U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:58 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,085,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I know something about California. I'm a fourth generation resident. My wife's family has been here somewhat longer, having walked across the Bering Strait from Asia sometime around 30,000 years ago.

California has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. It also has vast, festering barrios, grafitti-stewn ghettos, and tiny, isolated logging towns. It has miles of poor neighborhoods, and many, many pockets of rural squalor and 'trailer camps, (complete with cockfights and derelict cars) that would make Arkansas or Mississippi look like Switzerland by comparison. It also has MILES of middle-class tract housing that AREN'T part of a 'planned community'.

California ALSO has areas like your photo, above...and that's what those who watch TV get to see. But that is not what the MAJORITY of California is like...not even close. Most of it, in fact, is nearly uninhabited. California has many things, and MOST of it, in real life, isn't at ALL like your photo. That's simply not true.

If you're going to make broad-brush statements, prepare to back them up.
Yes, you are right the majority of CA is desert... but the majority of where people live are newer middle class suburbs (built from the 1970s to 2000s). The average CA family makes about 60k-70k a year. Has a family of 3-4, has attended some college, and is either White or Hispanic.The average range of home age is between 1970-2009 (newer). So while the majority of CA is not inhabited...the places that are tend to MORE look like the above photo (regular suburbs). The MAJORITY live in suburban areas. This is a fact. Pockets of rural squalor and pockets of urban decay are just that...pockets.

BTW the above may not have been a planned community.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:44 AM

346 posts, read 387,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
I have been living in California for about 4 years and have noticed that the culture that is portrayed on television about California really does not exist anywhere except maybe Santa Monica or Malibu. Most of Southern California is a haven for illegal immigrants and their dirty, crime-ridden, gang-infested neighborhoods.

The culture of California is suffering. Where are all of the historical craftsman houses? Oh yeah, they are being stuccoed and painted pink with tacky iron fences around them. And if you are REALLY lucky, they won't put up a fence at all and instead will use old garage doors and scrap pieces of wood to make a fence.

They park 100 cars in their driveways because there are 40 people living in each home, hanging their laundry on the fences and in the trees and letting their children terrorize the neighborhood with their loud, gang-infested friends.

California was once a beautiful state where people could be anything they wanted and the illegal Mexicans have taken over and turned it into a cesspool that is filthy, expensive, and no longer American.

I am so sick of seeing commercials in Spanish and receiving mail at my home that is only written in Spanish.

I am sick of going to grocery stores where the clerks don's speak English.

I am sick of hearing Mariachi clown music blasted day and night with no regard to people who have to sleep.

I am sick of trying to buy clothing and finding nothing but tacky, lime-green, stretchy hooker dresses with sequins and bullcrap sewn all over it.

I am sick of people with pit bulls terrorizing the neighborhoods with their out-of-control dogs.

I am sick of illegals taking work from my partner who is in construction and doing illegal renovations to houses for 10 cents on the dollar.

I am sick of the crime, the theft, the gangs.

I am sick of the government of California kowtowing to the illegals and making room for them to come over here and crap out a bunch of anchor babies and rape our healthcare system with their promiscuous, ignorant, non-birth-control-taking selves.

I am sick of illegals sending their non-english-speaking children to school where other children suffer because the teachers are spending half of their class time catering to the illegal children.

I am sick of seeing masses of illegals hovering around Home Depot holding up signs demanding $15 an hour to do illegal under the table work.

I am sick of illegals knocking on my door trying to sell their homemade tamales, asking if I have any gold to sell, or asking if they can mow my lawn for extra money.

I am sick of living in a state where I pay thousands of dollars in taxes to support people who do not work and keep having children and getting their rent for free.

I am sick of having to pay extra insurance because so many of the illegals on the road do not have a driver's license OR car insurance.

I am sick of immigration rallies being held downtown where the taxpayers have to be responsible for cleaning up after the carnage and providing security.

