U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I assure you, they will leave. Are you afraid YOU will have to leave, along with many of your relatives and friends? If so, I am certain your vast expertise and your portfolio will follow you back home.
Nope, especially considering the fact that in about 7 months I will be able to became a U.S. citizen. And well my relatives have nothing to worry about. I do worry though about some of my friends having to go back.

Quote:
Your investments “bouncing back up” does not equate to 14+ million citizens finding jobs. If so, they would have already been rehired.
DELL - SharpCharts from StockCharts.com
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$INDU&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p72866676429
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SPX&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p72866676429

I do think the economy is recovering. An that the rehiring will come progressively.

Quote:

Visitor Visas Business and Pleasure

A piece of cake. Let’s examine these requirements.

It isn’t difficult to make hotel reservations (which you have no intentions of honoring), or have a friend or relative living in the U.S. vouch for your “pleasure” trip.

A simple affirmation of a 2-week trip would suffice.

If illegal aliens can pay coyotes $5,000 - $10,000 per trip, they can certainly produce those funds as evidence of their ability to “cover their expenses” during their visit.

Most illegal aliens have a residence, families, and other “compelling social or economic ties” they leave to come here. Why do you think they send billions back home?

Same as above; which obviously means squat, or we wouldn’t have so many visa overstays. See, it’s not that hard.
Blissful ignorance, I would like to see a few post of people who have gone through the process of getting a U.S. Tourist visa and tell US how easy it is. I know mine was rather hard and long.

Quote:
I am well aware of the fact that the IRS will issue an ITIN to illegal aliens for tax purposes. However, by no means are they considered “residents” of this country. According to the USCIS there are only three categories, and illegal aliens are not included.
For tax purposes a U.S. resident is someone who resides in the U.S.; I went to an IRS office before claiming my grandparents as dependents after I had them come stay with me for a little under a year and that is what the IRS officer told me.

Quote:

You feel justified in “looking down upon” those receiving government assistant. Does that include the millions of illegal aliens who cross our borders to give birth and receive WIC and welfare at the taxpayers’ expense? Does it include the millions of illegal alien children who attend our schools and receive a free breakfast and lunch, as well as ESL classes at the taxpayers’ expense? Does it include the millions of illegal aliens who are living in subsidized housing at the taxpayers’ expense? Does it include the millions of illegal aliens who receive medical treatment in our ERs at taxpayers’ expense? Does it include the millions of illegal alien criminals who are apprehended and receive a legal defense, and are incarcerated in our prisons at taxpayers’ expense?

Government assistance comes in many forms, all of which are benefiting illegal aliens and their exploited U.S.-born children. Do they receive your disdain, or is your condescension and contempt reserved for U.S. citizens?
It's even greater for illegal aliens and legal immigrants, I support removing most types of those service for everyone. I generally do tend to support social services that target children (WIC, public schools, CHIP) and programs that put people to work (Vocational training, scholarships, Salvation Army)

Quote:

Bending the law, while staying within the law? Now that’s a new one. I guess most illegal aliens consider themselves simply “bending the law.” If you are a “citizen” don’t you also “make the rules?” Shouldn’t it be “we make the rules” rather than “you guys make the rules?

7 Months left and the "you" would became a "we."

Quote:
You claim to have paid $20,000 in the last “few years." Well whoopty doo. Do the math, and you won’t feel so smug.

It’s been fun, but I’m through playing tit for tat. Gotta run.
[/quote]

It has been, but there are no new arguments coming up, so this has lost it's allure. And at the lack of good arguments, name-calling and baseless claims are being presented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Kellem:

Are you even living in the USA legally? That is a direct Y/N question
Yes

Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
This from the woman who thinks veterans are security risk and sent the memo to ploice depts; full of veterans. that tells you she is all about politcal profiling and nothing else. What does the economy have to do with her current job.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Yes
Since you hold the US and American citizens in such low esteem, what did you come here for?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Since you hold the US and American citizens in such low esteem, what did you come here for?
Maybe I have expressed myself incorrectly, but this statement is not true. I do not hold the U.S. or it's citizens in low esteem. I do however have little esteem for people who plan on living their lives with handouts and who do not want to improve themselves. And I think the vast majority of U.S. citizens do not fall on this category.

The personal reason I came here for is for the access to education. Back in my country there are no universities that offer Ph.D. programs in Engineering, some of them are just starting to offer them in Math. I guess I could have picked a different country but when I was growing up the literature that inspired me came from "MIT's Techreview" (even though now it's not what it used to be), "Scientific American", and in m last years there "Science", and "Nature". All of those publications and most of the people featured in them come from the U.S. so my goal was to come here.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Yes
Good.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Blissful ignorance, I would like to see a few post of people who have gone through the process of getting a U.S. Tourist visa and tell US how easy it is. I know mine was rather hard and long.
As I stated -- it’s REAL hard to enter this country on a visa. Of course, I’m sure you know more about this issue than the Department of Homeland Security.

I have no idea why someone from such a prominent family, and with so much to contribute, would have such difficulty convincing U.S. officials; while peasants have entered with relative ease. On the other hand, by your own admission, ‘truth’ is not exactly your forte.

Quote:
A DHS survey of 1,000 legal permanent residents (green card holders) revealed that 30 percent had previously been illegal and that 31 percent of that group had overstayed non-immigrant visas.3 These statistics drive home the point that huge numbers of foreign nationals are succeeding in convincing American consular officers that they are bona fide tourists, when in fact they are intending immigrants. Despite the importance of visas to our immigration problem, all of the major American presidential candidates still frame the illegal immigration crisis solely in the context of securing the border with Mexico, and no candidate has mentioned the need to tighten our visa regulations.

Despite that fact that the law is written broadly enough that most foreigners from the developing world could be refused for a visitor’s visa as “intending immigrants,” non-immigrant visa issuance rates are still shockingly high. In 2007, 74 percent of the more than five million foreign nationals who applied for visitor’s visas were approved. (See Table 1.) This figure is particularly startling when one considers that citizens from the world’s most prosperous countries — including most of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand — do not need visitor’s visas to enter the United States. Two-thirds of Mexican applicants were issued visitor’s (B1/B2) visas (or border crossing cards), four-fifths of Chinese applicants were issued visas, 88 percent of Russians were granted visas, and more than half of Haitian and Dominican applicants were successful.4 (See Table 2.) In this Backgrounder, the author, a former State Department official with experience interviewing tens of thousands of visa applicants from all over the world, explores some of the reasons why it remains relatively easy for all but the most destitute applicants to obtain non-immigrant visas, despite the public perception that visa regulations have tightened since 9/11.
No Coyote Needed: U.S. Visas Still an Easy Ticket in Developing Countries | Center for Immigration Studies

Last edited by Benicar; 05-22-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration