U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM

470 posts, read 508,048 times

Advertisements

What do you think? It would;

-end Chain Migration
-reinstate national quotas
-give greater preference to skilled, educated, and more affluent potential immigrants than our current batch.

Also it may be nice to end the use of anchor babies. To go even further we could end most social welfare programs from being available to immigrants.

Since the Acts was passed in 1965 immigration has soared from 2.5 million to 10 million plus in 1990. Also immigration has accounted or nearly ALL of the increase in public school enrollment over the past 2 decades. That cost us more and more everyday. Not just financially either. Mass immigration incurs MANY soft costs.

Our current immigration system has proved to be a failure to its native citizens, and in light of the current economics woes wouldn't it make more sense to repel the Act of 1965? Start allowing people with specialized skills to come here and have preference over the less skilled? To help build our educated and skilled workforce instead of building our welfare base?

It makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
I agree mostly. If not a repeal, a good deal of amendment needs to take place.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 37,602 times
I am a legal immigrant from before the immigration and naturalization act of 1965. And it is ridiculous what the 1965 act has done to the people who were here long before and were born and raised here. What a joke mass immigration has been to the native population. When my family came here in 1964, we came alone (not with 11 million people from our country) and my parents taught us to assimilate, not to speak our mother tounge in public and to participate and cooperate with those who were here before us. And we assimilated. Shoot, if my name was Mary, one would never know I came from another country because we assimilated so well. Now, the newcomers are also dominating the natives. How in the world? Who is behind all of this? I guess follow the money and our crooked politicians.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzy View Post
I am a legal immigrant from before the immigration and naturalization act of 1965. And it is ridiculous what the 1965 act has done to the people who were here long before and were born and raised here. What a joke mass immigration has been to the native population. When my family came here in 1964, we came alone (not with 11 million people from our country) and my parents taught us to assimilate, not to speak our mother tounge in public and to participate and cooperate with those who were here before us. And we assimilated. Shoot, if my name was Mary, one would never know I came from another country because we assimilated so well. Now, the newcomers are also dominating the natives. How in the world? Who is behind all of this? I guess follow the money and our crooked politicians.
My father immigrated here legally from Hungary in 1951; he did the sponsor thing, etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post

-end Chain Migration
-give greater preference to skilled, educated, and more affluent potential immigrants than our current batch.

Also it may be nice to end the use of anchor babies. To go even further we could end most social welfare programs from being available to immigrants.

Since the Acts was passed in 1965 immigration has soared from 2.5 million to 10 million plus in 1990. Also immigration has accounted or nearly ALL of the increase in public school enrollment over the past 2 decades. That cost us more and more everyday. Not just financially either. Mass immigration incurs MANY soft costs.

Our current immigration system has proved to be a failure to its native citizens, and in light of the current economics woes wouldn't it make more sense to repel the Act of 1965? Start allowing people with specialized skills to come here and have preference over the less skilled? To help build our educated and skilled workforce instead of building our welfare base?

It makes sense to me.
As you stated.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
Default What immigration laws?

The problem is that the congress does not represent Americans. They serve whatever lobby gives them the most money.

The current immigration laws are not being enforced because congress and the president do not want the laws enforced. They say the system is broken and this is false. Congress is broken by the corruption from lobbies and special interest groups such as the extreme racist group LaRaza. LaRaza receives federal funds, this is like the KKK receiving fed support.

We must fight the amnesty they are going to try to pass. We must let them know we will kick them out if they vote for it. This amnesty will destroy our country and turn it into a third world ****hole like mexico. We are bankrupt and cannot afford to support 60 million third world immigrants that this amnesty will bring into our country. Illegals need to go back home and build up their own countries.

We must fight congress or we will lose freedom forever.

We must not allow another amnesty, ever!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,521,272 times
This 1965 bill should have never been passed in the first place. I'm of the opinion that there is a concerted effort by certain people/organizations to dismantle the greatness of the United States. It all seems to be coming together now and in the next few years.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
This 1965 bill should have never been passed in the first place. I'm of the opinion that there is a concerted effort by certain people/organizations to dismantle the greatness of the United States. It all seems to be coming together now and in the next few years.

Ok ok so im NOT the only one. Thank goodness.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,686,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post

-end Chain Migration
By returning to the racist standards of the immigration act of 1924? Do you really want to bar immigration from China, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan in favor of unlimited immigration from Latin America?

Wow.

No. I think this is a horrible idea.

Quote:
Also it may be nice to end the use of anchor babies.
Please explain how. Do you want to amend the laws so that children born in the United States are no longer automatically citizens? Or do you propose to legislate common sense and judicial review out of the deportation process?

Neither of these options sound like good ideas to me. Perhaps you have a different plan that is more workable?

Quote:
To go even further we could end most social welfare programs from being available to immigrants.
So at what generation would immigrant's descendants be able to participate in social welfare programs? 2nd? 3rd? 20th? Would you suggest that a naturalized US citizen not be able to participate in social security, medicare, etc?

This seems like a singularily insane idea, as immigrants make up a significant portion of the youthful working population who's taxes contribute to and support these programs. Cutting out this base of support makes no sense at all.

Again, another bad idea which I disagree with.

Quote:
Since public schooling is how we train the workers, leaders, and thinkers of the future, I see an increase in public school enrollment as a positive indicator of our ability to expand economically and support our Capitalist system.

