U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,716,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
You asked why a white person would be surprised to find only Mexicans at Disneyland. I DID explain it, you however, have not come up with a contrasting viewpoint. All you do is ask questions you already have the answer to in your mind and then quickly attempt to realign with the person by stating something you think everyone is annoyed by.
I would also be surprised by Asian Mariachies in Old Town San Diego; or Mexican Gisha Girls; or even by White Basket Ball Players.

Whether we are a pluralist society or not, some things just seem "normal."

Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM

20,420 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Quote:
You asked why a white person would be surprised to find only Mexicans at Disneyland. I DID explain it, you however, have not come up with a contrasting viewpoint. All you do is ask questions you already have the answer to in your mind and then quickly attempt to realign with the person by stating something you think everyone is annoyed by.
Perhaps you could define "contrasting viewpoint"...if you're expecting me to say I've been to DL and saw white people there, I can't do that.

I can't say that I would or wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of Hispanics at Disneyland; I wouldn't go there in the first place. Other posters who do, however, haven't had the experience of the OP.

But I'm used to being in parts of the country where tourists come from all over the world; I would think that Disneland would be the same. The private conversations of others around me really don't have much impact on my existence, no matter what langauge they're conducted in.

And I don't need to "realign" with anyone here; I'm not the one who seems to be spoiling for a fight in this thread.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,844,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.
Umm, they don't. Those aren't the Migrant workers at Disneyland. Those are rich TOURISTS.

TOURISTS are the ones who go to Disneyland, not local people.

Go to any tourist spot and you will find more people who don't speak English than those who do.

Get over yourself...all fun parks cost a ton and are insanely crowded...what would you have said if those people were all Black and spoke in Urban slang? What about if they were all Japanese (like in San Francisco) and spoke only Japanese?

Mexico has a lot of rich people, despite the vision a lot of you have of it as a poverty-stricken desert, it is actually in the top third in per-capita income and has some of the richest people in the world. Plus, Spanish speakers can come from at least a dozen more countries. If a family of 5 can spend a day at Disneyland, you can be sure that they are contributing to our economy and are certainly not illegal immigrant farm workers.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:25 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,704,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Perhaps you could define "contrasting viewpoint"...if you're expecting me to say I've been to DL and saw white people there, I can't do that.

I can't say that I would or wouldn't be surprised to see a majority of Hispanics at Disneyland; I wouldn't go there in the first place. Other posters who do, however, haven't had the experience of the OP.

But I'm used to being in parts of the country where tourists come from all over the world; I would think that Disneland would be the same. The private conversations of others around me really don't have much impact on my existence, no matter what langauge they're conducted in.

And I don't need to "realign" with anyone here; I'm not the one who seems to be spoiling for a fight in this thread.
I'm not spoiling for a fight, but the way you come across insinuates that the OP is dumb, racist and lying about his experiences in Disneyland. My posts countered that you don't have to be any of those and still be surprised at finding Disneyland filled with nothing but Mexicans.

My asking for another viewpoint was asking you why YOU thought the OP was upset, since you disagreed with his reasons for being upset, but upon further analyzation, I realized it's because you thought/think he is dumb, racist and lying.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
High time white Americans stop the Self-flagellation for wrongs committed by a minority of white bad apple racists.
My 'White guilt' has died------------especially concerning illegal aliens (White or not) here in the USA.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
See the funny thing is that I was just at Disneyland and saw nothing of the sort. Actually it was mostly Asian and White. There were Hispanics, of course, but not to the extent that the poster mentioned.

Most people there were families. I didn't notice any "gang types".

Sometimes people really do need to calm down and not get themselves all worked up.

Is it possible that the OP percieved there to be more Mexicans than actually there? It's not outside the realm of plausibility.

Racist? Maybe not in the sense of "I hate xyz". But it could be possible in the sense of "x race makes me uncomfortable"

As for speaking another language in public. If they are not addressing you, it's none of your business.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,071,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Therein lies the rub: the (mostly Mestizo Hispanic) illegal aliens have besmirched the good name of Americans whose families came from Mexico, etc.

For that matter: my step-sister; who is of Irish/Italian lineage gets mistaken for Puerto Rican a lot----------her skin is that dark. Yet she is is 100% Anglo White in the legal sense.
Sorry, but that is bout the most inane piece of illogic I have read in a long time. Race has nothing to do with it, whereas poverty and exploitation has been everything...

Illegal aliens who come over from Mexico are poor regardless of race...that is why they come in drives despite the crummy pay! They don;t seek cable TV or the right to use free clinics one a quarter or to pay $500 for a weekend at Disneyland!! LOL!!

Do you really want to end illegal migration? Push your local government very hard to pass out stiff fines to any family hiring illegals even for menial tasks. Fine companies, from mom & pop restaurants to interstate firms, from thousands to millions for hiring illegals and make any such case public. Get neighboring communities and states to do the same.

At the same type, greatly reduce the welfare handouts that supposedly attract illegals. And get the lazy off their a$$es to work at minimum wage. Get the obese into the fields to work 12-14 hours shifts.

Here is what will result.
1) Prices for everything will go up.
2) Some firms will relocate to other cities, states and countries
3) There will be labour shortages
4) Local communities will have gained back some control over their public services
5) Many jobs will go unfilled as Americans see themselves as beyond certain types of work.
6) Many locals will clamor for a return of their welfare.
7) Local unemployment will remain at a high level.

