U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:29 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I completely see what you are saying that it will make it easier if the whole world would speak English.
No one mentioned requiring or requesting that the whole world learn or speak English but that those who choose to live in the United States learn English.

Quote:
But, the reality is that in the US there is a large amount of people who do not speak English, let alone read it. Now, to use your same example, If the same area would have an earthquake today and the emergency exits, roads, and signs are only in English those people who can't read it will not know how to efficiently get out.
And it's whose responsibility to learn in learn the de-facto language of the country and to assimilate?

Quote:
I think this is part of the reason a lot of the traffic signals are universal, traffic lights are red/yellow/green most places I have been, the stop sign is an octagon, and the yield sign an inverted triangle. They are made this way so they are easy to identify, even if you don't know what the word means.

Now other signs do not have the same standard shape so I think it is wise to put the signs on multiple languages, specially if a large amount of people who speak a common language are expected to be in that area.
Shouldn't those who want to live and work in the US be required like everyone else in the US to learn English instead of having to translate for everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First off I work in an industry highly regulated by the govt. If you knew how much Federal tax money is being tossed at Illegal Immigrants it would blow your lid. We are forced to offer them phone service for free or near free and other discounted rates on services just because they "claim" are poor. In most cases they don't even have to show a valid driver's license or SS#. They get free phone plus other free services that the tax payers pick up. These are the majority of the people that are calling in demanding a Spanish speaker to fix their 'free' services. It absolutely blows my mind that this happens.

They aren't supposed to be here yet they sure know how to sponge up the free services via claiming to be a professional victim. We can't even verify the claim forms to see if the amount is correct on how much they make! It's pathetic how much fraud there is here.

My Company gets partial reimbursement by State and Federal coffers. There are two things wrong here, the free service and the fact that tax payers are paying for services for people that should be in another Country.
Well, if they could get a driver's license and a SSN or an equivalent then you would be able to verify their claims. Do you support giving them either one? This would help greatly towards reducing the fraud.

I don't think anyone should get these kinds of service save some really exceptional circumstances, I usually get worked up when these kinds of services are provided for free and my tax dollars are subsidizing them. Not just for illegal aliens but for anyone, why should anyone be getting handouts. Now, I do support organizations like Good Will, and programs that give vocational training, scholarships and fellowships.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Well, if they could get a driver's license and a SSN or an equivalent then you would be able to verify their claims. Do you support giving them either one? This would help greatly towards reducing the fraud.

I don't think anyone should get these kinds of service save some really exceptional circumstances, I usually get worked up when these kinds of services are provided for free and my tax dollars are subsidizing them. Not just for illegal aliens but for anyone, why should anyone be getting handouts. Now, I do support organizations like Good Will, and programs that give vocational training, scholarships and fellowships.
I do not support enabling illegal aliens-------------if anything; they need to be rounded up, have their assets seized then deported. If caught here again illegally.............time for lots of Tent Cities in North Dakota.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 PM

804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I do not support enabling illegal aliens-------------if anything; they need to be rounded up, have their assets seized then deported. If caught here again illegally.............time for lots of Tent Cities in North Dakota.
Then you see the fraud that is being committed at the company that you work, where people are getting benefits they do no qualify for because they don't have Driver's Licenses and SSN, yet when confronted with a compromise that address the loophole that is being exploited, you sacrifice it for an ideal solution that, at least in my opinion (especially the part of seizing their assets), it's not realistic.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Then you see the fraud that is being committed at the company that you work, where people are getting benefits they do no qualify for because they don't have Driver's Licenses and SSN, yet when confronted with a compromise that address the loophole that is being exploited, you sacrifice it for an ideal solution that, at least in my opinion (especially the part of seizing their assets), it's not realistic.
Face it: we are in the worst recession since the Great Depression------------it is high time for those illegal alien criminals to leave the USA.

If nothing else: hostility is growing against those insolent losers.

I know many a self described Liberal who have now taken a hard line against any sort of amnesty.

The illegal alien party is over; just that certain people do not know it--------------yet.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:

I support a work program for jobs that can't be filled by Americans. I don't support gaining status to the more than half a million people we let in every year, year after year.

I also think that if we have a work program they must have a sponsor to fine in case the worker skips out just like untold millions have on their Visa.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 PM

16,480 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Just pull plug on their Spanish TV stations for one night and you'll hear them rampaging in the streets, speaking perfect English for a change: I have no TV to watch, I'm going to die!

And the I won't be pronounced ee, the word have not pronouncd aw-vey, TV not pronounced tee-bee and die not prounounced dee-ay.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Just pull plug on their Spanish TV stations for one night and you'll hear them rampaging in the streets, speaking perfect English for a change: I have no TV to watch, I'm going to die!

And the I won't be pronounced ee, the word have not pronouncd aw-vey, TV not pronounced tee-bee and die not prounounced dee-ay.
ROFLMAO!

Although on a more serious note: it does bother me that virtually all the actors on Telemundo, etc. do not look stereotypically Mestizo (they are usually 'Anglo' White) since Mexico is so allegedly 'proud' of its ethnic roots.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM

16,480 posts, read 20,016,951 times
Take your life into your own hands sometime, and compliment a Mexican by saying: Your attractiveness must come from your Indian roots.

I tried that only once with a Mexican who rents a room from me. Nothing will get them angrier.

What a pity!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:

Do I support giving Illegal Aliens A Social number? No, I don't even want them in our Country if they are illegally here. If they aren't here they cannot defraud anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or