Would you argue that educated workforce is not worth the cost of education? You might find some agreement in the Taliban-held areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan or amongst the (former) Tamil Tigers, but not here with me, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Our current immigration system has proved to be a failure to its native citizens, and in light of the current economics woes wouldn't it make more sense to repel the Act of 1965?
I strongly disagree. I live and work closely with both native-born and immigrant citizens and permanent residents. I find that my life both at work and in the neighborhoods where I resided was greatly enriched by the liberal nature of our immigration policies.

Quote:
Start allowing people with specialized skills to come here and have preference over the less skilled? To help build our educated and skilled workforce instead of building our welfare base?

It makes sense to me.
I agree that the immigration system should be amended to reduce the amount of family-based immigration and favor immigration by skilled workers. A good place to start would be to stop sending US-educated foreigners home to compete with our own industries and workers from overseas. Any immigrant who can find work and wishes to remain in the United States after completing a 4-year degree at an accredited technical university should be awarded an automatic Permanent Residency (Green Card)

Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
By returning to the racist standards of the immigration act of 1924? Do you really want to bar immigration from China, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan in favor of unlimited immigration from Latin America?

Wow.

No. I think this is a horrible idea.
I knew not TOTALLY listing what should be changed would bite me in the a$$. You are correct in stating that a total repeal to those standard would reinstate a block on immigration from Asian nations. Of course that would have to be changed. They are among some of the brightest scientist and mathematicians. I WANT them here. I posted this thread a little quickly and left out a few points. Thank you for your knowledge on this.

The main reason that they even had this act was because congress felt that the old immigration policy favored Europeans over third world nations. It also was the act that introduced chain migration or family based immigration. It radically changed immigration. The emphasis on the preservation of American society and the consent of the governed; after the 1965 act the aliens themselves would decide who comes to the U.S. through family reunification.

I think we NEED annual national quotas for EVERY nation on this earth. We can not allow ourselves to be a free-for-all. We NEED to be picky and only take the BEST. We have enough poor, broken, and needy of our own.

My MAIN reason to state this is that when the Immigration act of 65' was instated in started a mass immigration wave. That we can not and should not have to maintain.

Quote:
Please explain how. Do you want to amend the laws so that children born in the United States are no longer automatically citizens? Or do you propose to legislate common sense and judicial review out of the deportation process?

Neither of these options sound like good ideas to me. Perhaps you have a different plan that is more workable?
Children born to native or legal immigrants would certainly be automatic citizens. The abuse of the fact, that when an illegal immigrant comes here and has a child, that baby is AUTOMATICALLY a citizen, and thus an anchor for the mother. They are then eligible for welfare, medical, and many other services. We promote the abuse of our laws by allowing this.

Quote:
So at what generation would immigrant's descendants be able to participate in social welfare programs? 2nd? 3rd? 20th? Would you suggest that a naturalized US citizen not be able to participate in social security, medicare, etc?

This seems like a singularily insane idea, as immigrants make up a significant portion of the youthful working population who's taxes contribute to and support these programs. Cutting out this base of support makes no sense at all.

Again, another bad idea which I disagree with.

EVERY child of a legal immigrant should be able to use EVERY welfare service of the U.S. as long as THAT child was born HERE. If some one wishes to emigrate from their home country to here, with their entire family, then they should be able to be SELF SUFFICIENT. They should not come here with the expectation of being helped by welfare services. They should come here expecting to forge a new life and embolden the country which they now pledge their allegiance to.

Quote:
Since public schooling is how we train the workers, leaders, and thinkers of the future, I see an increase in public school enrollment as a positive indicator of our ability to expand economically and support our Capitalist system.

Would you argue that educated workforce is not worth the cost of education? You might find some agreement in the Taliban-held areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan or amongst the (former) Tamil Tigers, but not here with me, I'm afraid.
You know that public schools are publicly funded, thus as increase in school enrollment, WITHOUT at least a direct and equal increase in the percentage of tax money the system will become unsustainable.

We pay a school tax here regardless of if we have children or not, and that DOES NOT bother me, however if someone wishes to be a baby factory and have six kids to my one or none then THAT parent or parents SHOULD have to pay more toward the education of their children while said children are in the public school system.

Also considering that the immigrants from Mexico and other S.O.B. nation are enrolling in our school systems while speaking primarily Spanish, it become VERY tough to teach other children and it holds back the entire learning process at the school.

I have seen it first person, by gf teaches the 4th grade a a very small school. Only thirteen in her class. She has stated several time that had she not been bilingual she would not have been able to teach three of her students or converse with those children's parents. I mean good lord they are in the 4th grade and speak/spoke broken English.

On another note tho, her being bilingual GREATLY increased the Hispanic kids English thru out this past year.

Quote:
I strongly disagree. I live and work closely with both native-born and immigrant citizens and permanent residents. I find that my life both at work and in the neighborhoods where I resided was greatly enriched by the liberal nature of our immigration policies.
There are, and will always be, outliers. These people that you work with sound as if they are good working people. However, that is not the standard. Immigrants as a whole take far more in government support that they pay in taxes. We have become THE immigrant haven will our lax immigration laws and expanding welfare state.

Quote:
I agree that the immigration system should be amended to reduce the amount of family-based immigration and favor immigration by skilled workers. A good place to start would be to stop sending US-educated foreigners home to compete with our own industries and workers from overseas. Any immigrant who can find work and wishes to remain in the United States after completing a 4-year degree at an accredited technical university should be awarded an automatic Permanent Residency (Green Card)

Agree agree agree. Everything else I am fearful of may very well be cleared up if we ONLY changes the things that you said in the last paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or