U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Really? Sometimes I wonder about the comments you make...like this is an act right?

A Berlin style wall in CA? I'm not paying for it.
If our Federal Government mandates a wall across our southern border----------You (and the rest of us) will indeed pay for it

Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If our Federal Government mandates a wall across our southern border----------You (and the rest of us) will indeed pay for it
No **** sherlock.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM

640 posts, read 1,514,220 times
I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but I am positive that attitudes like the one exhibited in this thread are what lead to the significant race/class/citizenship stratification that I saw in California.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,090,581 times
Quote:
(a small percentage of violent crimes are caused by illegal immigrants), and the economic crash in CA was NOT EVEN remotely due to illegal immigrants...how can it be when they have such a small percentage of home loans?
Could have quoted and commented on your entire last four or five posts,but these two statements are the most absurd.Ask any peace officer about the first,and as for the second,guess that 10 billion a year in various costs is meaningless in your budget calculations?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Could have quoted and commented on your entire last four or five posts,but these two statements are the most absurd.Ask any peace officer about the first,and as for the second,guess that 10 billion a year in various costs is meaningless in your budget calculations?
Sorry if I actually did the research?

Follow me on this...if Hispanics have an incarceration rate roughly equal to that of the state and national average and if illegals constitute a minority, it is likely that they do about average on the crime. With that said, foriegn born residents are less likely to commit a crime, so it is more probable that illegals do commit less crimes. Some studies have concluded that immigrants, regardless of status, were less likely to commit a crime. My police friends have actually agreed with that statement.

The economic downturn was not caused by illegal immigrants. First off, what cost are you talking about? You can't throw out numbers out of context. 20 pigs. See? You have no idea what I'm talking about because there is no context. 10 billion dollar a year cost. On what? On who? The mortgage crisis? Again, very much without context.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
You understand that if that all the illegal immigrants were to leave out of CA, the economy of CA would crash. The net migration of Californians would be outbound and we would lose a significant amount of sales revenue.

Regardless of the fact that when you post a quote, it is implied you would actually respond to it, not go out onto a a tangent.
There is a net outflow of population *from* California. This is not the illegals, but long term residents who have had it. All the taxes, the deteriorating social structure, the gang grafetti everywhere, and the illegals. I've lived in two neighborhoods which got taken over by the hispanic population who fills the front yard with cars, blasts music and doesn't speak English. (Just to make a point I'd ask in German for them to speak English.) We got mail in all spanish. All the non-hispanics moved and the hispanic families who had lived there and did not fill the yard with cars moved too.

I know that a good many of those I knew then in the 90's were going out of state. Even more people do now. Where I live we have NO gangs or gang grafetti, the traffic is calm and I don't wonder what will be stolen next. If this neighborhood had not been invaded and destroyed would these people have left? Were all of them illegals? I don't know. But I would make a guess a reasonable percent were.

California IS losing its tax base. People who are fed up and voting with their feet are leaving with their cash and spending habits. They are taking their middle class kids with them who will not be able to afford California.

Illegals should be forbidden ALL social aid. Verification of legal status should be required for school, jobs and housing. It is the illegals that should be leaving, not those citizens and immigrants who live there legally. Perhaps if money from this tax base was not spent of educating, giving aid, or incarcerating illegals, maybe those who were paying for it would have not needed to leave because they could afford to stay.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 6 days ago)

14,422 posts, read 16,686,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
I haven't taken the time to read the entire thread, but I am positive that attitudes like the one exhibited in this thread are what lead to the significant race/class/citizenship stratification that I saw in California.
Your partly right. But in a different way. I agree with the OP but don't like that I do. I was raised to be not just tolerant but to accept all people as one. I was raised to see people as people. I see black people or asians and I just see people. I see hispanics and I see "them".

Why? Because so much of this post is dead on. I've called the police on neighbors who were blasting that music (which I have grown to hate) at 1am. Asking nicely did nothing. We got calls and mail in Spanish only (and I refuse to learn it). We had a neighbor banging on the window trying to tell us the fence was on fire, but he didnt know enough English to do more than yell and point. And had lived there for four years. I had neighbors who did speak English switch languages mis sentence and poof I was invisible when a hispanic person came up. I had the group of gang jr types try to stop my car as I drove down my own street. This is my image of hispanics. Sorry but this sticks. I know hispanics who have lived here for several generations at least who are disgusted by the illegals since I am not alone. I do see them as humans, but had to get past the image. And the people marching to get a free pass really really got me angry. Steal my neighborhood, demand legal statis where others (including friends of mine) are doing the jumping through hoops to legally immigrate with skills, and is there any wonder why people feel this way?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There is a net outflow of population *from* California. This is not the illegals, but long term residents who have had it. All the taxes, the deteriorating social structure, the gang grafetti everywhere, and the illegals. I've lived in two neighborhoods which got taken over by the hispanic population who fills the front yard with cars, blasts music and doesn't speak English. (Just to make a point I'd ask in German for them to speak English.) We got mail in all spanish. All the non-hispanics moved and the hispanic families who had lived there and did not fill the yard with cars moved too.