California will not be recognizable in 5 years. I barely recognize it now.
I agree with everything you wrote.

California really is a beautiful state but it has been ruined by the leftists that are lackadaisical on illegal immigration and other matters.

Schwarzenegger can be faulted for all of this just as much as the Democrats because he is really just as liberal as any of them.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,632,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yes, you are right the majority of CA is desert... but the majority of where people live are newer middle class suburbs (built from the 1970s to 2000s). The average CA family makes about 60k-70k a year. Has a family of 3-4, has attended some college, and is either White or Hispanic.The average range of home age is between 1970-2009 (newer). So while the majority of CA is not inhabited...the places that are tend to MORE look like the above photo (regular suburbs). The MAJORITY live in suburban areas. This is a fact. Pockets of rural squalor and pockets of urban decay are just that...pockets.

BTW the above may not have been a planned community.
Once again, you got me. What on EARTH must I have been thinking? I don't think I've EVER in my life met ANYONE who knows quite so much about quite so many subjects as you do. As usual, I stand corrected...MOST of California looks just like your photo....and those who live elsewhere do so because of colonialism, prejudice, and other 'outside forces'. Gotcha....

And now I have to go, dude...the surf's up, and I'm overdue for my facial. Have a totally awesome day, bro. (I THINK that's how we say that )...

Ciao.....

Old 05-20-2009, 12:05 PM

32,906 posts, read 30,151,453 times
That picture might be an area by Rancho Bernado but it isn't close to what the average house S of the 8 (Where most people live) looks like. Take a look at google maps and do the street view.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,087,175 times
i have been here longer. as has most of my family. decades. generations.

i have seen the shift in demographics and its not a dire as you paint it.

ive lived in the hood and not even there is it that bad.

i am currently in los angeles.

where do you live?

what city are you talking about?

i live in an area that is very walkable/pedestrian friendly. it has its thugs, but they only beef with eachother. within a couple miles i can find arab, cuban, thai, salvi food.

my los angeles isnt as bad as people think. neither is my california.

and way to go!!! great ASSumption to think that those destroying CA are mexicans. way to ignorantly generalize.

Quote:
I have been living in California for about 4 years and have noticed that the culture that is portrayed on television about California really does not exist anywhere except maybe Santa Monica or Malibu. Most of Southern California is a haven for illegal immigrants and their dirty, crime-ridden, gang-infested neighborhoods.

The culture of California is suffering. Where are all of the historical craftsman houses? Oh yeah, they are being stuccoed and painted pink with tacky iron fences around them. And if you are REALLY lucky, they won't put up a fence at all and instead will use old garage doors and scrap pieces of wood to make a fence.

They park 100 cars in their driveways because there are 40 people living in each home, hanging their laundry on the fences and in the trees and letting their children terrorize the neighborhood with their loud, gang-infested friends.

California was once a beautiful state where people could be anything they wanted and the illegal Mexicans have taken over and turned it into a cesspool that is filthy, expensive, and no longer American.

I am so sick of seeing commercials in Spanish and receiving mail at my home that is only written in Spanish.

I am sick of going to grocery stores where the clerks don's speak English.

I am sick of hearing Mariachi clown music blasted day and night with no regard to people who have to sleep.

I am sick of trying to buy clothing and finding nothing but tacky, lime-green, stretchy hooker dresses with sequins and bullcrap sewn all over it.

I am sick of people with pit bulls terrorizing the neighborhoods with their out-of-control dogs.

I am sick of illegals taking work from my partner who is in construction and doing illegal renovations to houses for 10 cents on the dollar.

I am sick of the crime, the theft, the gangs.

I am sick of the government of California kowtowing to the illegals and making room for them to come over here and crap out a bunch of anchor babies and rape our healthcare system with their promiscuous, ignorant, non-birth-control-taking selves.

I am sick of illegals sending their non-english-speaking children to school where other children suffer because the teachers are spending half of their class time catering to the illegal children.

