U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
There is a 10 year penalty for people who has been in the U.S. illegally before they can apply for re-entry.
That's certainly fair. In fact that's the exact same length of time that Mexico bars someone from reentry if they find you there illegally. Most countries do have some sort of restriction on reentry if you did such a thing.

I said that those who haven't been caught committing some crime have nothing stopping them from going back home and starting over the right way. That shouldn't apply to those who have been caught committing a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,193 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
The penalty is for staying here illegally for over 6months ( or a year?) with diminished penalties for shorter periods of stay. This is if you overstay your visa, cross the border, or swim around it.

The highlighted area would be suggesting to lie on your immigration interview and papers, when they ask you if you have been in the U.S. I have actually known this to happen, not quite how you say it, but some people sending back their passports so they get the re-entry stamp to their country while in the U.S. Since they have that stamp, they can prove ( with fake stamps ) that they left when supposed to.

That is what I am trying to say. They came here under the radar and broke the law, why in gods name would they tell the immigration office, "hey I came here illegally before and went back, but now I want to do it the legal way." Of course that would not happen. They where shady to start with. They would simply say, of course I have never been in the U.S. illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:24 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
There is a 10 year penalty for people who has been in the U.S. illegally before they can apply for re-entry.
I checked around for you -- a fine and ban on future re-entry isn't at all rare:

Fragomen - Peru: Business Immigration Summary (http://pubweb.fdbl.com/ihp8/global/media85.nsf/public-country-briefs/peru?opendocument - broken link)

Employees who infringe Peruvian immigration law may incur civil fines, removal, and/or future inadmissibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Peru has some pretty decent looking immigration laws. I think we should consider adopting theirs or else Mexico's as our own.

Not many nations have a total immigration free-for-all. It's time we learned to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Peru has some pretty decent looking immigration laws. I think we should consider adopting theirs or else Mexico's as our own.

Not many nations have a total immigration free-for-all. It's time we learned to do the same.
It's true....we "should" be able to do this....and other countries "shouldn't" be able to criticize us for doing what they themselves do; that is, insisting upon their sovereignty, and putting the rights of their own citizens above the "rights" of foreigners. Again, I repeat, that's how it "should" be.

Unfortunately, in the real world, there's such a thing as "societal guilt". MOST nations and societies do NOT experience it; the USA, and a few other affluent, secular, Western societies DO; and the whole world senses this, and acts accordingly.

"Western guilt"...(or 'post-Protestant guilt'...or 'white guilt'....or 'affluent guilt'...or 'colonial guilt') is a powerful motivator of action in those societies that have it. It causes them to hold themselves to a higher standard than it hold others to; in fact, at times it approaches the level of condescension and 'soft racism'. Why should WE 'act nobly' and accomodate illegals? "Because we CAN, and we SHOULD, because we're BETTER than others". Why are MOST nations EXEMPT from this? "Because that's just the way they are, and they can't HELP it; their societies are unfair, they don't tolerate multiculturalism well, and they just don't KNOW any better". If this isn't overt racism, it's certainly, at least, condescension.

With that kind of scenario, (common today, including among many members of this forum), you're NEVER going to hear a coherent reason as to why "we" should treat people differently than "they" treat others.....and you're usually never going to hear of anything "bad" happening to any society that's "their fault". It's always the result of 'outside forces'. The only "fault" today is with the affluent West. Interesting position, I suppose; but leaves no room for discussion..by definition, when most of the "bad" in the world is either DONE by "us", or by "us" causing OTHERS to do it, there's no way to compare ANY thing with anything else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,193 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's true....we "should" be able to do this....and other countries "shouldn't" be able to criticize us for doing what they themselves do; that is, insisting upon their sovereignty, and putting the rights of their own citizens above the "rights" of foreigners. Again, I repeat, that's how it "should" be.

Unfortunately, in the real world, there's such a thing as "societal guilt". MOST nations and societies do NOT experience it; the USA, and a few other affluent, secular, Western societies DO; and the whole world senses this, and acts accordingly.

"Western guilt"...(or 'post-Protestant guilt'...or 'white guilt'....or 'affluent guilt'...or 'colonial guilt') is a powerful motivator of action in those societies that have it. It causes them to hold themselves to a higher standard than it hold others to; in fact, at times it approaches the level of condescension and 'soft racism'. Why should WE 'act nobly' and accomodate illegals? "Because we CAN, and we SHOULD, because we're BETTER than others". Why are MOST nations EXEMPT from this? "Because that's just the way they are, and they can't HELP it; their societies are unfair, they don't tolerate multiculturalism well, and they just don't KNOW any better". If this isn't overt racism, it's certainly, at least, condescension.

With that kind of scenario, (common today, including among many members of this forum), you're NEVER going to hear a coherent reason as to why "we" should treat people differently than "they" treat others.....and you're usually never going to hear of anything "bad" happening to any society that's "their fault". It's always the result of 'outside forces'. The only "fault" today is with the affluent West. Interesting position, I suppose; but leaves no room for discussion..by definition, when most of the "bad" in the world is either DONE by "us", or by "us" causing OTHERS to do it, there's no way to compare ANY thing with anything else...
I will quote this piece again and again and again. Bravo.

PLUS i got to make your rep 2009! Woohoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2009, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Peru has some pretty decent looking immigration laws. I think we should consider adopting theirs or else Mexico's as our own.

Not many nations have a total immigration free-for-all. It's time we learned to do the same.
I have never checked immigrations laws from Peru or Mexico, I'm sure there are not free-for-all, I'm not even sure what is required to work, since I never did there.

I like the immigration rules of the countries in the European Union and I think from Canada, where different accomplishments, like having certain degrees, years of experience, multiple language proficiencies, and age, give you points and if you have enough points you can apply for immigration. So you know if you put some effort into it and get a degree or learn a new language, you can reach the points needed to emigrate to that country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top