Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times

Advertisements

Perhaps our economic crisis is actually a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
As immigrants’ rights groups are pressing President Barack Obama to step up efforts at comprehensive reform this year, one prominent member of Obama’s cabinet is acknowledging that the economic downturn has made legalization of illegal immigrants tougher to sell to the American public.

“When unemployment is up, anything that looks like you’re taking jobs away from …people who are lawfully here—citizens of the United States—is going to meet a lot of resistance,” Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said during an exchange with reporters Tuesday morning.

Napolitano said the economic factors combined to put an additional hurdle in the path of immigration reform advocates. “In balancing those things, I think it makes it more difficult,” she said.
Janet Napolitano: Legalization a hard sell - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps our economic crisis is actually a blessing in disguise.
I have to (reluctantly) agree.

Perhaps Janet and Obama will actually get a clue.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM

804 posts, read 1,359,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I have to (reluctantly) agree.

Perhaps Janet and Obama will actually get a clue.

I take it you did not lost your job, your house, or you 401K. I don't think someone who lost all of the above would agree with either of you, that the crisis is a blessing.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I take it you did not lost your job, your house, or you 401K. I don't think someone who lost all of the above would agree with either of you, that the crisis is a blessing.
If it will result in ridding our country of illegal aliens, it is indeed a blessing. Perhaps then, citizens of this country won’t have to compete against illegals depressing wages, and legitimate businesses can remain open. Having 20+ million illegal aliens living in this country is certainly no blessing. The greed of these unscrupulous employers is a major factor in our current economic crisis.

BTW, yes, I have lost thousands.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If it will result in ridding our country of illegal aliens, it is indeed a blessing. Perhaps then, citizens of this country won’t have to compete against illegals depressing wages, and legitimate businesses can remain open. Having 20+ million illegal aliens living in this country is certainly no blessing. The greed of these unscrupulous employers is a major factor in our current economic crisis.

BTW, yes, I have lost thousands.
Benicar,

Did you lose your house or job? I lost over 30% of my portfolio, but it seems to be rapidly recovering and I would estimate that it will make a full recovery in a year or so. It's just money, numbers in my back account yet my lifestyle took more of a hit from starting grad school than from the crisis.

Now, had I lost my house and have nowhere to life, or my car and have no transportation, or my job and be unable to find another. Then I think my outlook would be different.

You say having 20+ million illegal aliens is not a blessing, and I agree with you, but if the crisis would not have happened and Legalization would had happened through the year, then you would have traded the 20+ million illegal aliens for 20+ million legal immigrants. Now I consider trading 20+ million illegal aliens for 20+ million legal immigrants a blessing.

But since Legalization is a harder sell, and illegal aliens are not going anywhere then we get to keep our 20+ million illegal aliens, not a blessing as you said.

So then, you lost your thousands of dollars from your investment accounts, I lost 30% of my portfolio, and lots of people lost much more, and our 20+ million illegal aliens remain illegal. I fail to see the blessing.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
It's been noted that an estimated million have already self deported. I see that as a GREAT thing.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's been noted that an estimated million have already self deported. I see that as a GREAT thing.
Link please. And what do you think will happen once the economy bounces back up?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Link please. And what do you think will happen once the economy bounces back up?
U.S. 'self-deporting' program for illegal immigrants set to go - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/capitolandcalifornia/story/1122286.html - broken link)

If we enforce our border, force E-verify and employer sanctions we won't have to deal with this mess again! I feel that the tide has turned on this immigration disaster.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
U.S. 'self-deporting' program for illegal immigrants set to go - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/capitolandcalifornia/story/1122286.html - broken link)

If we enforce our border, force E-verify and employer sanctions we won't have to deal with this mess again! I feel that the tide has turned on this immigration disaster.
There is nothing on that link regarding:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer
It's been noted that an estimated million have already self deported.
The only thing that it says is that some might have self-deported, with no number. And that the self-deportation program will likely target 500,000 people who have already been issue deportation orders. I fail to see how the article backs up the claim that an estimated million have already self deported.

And then goes to state that "The benefit is (in) not being detained". Given the fact that leaving is not really a problem. I don't see how is the status any different from before.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
There is nothing on that link regarding:

The only thing that it says is that some might have self-deported, with no number. And that the self-deportation program will likely target 500,000 people who have already been issue deportation orders. I fail to see how the article backs up the claim that an estimated million have already self deported.

And then goes to state that "The benefit is (in) not being detained". Given the fact that leaving is not really a problem. I don't see how is the status any different from before.
The report, called "Homeward Bound," said an analysis of U.S. census data suggests "the likely illegal immigrant population" may have dropped by 11 percent, or 1 million people, between August 2007 and May 2008.

Um, yes it does (you asked for a link, please read it) but here is another.
Dallas is My Home » Blog Archive » Illegal Immigrants Returning to Mexico in Record Numbers
All you have to do is google 'illegal immigration down 11 percent' and you'll get 50 topics on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration