U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Illegals are not the majority of drivers...Thus, the MAJORITY of drivers have insurance.
That's comforting to know. I guess because the MAJORITY of drunk drivers never actually COLLIDE with anyone, they're OK, too....and the MAJORITY of those who enter a store never steal anything....so no need for security. And of course, there's no need for seatbelts, either....as with or without them, the MAJORITY of car trips do not involve a 'rollover'.

 
Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's comforting to know. I guess because the MAJORITY of drunk drivers never actually COLLIDE with anyone, they're OK, too....and the MAJORITY of those who enter a store never steal anything....so no need for security. And of course, there's no need for seatbelts, either....as with or without them, the MAJORITY of car trips do not involve a 'rollover'.
Yeah it is comforting to know actually. The majority of drivers aren't drunk, do have insurance...

Just simply stating things happen, just be careful and move on.
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then there is Buena Vista, Virginia which I doubt has a large Hispanic population.

And I will not even go there re: Mexico, Missouri
Or Yazoo City, MS.
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Wichita,Kansas
2,731 posts, read 5,936,312 times
Reputation: 1328
Sorry, but I hear this too often: blue-collar folk bitching and moaning as if they deserve to live like the middle or upper-class do, and are prevented from assuming their rightful position in "bland suburbia" by the dreaded, culture-raping "illegals".

Face it, sweetie, you're working-class. Your neighborhood isn't going to be as nice as the 'hoods of the middle-class, regardless of the ethnicity of your neighbors.
There's a reason people go to college.

Quit blaming others, go back to school, and become a professional... or else do like me- a happy working-class person- and just enjoy the diversity around you.

Im having a hard time believing this person is for real lol
You are blue-collar,you dont deserve any better!lol
Suck it up and enjoy the Diversity!
Whats so Diverse about one group slowly taking over?
I think many Californians have had enough "Diversity"
 
Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Yeah, but the OP obviously can't afford a residence in "bland suburbia".

"I am sick of illegals taking work from my partner who is in construction and doing illegal renovations to houses for 10 cents on the dollar."


Sorry, but I hear this too often: blue-collar folk bitching and moaning as if they deserve to live like the middle or upper-class do, and are prevented from assuming their rightful position in "bland suburbia" by the dreaded, culture-raping "illegals".

Face it, sweetie, you're working-class. Your neighborhood isn't going to be as nice as the 'hoods of the middle-class, regardless of the ethnicity of your neighbors.
There's a reason people go to college.

Quit blaming others, go back to school, and become a professional... or else do like me- a happy working-class person- and just enjoy the diversity around you.

Your culture isn't being "raped", it's being enriched.
Open your mind and heart to the positive benefits of multiculturalism.
I feel that home prices should be more affordable. Also there are tons of bland suburban blue collar towns in which people make a substantial amount of money.

With that said, I feel that we should just realize that things are not nearly as bad as they seem. This was the original intent of the recent thread I started (and subsequently shut down).

Look, CA is not perfect, but it's far from the hell-hole protrayed in some of these posts.
 
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Suck it up and enjoy the Diversity!
Whats so Diverse about one group slowly taking over?
I think many Californians have had enough "Diversity"
Nothing wrong with "diversity" as such, except that taken to its truest meaning, it has to include EVERYTHING....the good, the bad, and the ugly; if it DIDN'T, it wouldn't be 'diverse'. In fact, if you're REALLY proclaiming yourself in total, 100% favor of diversity, about the only thing you WOULDN'T be able to accomodate would be 'homogeneity'. (Just as those who PROFESS to be totally in favor of 'tolerance' usually draw the line at including the intolerant).

My TRUE feeling toward diversity? I think we already pretty much tolerate the 80% of human culture which is worthwhile. The other 20%? I'm not too interested in THAT much diversity....and I really don't believe most other people are, either...it just 'sounds good' in an argument.

Total, 100%, across-the-board diversity is a 'cool' idea, when you're attending a street fair, or traveling, or going to Disneyland....or when you're 14 years old. No judgements, no 'rules', no right, no wrong, nobody telling anyone ELSE what to do....just diversity..whatever you say is good for YOU, is fine by me...it all sounds VERY liberal, VERY non-judgemental, and VERY laid back. Put to the 'test', though, in their own private lives, I doubt that most adults are QUITE that tolerant...and I suspect that many who SAY they are, do so knowing that they'll never be called upon to prove it.