There is a domestic outflow, this is more due to high home prices and lack of jobs. People who moved due to changing demographics are not going to happy in most places as they change. For the most part, people moved due the high cost of living (home prices are the highest in the nation). However, there is a net inflow since our population increases with immigration. CA still has a strong tax base (7th highest median income in the nation). I've never gotten mail in all Spanish, and if I did I'd toss it. It never bothered me to the point of wanting to move out of CA. My White neighbor has cars on his front yard. I personally don't mind. Sometimes other neighbors complain, but he is fixing up his racecar which is kind of cool. His yard is a little yellow at times, but it really doesn't affect me. My parents speak in French with each other and friends. Our neighbors don't seem to care.

I know that a good many of those I knew then in the 90's were going out of state. Even more people do now. Where I live we have NO gangs or gang grafetti, the traffic is calm and I don't wonder what will be stolen next. If this neighborhood had not been invaded and destroyed would these people have left? Were all of them illegals? I don't know. But I would make a guess a reasonable percent were.

Where I live there are no gangs. Where my parents live there are no gangs, no grafitti. Hell, I accidently left my keys on the car and my neighbor put a kind note on the windshield. One time, during a heavy Santa Ana day, I forgot to lock the door and it was left open the entire night. My parent's side kitchen door doesn't lock...and neither does the gate in front of it. Some of our neighbors left when the Hispanic families moved in, but the safety of the neighborhood remained the same. They all left out of fear.

California IS losing its tax base. People who are fed up and voting with their feet are leaving with their cash and spending habits. They are taking their middle class kids with them who will not be able to afford California.

CA is losing its tax base because of A LOT of waste in spending, a toxic business environment, and high housing costs. These are the factors that directly contribute to our lackluster economy.

Illegals should be forbidden ALL social aid. Verification of legal status should be required for school, jobs and housing. It is the illegals that should be leaving, not those citizens and immigrants who live there legally. Perhaps if money from this tax base was not spent of educating, giving aid, or incarcerating illegals, maybe those who were paying for it would have not needed to leave because they could afford to stay.

No. This will create more poverty and really lead CA down the tubes. Denying education and creating an underclass/apartheid system will only lead to doom. South Africa is a shining example of that.
Meh

Old 05-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
Quote:
No. This will create more poverty and really lead CA down the tubes. Denying education and creating an underclass/apartheid system will only lead to doom. South Africa is a shining example of that.
OK. The US govt. makes it mandatory to offer free financial & social services to all illegals. Soon afterwards thousands, if not millions, of poor illegal Mexicans & Central Americans start streaming northward across the border illegally to take advantage of the freebies. Is that acceptable to you?

BTW, how can you compare denying govt. services to illegals to an apartheid system? The South African govt. isn't/wasn't in any way obligated to subsidize illegals from its northern neighbors.

Last edited by antireconquista; 05-23-2009 at 12:49 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Your partly right. But in a different way. I agree with the OP but don't like that I do. I was raised to be not just tolerant but to accept all people as one. I was raised to see people as people. I see black people or asians and I just see people. I see hispanics and I see "them".

Why? Because so much of this post is dead on. I've called the police on neighbors who were blasting that music (which I have grown to hate) at 1am. Asking nicely did nothing. We got calls and mail in Spanish only (and I refuse to learn it). We had a neighbor banging on the window trying to tell us the fence was on fire, but he didnt know enough English to do more than yell and point. And had lived there for four years. I had neighbors who did speak English switch languages mis sentence and poof I was invisible when a hispanic person came up. I had the group of gang jr types try to stop my car as I drove down my own street. This is my image of hispanics. Sorry but this sticks. I know hispanics who have lived here for several generations at least who are disgusted by the illegals since I am not alone. I do see them as humans, but had to get past the image. And the people marching to get a free pass really really got me angry. Steal my neighborhood, demand legal statis where others (including friends of mine) are doing the jumping through hoops to legally immigrate with skills, and is there any wonder why people feel this way?
And you are speaking for a lot of us antis: American Anglo and Latino.

I am becoming that exact same way and it frightens me. Like you; I was not raised racist.

It is to the point that when I see a group of 'brown' people and realize they are American Indian------------my blood pressure drops because they are my 'raza' AKA fellow Americans. Ditto for my perception of non gangbanger Blacks. And the same thing can be said about true blue American Latinos------------they are nothing like illegal aliens aside from a 'shared' ethnicity in most cases.

PS: Bright Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or