I am sick of seeing masses of illegals hovering around Home Depot holding up signs demanding $15 an hour to do illegal under the table work.

I am sick of illegals knocking on my door trying to sell their homemade tamales, asking if I have any gold to sell, or asking if they can mow my lawn for extra money.

I am sick of living in a state where I pay thousands of dollars in taxes to support people who do not work and keep having children and getting their rent for free.

I am sick of having to pay extra insurance because so many of the illegals on the road do not have a driver's license OR car insurance.

I am sick of immigration rallies being held downtown where the taxpayers have to be responsible for cleaning up after the carnage and providing security.

California will not be recognizable in 5 years. I barely recognize it now.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM

agricultural towns in the central valley of CA? gee what a suprise to find a bunch of "illegals"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I lived in California towns like Salinas,areas around Paso Robles,King City.
Sad as it is,California is the example the rest of the nation should look at for..
What COULD happen if something isnt done.
Im only early 30's but i wonder what California was like in the 1950's,60's.
I think the white middle class has been fleeing California since the 90's
And will continue to do so.Who's is going to pay for all the Illegals once..
The middle class is so small???

Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 PM

379 posts, read 515,302 times
California is lost. Our government is giving it away.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM

SAN DIMAS?!?!

where

The racial makeup of the city was 74.66% White, 3.30% African American, 0.69% Native American, 9.39% Asian, 0.21% Pacific Islander, 7.34% from other races, and 4.39% from two or more races. 23.34% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

and

The median income for a household in the city was $62,885, and the median income for a family was $72,124.

are you sure it was san dimas?

Quote:
See, that wasn't my experience with San Dimas at all. When I was looking to buy a house, I encountered a neighborhood FULL of the gang-element and tagged walls, houses and lawns that were unkempt and children running wild in the streets.
It just didn't appear to be all that safe to me with all of the teenagers decked out in rags and gang tattoos.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,632,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That picture might be an area by Rancho Bernado but it isn't close to what the average house S of the 8 (Where most people live) looks like. Take a look at google maps and do the street view.
I'm not sure of exactly WHERE this photo was taken...but a similar photo (from a VERY similar poster) was shown recently on this forum in a thread about 'multiculturalism'. In that instance, the photo was purportedly a view of Diamond Bar.....(on the LA/ Orange County border).

The viewer once again has to be struck by the CURRENT photo's exquisitely-rendered picture of a 'multicultural' California. Note that in this photo, where probably 25 to 30 ethnicities all live in harmony, ALL CULTURES are represented...

Some cultures represent themselves with beige stucco houses; while others have off-white, tan, or 'earth tone' stucco. Some cultures represent their ancestral values with roofs of red tile; others, 'going their own way', choose pink tile, or orange tile....but ALL cultures get represented in such a neighborhood.

And of course, as we all know, if the many cultures of the world agree on NOTHING ELSE, they ALL agree on "lawns"..and thus, true to form ,every single home in the photo has a lawn....(and they'd BETTER keep it mowed...or ELSE !!)

I guess cultures really ARE pretty much 'the same all over'....and, here in California, we encourage ALL cultures, from ANYWHERE, to freely express themselves...(provided, of course, that while doing so, they don't violate the extensive 'C.C & R.' rules of their respective Homeowners Associations).

Hooray for multiculturalism...long may it live....as long as it doesn't 'upset' anyone.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:19 PM

32,906 posts, read 30,151,453 times
I drive from Bay Park to Chula Vista every day to my office. I get to see the entire scale on a daily basis, I've worked in this office for 25 years and I still won't stop or eat at anything in this area for about 12 miles until I get closer to the 8. It ain't all peaches in the area south of the 8 that is for sure but there are parts (read small parts) of CV that are really nice. Remember we are talking averages here and the average home isn't all that especially if you are talking Apartments.

Oh, and when I ride my bike earle I do hear Roosters going at it early in the morning so someone has got some over near the 52
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or