U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support amnesty for illegal aliens?
Yes, let's roll out the red carpet 18 16.82%
No, get them back to Mexico ASAP! 89 83.18%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM

22 posts, read 10,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
You attempted to act like there is ANY valid comparison between Mexican and Irish illegal immigration. The Irish illegal immigrants on the upper east coast don't have the ability to turn this country on its head and help BANKRUPT!!! an entire state! California anyone?

Your "point" or lack of falls on its face.
Of course there is no comparison. The illegal Mexicans far outnumber any other group of illegals in this country and thus will affect the country more profoundly than others, and anyone with a brain can see that. I'm simply reminding everyone that not all illegals in this country come from Mexico. You still have a good percentage of those that are non-Mexican and at some point Americans will need to deal with those people as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mexican last name? There is no such thing unless discussing possibly indigenous Aztec, etc. ones.
OK fine you got me. Spanish/Hispanic last name then.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:29 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,745,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Give them a work visa and tax their income heavily.

They will always find a way to work under the table for cash so they will not have to pay taxes and there are plenty of employers (many of the same ethnic background) that will hire them under the table so they do not have to pay for workman's comp, ss, insurance or any other wmployee related expenses. Given that, all illegal immigrants just need to be deported!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 PM

85 posts, read 121,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed View Post
Of course there is no comparison. The illegal Mexicans far outnumber any other group of illegals in this country and thus will affect the country more profoundly than others, and anyone with a brain can see that. I'm simply reminding everyone that not all illegals in this country come from Mexico. You still have a good percentage of those that are non-Mexican and at some point Americans will need to deal with those people as well.
ALL illegals need to go home, no matter where they are from! This is not a discussion about Mexican illegals, although they are the highest number, but all illegal immigration. Period.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 AM

709 posts, read 1,544,051 times
Quote:
And every person I've ever met with a Mexican last name is an American citizen so your point being.... what exactly?? You're still going to have illegal Mexicans and illegal Irish.
I have met plenty of people with Spanish last names that are not American citizens. The hs and ms that I went to alone was full of them because 99% of the students who took ESL classes in the middle school and high school I went to were Hispanic. You do not need to take ESL classes in K-12 grade school if you were born in the United States.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I have met plenty of people with Spanish last names that are not American citizens. The hs and ms that I went to alone was full of them because 99% of the students who took ESL classes in the middle school and high school I went to were Hispanic. You do not need to take ESL classes in K-12 grade school if you were born in the United States.
Well, that's not ENTIRELY true.... Here let me explain.

I live in San Diego which has a pretty sizable Hispanic population. Some of the Hispanic kids born here live in households where Spanish is spoken for the most part. So from the time they enter school they're essentially trying to deal with learning two languages at once. When I was in elementary school many of the Hispanics spoke English, but still the school felt that some of them required extra help so that they could be on same level as the rest of the kids. Basically so that they could "catch up". So your last statement, "You do not need to take ESL classes in K-12 grade school if you were born in the United States." is not entirely true.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Well, that's not ENTIRELY true.... Here let me explain.

I live in San Diego which has a pretty sizable Hispanic population. Some of the Hispanic kids born here live in households where Spanish is spoken for the most part. So from the time they enter school they're essentially trying to deal with learning two languages at once. When I was in elementary school many of the Hispanics spoke English, but still the school felt that some of them required extra help so that they could be on same level as the rest of the kids. Basically so that they could "catch up". So your last statement, "You do not need to take ESL classes in K-12 grade school if you were born in the United States." is not entirely true.
Since the legal immigrants' children from Italy, Japan, Hungary, Germany, etc. all had to learn in schools that taught English only---------why in the hell should the USA kowtow to Hispanics with this ESL nonsense?

Assimilate or leave.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since the legal immigrants' children from Italy, Japan, Hungary, Germany, etc. all had to learn in schools that taught English only---------why in the hell should the USA kowtow to Hispanics with this ESL nonsense?

Assimilate or leave.
Well the way I see is we either do our best to help these children who are here to stay learn English, or we deprive them of that extra help and let them go out into our society without the proper language skills. I pick the first option

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Well the way I see is we either do our best to help these children who are here to stay learn English, or we deprive them of that extra help and let them go out into our society without the proper language skills. I pick the first option
Refer to my post that you quoted. If Italians, etc. are smart enough to learn English without ESL-----------are you inplying that Hispanics are too stupid to do the same?

Too; so damn many US born Latino chidren tend to have a strong Spanish accent whereas Vietnamese, etc. kids brought here before age 12 typically speak standard English by age 21. I blame a lot of that on ESL for the Hispanics not speaking unaccented English.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM

2,256 posts, read 5,917,609 times
A big hell NO. Look how many tax dollars go toward catering every need of illegal immigrants. Look at how much crime we have from illegals. Look at how its all slowly destroying America from within as we cater to every demand and need of them even more than our own citizens. US citizens have rights here. People with legal green cards and visas and other forms of documentation have rights here. Illegals should not have any rights here. I am all for immigrants coming into this country legally and becoming a citizen which REQUIRES them to speak and read ENGLISH. I am so sick of the dual language needed everywhere now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or