Last edited by macmeal; 05-21-2009 at 03:53 PM..
 
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yeah it is comforting to know actually. The majority of drivers aren't drunk, do have insurance...

Just simply stating things happen, just be careful and move on.
Things certainly do happen. Lots of things, good and bad. If they didn't, this forum would not exist.....but "things happen" is a pretty weak argument. Do you have anything more substantial?

Just asking....
 
Old 05-21-2009, 04:11 PM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,051,757 times
Reputation: 14878
Let's see.

"I am so sick of seeing commercials in Spanish and receiving mail at my home that is only written in Spanish."

I feel your pain! I mean, god knows I would be sick of seeing Taco Belle adverts telling me that I can get a great deal on a burrito at the La Brea Ave store in Los Angeles.

"I am sick of going to grocery stores where the clerks don's speak English."

If you think that is bad think how much better it was in the 19th Century!

"I am sick of hearing Mariachi clown music blasted day and night with no regard to people who have to sleep."

Definitely, because we all know from a cultural standpoint, the Beach Boys were the original music of California!

"I am sick of trying to buy clothing and finding nothing but tacky, lime-green, stretchy hooker dresses with sequins and bullcrap sewn all over it."

Have you tried J.Crew, The Gap, or the Limited? I here that they have stores in California but I might be wrong.

"I am sick of people with pit bulls terrorizing the neighborhoods with their out-of-control dogs".

Yeah, if they would only go back to Chihuahuas instead of those Mexican Staforshire Terriers!

"I am sick of illegals taking work from my partner who is in construction and doing illegal renovations to houses for 10 cents on the dollar."

That markets rule stuff is pretty dumb!

"I am sick of seeing masses of illegals hovering around Home Depot holding up signs demanding $15 an hour to do illegal under the table work."

See above.

"I am sick of living in a state where I pay thousands of dollars in taxes to support people who do not work and keep having children and getting their rent for free."

Now I am confused:

"I am sick of illegals taking work from my partner who is in construction and doing illegal renovations to houses for 10 cents on the dollar."

"I am sick of seeing masses of illegals hovering around Home Depot holding up signs demanding $15 an hour to do illegal under the table work."

"I am sick of having to pay extra insurance because so many of the illegals on the road do not have a driver's license OR car insurance."
 
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again, you got me. What on EARTH must I have been thinking? I don't think I've EVER in my life met ANYONE who knows quite so much about quite so many subjects as you do. As usual, I stand corrected...MOST of California looks just like your photo....and those who live elsewhere do so because of colonialism, prejudice, and other 'outside forces'. Gotcha....

And now I have to go, dude...the surf's up, and I'm overdue for my facial. Have a totally awesome day, bro. (I THINK that's how we say that )...

Ciao.....
Well at least it's more substantial than this fine gem of an argument. Lots of words typed, not a whole lot conveyed.
 
Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I know something about California. I'm a fourth generation resident. My wife's family has been here somewhat longer, having walked across the Bering Strait from Asia sometime around 30,000 years ago.

California has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. It also has vast, festering barrios, grafitti-stewn ghettos, and tiny, isolated logging towns. It has miles of poor neighborhoods, and many, many pockets of rural squalor and 'trailer camps, (complete with cockfights and derelict cars) that would make Arkansas or Mississippi look like Switzerland by comparison. It also has MILES of middle-class tract housing that AREN'T part of a 'planned community'.

California ALSO has areas like your photo, above...and that's what those who watch TV get to see. But that is not what the MAJORITY of California is like...not even close. Most of it, in fact, is nearly uninhabited. California has many things, and MOST of it, in real life, isn't at ALL like your photo. That's simply not true.

If you're going to make broad-brush statements, prepare to back them up.
Or this fine piece which points to pockets of differences to denote that the majority of people do not live in newer suburban homes.

I got it the majority of CA is unihabited...but the OP was talking about where people live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top