Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Uhh...they are when they're brought here....as little babies... feeling that itch on your head?
In which case their parents can take them back home.

Illegals have the choice of breaking our laws or abiding by them. If your parents encourage you to shoplift, that doesn't make it okay for you to shoplift.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:53 PM

223 posts, read 300,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In which case their parents can take them back home.

Illegals have the choice of breaking our laws or abiding by them. If your parents encourage you to shoplift, that doesn't make it okay for you to shoplift.
Now, that's not a very good metaphor for a kid being brought to this country as small child, and growing up only knowing this country, now is it? Back to the drawing board?

Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Why do you keep insisting Mexico is my country? I'm seriously starting to question your ability to read. Also your problem-solving skills, because you can't get the past the fact that I'm an American like you(assuming you are an American).
Hypocrite has an e at the end of it. And there's no hypocrisy involved. I can demand whatever I want out of MY country, the United States.
Can you state unequivocally that if we had millions of Africans living illegally in this country creating the identical problems we now have due to massive Hispanic illegal immigration, you would still defend their ‘right’ to be here? Would you be equally as passionate in your support of them? Please search your heart.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Uhh...they are when they're brought here....as little babies... feeling that itch on your head?
Are you suggesting that ALL illegal aliens entered this country as babies? Never mind, I see that you are only referring to those who came here as babies.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Now, that's not a very good metaphor for a kid being brought to this country as small child, and growing up only knowing this country, now is it? Back to the drawing board?
As far as children from Mexico, going home isn't going to be the end of the world. They can return to their own country with their parents. What kind of parents wouldn't want to bring their children home with them when they go? There is no good reason to separate families, deport the parents and their children go home with them.

Certainly most Americans travelling illegally to Mexico with young children would not opt to abandon their children there when they are returned to the USA.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Can you state unequivocally that if we had millions of Africans living illegally in this country creating the identical problems we now have due to massive Hispanic illegal immigration, you would still defend their ‘right’ to be here? Would you be equally as passionate in your support of them? Please search your heart.
Who knows? Maybe I wouldn't be able to see them as people without a connection, much like many people who aren't Hispanic have a hard time seeing the current batch of illegals as people.
The language is foreign, the people don't look like them, the culture is foreign and scary.
I can definitely relate to the current batch.
Do I see myself going into alleging moral corruption, feeling disgust, fear, panic, and resentment toward Africans living here illegally? I would like to think I wouldn't. I have critical thinking skills. Some people get caught up in hysteria, some people don't. I don't find myself terrified of Arabs in Muslims after 9/11. Some people do.
It's a helluva thing to ask, because how much can we speak about that, if it's not the situation?

I do know there are plenty of Whites, Blacks, and Asians that are "equally as passionate" as I am on this current issue. It's not limited to "treasonous Hispanics). I would like to think if the "illegals" coming and beings scapegoated were of a different race, I would be like those people who care regardless of whether or not I share background with them.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that ALL illegal aliens entered this country as babies? Never mind, I see that you are only referring to those who came here as babies.
What the pro-illegals want is that if an illegal smuggles over an infant that since the infant had no choice, it must be allowed to stay here and of course the parents, grandparents, all siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and the rest of the family stay too.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Who knows? Maybe I wouldn't be able to see them as people without a connection, much like many people who aren't Hispanic have a hard time seeing the current batch of illegals as people.
The language is foreign, the people don't look like them, the culture is foreign and scary.
Do I see myself going into alleging moral corruption, feeling disgust, fear, panic, and resentment toward Africans living here illegally? I would like to think I wouldn't. I have critical thinking skills. Some people get caught up in hysteria, some people don't. I don't find myself terrified of Arabs in Muslims after 9/11. Some people do.
It's a helluva thing to ask, because how much can we speak about that, if it's not the situation?

I do know there are plenty of Whites, Blacks, and Asians that are "equally as passionate" as I am on this current issue. It's not limited to "treasonous Hispanics). I would like to think if the "illegals" coming and beings scapegoated were of a different race, I would be like those people who care regardless of whether or not I share background with them.
You are not at all practical. The USA simply cannot take in the entire world's population. There should be some immigration but immigration must be orderly, fair, and so legal.

The border free-for-all hurts both Americans and legal immigrants alike. You want no limitation on how many boat loads of ultra cheap workers some greedy employer might like to bring in. Or maybe you really believe that we can bring in all the impoverished throughout all of Asia, Africa, Europe and South America that might like to come and live off welfare here. It's totally unfeasible what you propose.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I don’t know where you got the impression that we don’t consider illegal aliens to be “people.” What the heck are they if they aren’t people? Drug dealers are also people, but that doesn’t absolve them of their crimes.

I personally believe this is primarily an issue of ethnic solidarity for you and many Hispanics. I can’t relate to that, because I don’t feel any sense of solidarity with black criminals. The only thing we have in common is race. I’m sorry, but that isn’t a good enough reason for me to support them.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I don’t know where you got the impression that we don’t consider illegal aliens to be “people.” What the heck are they if they aren’t people? Drug dealers are also people, but that doesn’t absolve them of their crimes.

I personally believe this is primarily an issue of ethnic solidarity for you and many Hispanics. I can’t relate to that, because I don’t feel any sense of solidarity with black criminals. The only thing we have in common is race. I’m sorry, but that isn’t a good enough reason for me to support them.
See, you would be making a point, if the only people supporting immigration reform were all Hispanic. But that is simply not the case. What explanation to have you for all the American born Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Asians, etc who are just as passionate about immigration reform? Would you be so sure of yourself(based on people's race/ethnicity), that this is nothing more than "an issue of ethnic solidarity"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.