U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Slightly off topic,but have you been to a major league baseball game in SoCal recently?Catch an Angel or Dodger game and most of the problems mentioned here about Disneyland will be found at the ballpark.Baseball is very popular with the local cholos,and the illegals have also become big fans.Hordes of loud,rude,pushy fans fill the stadium.
I didn't know that..and I WAS planning on attending this season...oh well.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM

117 posts, read 259,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Slightly off topic,but have you been to a major league baseball game in SoCal recently?Catch an Angel or Dodger game and most of the problems mentioned here about Disneyland will be found at the ballpark.Baseball is very popular with the local cholos,and the illegals have also become big fans.Hordes of loud,rude,pushy fans fill the stadium.
Yeah but most "cholos" aren't illegal, if you would see me you would guess that I was a cholo. I just like the style, I really am not one. As a whole, the Dodger fans are all obnoxious. At least that's what I see when I got to a game here in PHX at Chase Field.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:02 PM

20,424 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
The visitors were probably tourists.... have you thought about that you Einstein?

Would you speak in French if you travelled to the Disney park in Europe???

He wouldn't have to; Disney in Paris is staffed by English speaking people.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm curious about why it bothers you when people around you speak a different language among themselves.
Oh, get off it already. He was immersed in a culture that he wasn't expecting to be immersed in, he felt excluded because he's not Latino and doesn't share Latino culture and he felt uncomfortable and shocked at what he saw. The Spanish language that was consistently being spoken was a physical manifestation that he was not one of them, that he was among a different culture, which IS a shock when you're in your home country.

My advice is for everyone to just get use to it. As long as we're Capitalists, business owners will ALWAYS go for workers who they can pay less, and as long as Mexico and Central American countries continue to be the armpit of the world, these spanish-speaking immigrants will continue to come over here illegally. If you add that in with the fact that more white people die than are born every year on top of the fact that Latinos and Blacks triple their numbers, eventually whites will be the minority everywhere. It's already started to happen where I live right now.

It makes white people feel awkward and racist to say that they're worried about this, so they stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening until it gets SO bad that it's too late to reverse the effects, if one wanted to do so.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM

This reminds me. A couple of summers ago I was sitting on a bench in Skagway, Alaska, doing some people-watching. There was a group of tourists not far from me and when I first noticed them I thought they were arguing among themselves. Then it seemed that they were just loud and boisterous. I continued listening to them out of curiosity--and really, they were so loud I couldn't help but hear them...and finally ascertained that they were all from New Jersey.

No offense to any NJ people.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM

34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Ok, so just don't go there again. You can't really blame Disney, since one person's money is as good as another to them. Maybe you should blame the state of California for going broke giving away the store to anyone who wanders across the border...they're probably throwing in Disney tickets too.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
one problem is that those people who won't do anything to improve their own country which requires improving themselves are the ones who come here.
this. ^

Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Oh, get off it already. He was immersed in a culture that he wasn't expecting to be immersed in, he felt excluded because he's not Latino and doesn't share Latino culture and he felt uncomfortable and shocked at what he saw. The Spanish language that was consistently being spoken was a physical manifestation that he was not one of them, that he was among a different culture, which IS a shock when you're in your home country.
It's my understanding that the OP lives in Cali and from what's been posted here, Latino culture is very strong there.

Why should he be shocked at what he saw?

What bothers me more is calling tech support and getting someone from another country.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

My advice is for everyone to just get use to it. As long as we're Capitalists, business owners will ALWAYS go for workers who they can pay less, and as long as Mexico and Central American countries continue to be the armpit of the world, these spanish-speaking immigrants will continue to come over here illegally. If you add that in with the fact that more white people die than are born every year on top of the fact that Latinos and Blacks triple their numbers, eventually whites will be the minority everywhere. It's already started to happen where I live right now.

It makes white people feel awkward and racist to say that they're worried about this, so they stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not happening until it gets SO bad that it's too late to reverse the effects, if one wanted to do so.
High time white Americans stop the Self-flagellation for wrongs committed by a minority of white bad apple racists.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's my understanding that the OP lives in Cali and from what's been posted here, Latino culture is very strong there.

Why should he be shocked at what he saw?
Because Disneyland in America has been historically run and staffed by white people and was created in 1952, which was the pinnacle of white american culture and most people still associate Disneyland with that?

Because all of the Disney characters who were main characters and human, save for Aladdin and Mulan, have been white and the other races have been portrayed as animals (Jamaican crab in The Little Mermaid, laughing hyenas in The Lion King were said to be based on black people, etc.)?

Whether people like it or not, Disneyland and it's cartoons were centered around white culture and white people. So yes, to see not even underrepresented, but not represented at all by the culture it has made it's money on (historically catering to white tastes), is a shock. It would be like going to Japan and seeing only French people. You'd have to ask yourself what the hell is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or