Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

SHENANDOAH — Nine speakers have been confirmed for a May 30 rally opposing illegal immigration, the organizer said, including representatives from an anti-illegal immigration group made up of Hispanic-Americans.

“They realize what the consequences are as far as (illegal immigrants) coming over here and committing crimes,” rally organizer Joe Miller, Shenandoah, said of members of the group You Don’t Speak For Me.

At 5 p.m. May 30 in Bicentennial Park, Shenandoah, speakers from several organizations will discuss illegal immigration. Miller said the event would be similar to two previous rallies he organized last summer and fall.

Already confirmed to speak in addition to himself, Miller said, are: Marianne Davies and Al Rodriguez of You Don’t Speak For Me; Robin Horton, a Camp Hill woman involved in a legal dispute with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement; Dan Amato of Diggers Realm, a Web site that covers illegal immigration and immigration reform; Ruth Miller of Illegal Protest, a Web site for “American citizens who are tired of the illegal alien invasion”; Wendi Medashefski, vice president of Pennsylvania Americans for Legal Immigration, a group Joe Miller formred a few weeks ago, Jeff McGeary of United Patriots of America; and political activist Tom Lingenfelter.

Hispanic-Americans set to speak at anti-illegal immigration rally | republicanherald.com | The Republican-Herald (http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2009/05/22/news/local_news/pr_republican.20090522.a.pg1.pr22demonstration_s1. 2546376_top4.txt - broken link)

At last . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:43 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Hooray for them.

I only wish that You Don't Speak for Me had more members and media publicity.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Hooray for them.

I only wish that You Don't Speak for Me had more members and media publicity.
As you stated: that variety of 'Hispanic' has my support!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
According to Marianne Davies of You Don’t Speak for Me — an anti-illegal immigration group consisting of Hispanic-Americans — representatives for her group have not yet confirmed any appearance at a May 30 rally in Shenandoah.

In a telephone interview Friday night, Davies said she had been in contact with the anti-illegal immigration rally’s organizer, Joe Miller, Shenandoah, but had not made any firm commitment to speak.

Davies said the group had not ruled out appearances, but had not yet confirmed any
Anti-illegal immigration group says no speeches confirmed for Shen rally | republicanherald.com | The Republican-Herald (http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2009/05/23/news/local_news/pr_republican.20090523.a.pg1.pr23rally_s1.2550447_ loc.txt - broken link)

Why so quick to jump the gun miller?

Old 05-23-2009, 04:17 PM

223 posts, read 300,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Anti-illegal immigration group says no speeches confirmed for Shen rally | republicanherald.com | The Republican-Herald (http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2009/05/23/news/local_news/pr_republican.20090523.a.pg1.pr23rally_s1.2550447_ loc.txt - broken link)

Why so quick to jump the gun miller?
That whole "You don't speak for me" is a stupid publicity stunt.
Of course there are going to be Hispanics on either side of the issue. Just like there are Whites, Blacks, Asians, Native Americans on either side of the issue.
It's sad when a bunch of Hispanics have to feel so insecure about their ethnicity, that they feel compelled to make a group like this.

And it's funny how people who otherwise go on and on about how bad Hispanics and their cultures are, will turn around and pat these people on the head.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Of course there are going to be Hispanics on either side of the issue. Just like there are Whites, Blacks, Asians, Native Americans on either side of the issue.
It's sad when a bunch of Hispanics have to feel so insecure about their ethnicity, that they feel compelled to make a group like this.

And it's funny how people who otherwise go on and on about how bad Hispanics and their cultures are, will turn around and pat these people on the head.
Hispanics have every right to disassociate themselves from the 'cause' of illegal immigration, as long as those who SUPPORT that cause insist they speak for 'la raza'. That's the whole issue.."I speak for TODO la RAZA", says one side.."no, you DON'T", says the other.

This is not an issue of Hispanics, or any other group..it' simply a fact of human interaction. If you're going to make a public 'stand' on anything, you'd better not use my name without consulting me...because if you DO so, and your 'cause' is one I disagree with, I'm going to publically deny you.
And that's true regardless of WHO you are, or who I am....that's human nature.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:

While it is unfortunate that only a small population of Americans of hispanic descent will publicly choose loyalty to their country over their race/ethnicity, nobody is patting them on the head. We are simply applauding them for having the courage to do the right thing by putting America first. I don't support Jesse or Al or any other race baiters for that matter. But then again, I'm not a racist. I have no problem calling "a spade a spade".

What's funny is you and your buddy sound bitter because they aren't putting their race before their country.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

But, I thought this isn't about ethnicity. I thought Hispanics who support illegal immigration do so for 'other' reasons. So, if you can support illegal immigration for non-ethnic reasons, why must ethnicity be mentioned when Hispanics oppose illegal immigration? Why must they be “insecure about their ethnicity?” You can’t have it both ways. Either ethnicity is irrelevant, or it’s a factor. Which is it?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
But, I thought this isn't about ethnicity. I thought Hispanics who support illegal immigration do so for 'other' reasons. So, if you can support illegal immigration for non-ethnic reasons, why must ethnicity be mentioned when Hispanics oppose illegal immigration? Why must they be “insecure about their ethnicity?” You can’t have it both ways. Either ethnicity is irrelevant, or it’s a factor. Which is it?
Now, now Benicar, do you really have to ask?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:

The steadily growing deep resentment in this country for hispanics, any hispanics, legal or otherwise, is because of the growing perception that illegal hispanics are ruining this country and that legal hispanics aid and abet illegals. The general perception is that legal hispanics are helping their illegal relatives or that there is not a single legal hispanic in this country that doesn't know where there are at least one or two illegals but they would never turn them in.

In the face of hardly ever hearing a legal hispanic come out against illegal immigration, it's high time for some high profile hispanic groups to come out against illegal immigration to at least show that not all hispanics aid and abet illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration