U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM

549 posts, read 1,503,228 times

Advertisements

This thread has nothing to do with the legal immigration sub-forum. Why didn`t you post it on the "Great Debates" sub-forum??

This thread is rude towards 2nd and 3rd generation U.S. Nationals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 PM

470 posts, read 509,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
This thread has nothing to do with the legal immigration sub-forum. Why didn`t you post it on the "Great Debates" sub-forum??

?????? I did not mean any malice toward legal immigrants. I myself am a 3rd gen immigrant from Italy(dad's side), my moms family has been here since the beginning I believe.

Again I am sorry for offending anyone.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
By returning to the racist standards of the immigration act of 1924? Do you really want to bar immigration from China, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan in favor of unlimited immigration from Latin America?
Replacing a racist bad 1924 law with an even more racist and worse 1965 law isn't the way to go about it.

Family chain migration is extremely unfair and racist. It allows people to bring in elderly, infirm, mentally ill, lazy and whatever else just because of some family tie and meanwhile excellent types of would be immigrants cannot come.

We need to end family chain migration. Base quotas on unemployment and welfare rates. We don't need immigrants when there are Americans who could receive scholarships and be offered an education or job training who need to work.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:47 PM

470 posts, read 509,502 times
awesome...

Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,708,006 times
Quote:

ROFLMAO-------------that coming from a first generation US born individual (myself) whose dad was a legal immigrant here.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,708,006 times
Quote:
By returning to the racist standards of the immigration act of 1924? Do you really want to bar immigration from China, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan in favor of unlimited immigration from Latin America?

Wow.

No. I think this is a horrible idea.

The OP was referring to the pre 1965 immigration laws-------------remember that the Draconian rules applying to Asians and a few others were removed ca. 1953.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,534,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Ok ok so im NOT the only one. Thank goodness.
You definitely are not the only one. Nearly all my friends believe this, but express it in different words. This is yet another topic that is not politically correct to discuss.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 AM

11 posts, read 37,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
This 1965 bill should have never been passed in the first place. I'm of the opinion that there is a concerted effort by certain people/organizations to dismantle the greatness of the United States. It all seems to be coming together now and in the next few years.

Exactly.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Wow.

No. I think this is a horrible idea.

Please explain how. Do you want to amend the laws so that children born in the United States are no longer automatically citizens? Or do you propose to legislate common sense and judicial review out of the deportation process?

Neither of these options sound like good ideas to me. Perhaps you have a different plan that is more workable?

So at what generation would immigrant's descendants be able to participate in social welfare programs? 2nd? 3rd? 20th? Would you suggest that a naturalized US citizen not be able to participate in social security, medicare, etc?

This seems like a singularily insane idea, as immigrants make up a significant portion of the youthful working population who's taxes contribute to and support these programs. Cutting out this base of support makes no sense at all.

Again, another bad idea which I disagree with.

Since public schooling is how we train the workers, leaders, and thinkers of the future, I see an increase in public school enrollment as a positive indicator of our ability to expand economically and support our Capitalist system.

Would you argue that educated workforce is not worth the cost of education? You might find some agreement in the Taliban-held areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan or amongst the (former) Tamil Tigers, but not here with me, I'm afraid.

I strongly disagree. I live and work closely with both native-born and immigrant citizens and permanent residents. I find that my life both at work and in the neighborhoods where I resided was greatly enriched by the liberal nature of our immigration policies.

I agree that the immigration system should be amended to reduce the amount of family-based immigration and favor immigration by skilled workers. A good place to start would be to stop sending US-educated foreigners home to compete with our own industries and workers from overseas. Any immigrant who can find work and wishes to remain in the United States after completing a 4-year degree at an accredited technical university should be awarded an automatic Permanent Residency (Green Card)

The US is being conquered by the third world. Have you noticed? Your policies enables it.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:

What is rude is showing up to someone's house without notifying the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or