If communities see the tradeoffs as being worth it, then get things freakin' done. I for one believe in sealing our borders and upgrading our immigration control system to the 21st century from its underfunded state.

However, don't blame the poor, uneducated and vulnerable who seek only better lives. Don't sit like a dolt on border ready to protect our borders when everyone and his sister knows the real profiteers are our employers, our neighbors and even ourselves.

We have been unwilling to put our wallets where our mouths have been and to pay for true-blue USA made. The same goes for our economic dependency on China. Just look in the mirror at the person voting in politicians who are selling our economic souls to China while a handful in the US make record gobs of money.

Should China blame the US worker for being expensive or not productive enough? Of course not. That too would be factually incorrect and illogical. We the apathetic and greedy are to blame. Real patriots would attack where the problem originates. To blame the weak is sheer ignorance and cowardice.

If you cannot tell, I am highly skeptical that anything will get done since all I hear is hot air and chest thumping and no courage or action to punish the real criminals in these games.

This is not about race. It is about economics and public policy and our unwillingness to make tough decisions. In fact, the most ethical player in this game, is the probably the subset of illegals trying to make an honest living to support his family. Back in the day of free (though expensive) migration to the US, this is how America's forefathers did things...with the embrace of risk, with love of family, and with an amazingly resilient work ethic.

Let's hope that if we can get illegal migration to halt that we will pick a page from our past and reconnect with the work ethic and pragmatism that seems in short supply...

S.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Sorry, but that is bout the most inane piece of illogic I have read in a long time. Race has nothing to do with it, whereas poverty and exploitation has been everything...

Illegal aliens who come over from Mexico are poor regardless of race...that is why they come in drives despite the crummy pay! They don;t seek cable TV or the right to use free clinics one a quarter or to pay $500 for a weekend at Disneyland!! LOL!!

Do you really want to end illegal migration? Push your local government very hard to pass out stiff fines to any family hiring illegals even for menial tasks. Fine companies, from mom & pop restaurants to interstate firms, from thousands to millions for hiring illegals and make any such case public. Get neighboring communities and states to do the same.

At the same type, greatly reduce the welfare handouts that supposedly attract illegals. And get the lazy off their a$$es to work at minimum wage. Get the obese into the fields to work 12-14 hours shifts.

Here is what will result.
1) Prices for everything will go up.
2) Some firms will relocate to other cities, states and countries
3) There will be labour shortages
4) Local communities will have gained back some control over their public services
5) Many jobs will go unfilled as Americans see themselves as beyond certain types of work.
6) Many locals will clamor for a return of their welfare.
7) Local unemployment will remain at a high level.

If communities see the tradeoffs as being worth it, then get things freakin' done. I for one believe in sealing our borders and upgrading our immigration control system to the 21st century from its underfunded state.

However, don't blame the poor, uneducated and vulnerable who seek only better lives. Don't sit like a dolt on border ready to protect our borders when everyone and his sister knows the real profiteers are our employers, our neighbors and even ourselves.

We have been unwilling to put our wallets where our mouths have been and to pay for true-blue USA made. The same goes for our economic dependency on China. Just look in the mirror at the person voting in politicians who are selling our economic souls to China while a handful in the US make record gobs of money.

Should China blame the US worker for being expensive or not productive enough? Of course not. That too would be factually incorrect and illogical. We the apathetic and greedy are to blame. Real patriots would attack where the problem originates. To blame the weak is sheer ignorance and cowardice.

If you cannot tell, I am highly skeptical that anything will get done since all I hear is hot air and chest thumping and no courage or action to punish the real criminals in these games.

This is not about race. It is about economics and public policy and our unwillingness to make tough decisions. In fact, the most ethical player in this game, is the probably the subset of illegals trying to make an honest living to support his family. Back in the day of free (though expensive) migration to the US, this is how America's forefathers did things...with the embrace of risk, with love of family, and with an amazingly resilient work ethic.

Let's hope that if we can get illegal migration to halt that we will pick a page from our past and reconnect with the work ethic and pragmatism that seems in short supply...

S.
If discussing illegals from Mexico: try again.

Mexico is not a poor nation nor is starvation an issue there anymore, if anything, obesity is looming as a major problem.

The only thing we 'owe' illegals is a one way ticket back home.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Because Disneyland in America has been historically run and staffed by white people and was created in 1952, which was the pinnacle of white american culture and most people still associate Disneyland with that?

Because all of the Disney characters who were main characters and human, save for Aladdin and Mulan, have been white and the other races have been portrayed as animals (Jamaican crab in The Little Mermaid, laughing hyenas in The Lion King were said to be based on black people, etc.)?

Whether people like it or not, Disneyland and it's cartoons were centered around white culture and white people. So yes, to see not even underrepresented, but not represented at all by the culture it has made it's money on (historically catering to white tastes), is a shock. It would be like going to Japan and seeing only French people. You'd have to ask yourself what the hell is going on.
White people? I always thought the cartoons were centered around various colored animals. Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse are black except their faces are beige but they are mice, Donald Duck is a white duck, Goofy is like Mickey and Minnie -- black with a beige face but he's a dog. Pluto is tan.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Look, that's cool and all, but most people do not expect Disneyland to be staffed and attended by Mexicans only. Please don't ask me why, I've already explained it.
That's true. It's the rudeness of the staff and the way English speakers are shunned. You see more and more of that -- yet go to Mexico and people will go out of their way to help English speaking people.

I think it's the Aztlan attitude more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or