U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Illegal immigration costs, overall, $346 billion annually, according to economist Edwin Rubenstein at the ESR Economic Research Consultants and published at: www.thesocialcontract.com

Estimates show 300,000 to 350,000 illegal alien women stream into the United States annually to birth their babies upon American soil. Known as “anchor babies” or “jackpot babies”, the average cost of a normal delivery to U.S. taxpayers runs $6,000 to $8,000.

However, if the child suffers from a birth defect such as mio-cardial septal defect, Downs Syndrome, autism or AIDS, etc., the costs run into the millions for taxpayers. Additionally, those babies must be educated at taxpayer expense at $8,000 per year for 13 years K-12.

Their parents never pay enough in taxes because they work as such low wages and half of them work off the books. Thus, according to “Breaking the Piggy Bank: how illegal aliens keep American schools in the red” a study by www.fairus(dot)org , anchor babies cost U.S. taxpayers $7.4 billion annually. That does not include medical care costs that also run into the billions. Finally, more often than most realize, those anchor babies end up in our prisons at a cost of $2 billion annually to house, feed and medically care for them. Illegal criminal aliens consist of 29 percent of our prison populations. (Source: www.cis.org)

Denver Political Issues Examiner: Anchor babies away: enormous cost of jackpot babies to taxpayers (http://www.examiner.com/x-3515-Denver-Political-Issues-Examiner~y2009m5d18-Anchor-babies-away-enormous-cost-of-jackpot-babies-to-taxpayers - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Reputation: 1039
Well, hell. I live in a border state.
I can't say I wouldn't do the same as them, in their shoes. I'd try to obtain the best life possible for myself and my children, as we probably all would.
I can't really fault them (illegal immigrants).
The ones I've encountered are religious, family-oriented, and work very hard.
Only a geographical accident of birth separates them from us. We are a wealthy nation.
Although I'm not wealthy, particularly- in fact, I'm pretty poor- I don't begrudge them entry if they're seeking a better life.
I do think that if arrested for a felony, they should be deported. We have enough criminals of the home-grown variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, hell. I live in a border state.
I can't say I wouldn't do the same as them, in their shoes. I'd try to obtain the best life possible for myself and my children, as we probably all would.
I can't really fault them (illegal immigrants).
The ones I've encountered are religious, family-oriented, and work very hard.
Only a geographical accident of birth separates them from us. We are a wealthy nation.
Although I'm not wealthy, particularly- in fact, I'm pretty poor- I don't begrudge them entry if they're seeking a better life.
I do think that if arrested for a felony, they should be deported. We have enough criminals of the home-grown variety.
I was born at approximately 4 am today. So of course I believe and agree with everything you just posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
 
24 posts, read 65,744 times
Reputation: 16
I love when so called "Americans" talk about anchor babies. Ask yourself this question: "who in my family was the first anchor baby? Was it my Grandma or my Great Great Grandpa". Because unless you are Native American, EVERYONE has a anchor baby relative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would take all this energy on being negative and redirect that on something positive, things might look brighter for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C H View Post
I love when so called "Americans" talk about anchor babies. Ask yourself this question: "who in my family was the first anchor baby? Was it my Grandma or my Great Great Grandpa". Because unless you are Native American, EVERYONE has a anchor baby relative!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would take all this energy on being negative and redirect that on something positive, things might look brighter for you.
UMMMM

The social service drain tied to the lat/lon of having your child hasn't been around since the grand opening of Ellis Island.This is a more recent phenom. You are a tax payer (maybe not) so I would think those huge numbers would bother you? Of course many using these people as near slave labor would beg to differ as they are benefiting from the tax payer subsidized workers.

$346 billion annually? Ya, that's something to be positive about, positively pissed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, hell. I live in a border state.
I can't say I wouldn't do the same as them, in their shoes. I'd try to obtain the best life possible for myself and my children, as we probably all would.
I can't really fault them (illegal immigrants).
The ones I've encountered are religious, family-oriented, and work very hard.
Only a geographical accident of birth separates them from us. We are a wealthy nation.
Although I'm not wealthy, particularly- in fact, I'm pretty poor- I don't begrudge them entry if they're seeking a better life.
I do think that if arrested for a felony, they should be deported. We have enough criminals of the home-grown variety.
There are impoverished Nations all over the World, Mexico just happens to have money, money the rich won't share with it's poor. How is that my problem again? Besides of course, there being 20 million and counting sneaking across abusing the system set up for America's poor.

Why aren't we stopping off in Africa and loading up our war ships with their poor to bring back to America. Because that would be stupid that's why. We have enough poverty without importing it. Letting people run across the border is no different that bringing it in by boat with a red carpet.

You say you are poor, do you think we owe you a better life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Well, hell. I live in a border state.
I can't say I wouldn't do the same as them, in their shoes. I'd try to obtain the best life possible for myself and my children, as we probably all would.
I can't really fault them (illegal immigrants).
The ones I've encountered are religious, family-oriented, and work very hard.
Only a geographical accident of birth separates them from us. We are a wealthy nation.
Although I'm not wealthy, particularly- in fact, I'm pretty poor- I don't begrudge them entry if they're seeking a better life.
I do think that if arrested for a felony, they should be deported. We have enough criminals of the home-grown variety.
You're right. I AM trying to obtain the best possible life for MYSELF, which means ridding the U.S. of the freeloading illegal aliens who cost ME money with their extreme neediness, their ridiculously high breeding rates, and their lack of ability to support themselves without taxpayer assistance.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's about seeking the best possible lives for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
You're right. I AM trying to obtain the best possible life for MYSELF, which means ridding the U.S. of the freeloading illegal aliens who cost ME money with their extreme neediness, their ridiculously high breeding rates, and their lack of ability to support themselves without taxpayer assistance.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's about seeking the best possible lives for ourselves.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, I guess.
I've always been the type to root for the underdog, though.
It's just my nature.
You're trying to get the best possible life for yourself; so are they.
You were born with undeserved advantages, though.
They were born with undeserved disadvantages.
You were born in America, where even the poorest can afford to be fat.
They were born in impoverished circumstances.

I want everybody to be happy.

But I think you can be happy even with them living in your country.
And I'm not sure they can be happy, if they can't afford adequate food and medical care for their families no matter how hard they work, merely because of the location in which they were born.
I don't begrudge them the opportunity to change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
 
24 posts, read 65,744 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
UMMMM

The social service drain tied to the lat/lon of having your child hasn't been around since the grand opening of Ellis Island.This is a more recent phenom. You are a tax payer (maybe not) so I would think those huge numbers would bother you? Of course many using these people as near slave labor would beg to differ as they are benefiting from the tax payer subsidized workers.

$346 billion annually? Ya, that's something to be positive about, positively pissed!
Whatever...you made no point. The pot calling the kettle black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
I don't begrudge them the opportunity to change this.
Perhaps they should try to improve their own countries instead of doing nothing by fleeing from it in order to break the laws of another country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top