here and we are rewarding them for allowing their kids to become auto citizens.

This needs to end today! Send parents and kids all back home where they come from and when they learn our language and our laws and want to be Americans they can get in line with everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: SARASOTA, FLORIDA
11,501 posts, read 13,084,092 times
Reputation: 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Yep, you're going soft. Granting citizenship to minor children of illegal trespassers would only ensure that EVERY illegal trespasser would then be sure to bring their minor children with them hoping to get their minor children amnesty from "softies" like you.

See was being soft has done to our country?

People need to look around and see what these open borders has done to our country.

No more softies allowed. Time to end this now. ALL illegals, every single one of them, including the kids, need to be arrested and returned home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top