U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM

20,418 posts, read 26,539,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Why is it such a stretch for you?

Language is part of a country's national identity and culture. And in the U.S., our language is English.
Most...no, all..countries in Europe are multi-lingual.

English is not the official language of the United States.

The stretch for me is that someone would be upset hearing another language being spoken at a tourist trap.

I also wonder why the OP made assumptions about the socio economic dynamics of the visitors to the tourist trap that he found so offensive.

Have you ever been to Alaska? Sometimes in the port cities, especially, you can hear people conversing in several different languages.

They paid their money to be here. They don't owe it to the locals to speak in a language they can understand, particularly when they are talking with their friends, family, and traveling companions.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
We Americans see the deterioration of our culture and language, and the OPs post is a perfect example of the sadness and concern we feel as a result.
To use an old phrase, what goes around comes around.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
To use an old phrase, what goes around comes around.
The USA still has a lot of life yet: if anything; Mexico will likely disintegrate long before we do. As for Canada: once they stopping kissing Quebec's Francophone butt...........that nation too may split apart---------with most of it devolving to the USA.

Remember Manifest Destiny? Well; it has not arrived--------------------yet.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The USA still has a lot of life yet: if anything; Mexico will likely disintegrate long before we do. As for Canada: once they stopping kissing Quebec's Francophone butt...........that nation too may split apart---------with most of it devolving to the USA.

Remember Manifest Destiny? Well; it has not arrived--------------------yet.
My comment that you quoted was in reference to the Europian migration to the American continents that took place centuries ago.

It seems that some people feel very threatened by the usage of languages they aren't well versed in.

Can someone please explain why you feel that the visitors to a tourist trap owe it to you to speak in a language that you can understand?

I could somewhat understand this stance if they were speaking directly to you.

But again, why the private conversations of others are something that some of you feel you have a right to....again, can some of you at least make an attempt to explain why that is?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM

14,196 posts, read 7,399,448 times
Quote:
My comment that you quoted was in reference to the Europian migration to the American continents that took place centuries ago.

It seems that some people feel very threatened by the usage of languages they aren't well versed in.

Can someone please explain why you feel that the visitors to a tourist trap owe it to you to speak in a language that you can understand?

But again, why the private conversations of others are something that some of you feel you have a right to....again, can some of you at least make an attempt to explain why that is?
I think it could be expected to hear foreign languages spoken at a popular tourist destination. I heard many a loud oriental folks in Yellowstone and probably French Canadians at the Grand Canyon and Spanish everywhere else. Boy there sure are a lot of Spanish tourists.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,703,534 times
Quote:
I think that the OP had a bad experience at DL and was annoyed by a different language being spoken as well as his wife being hit on the ass (never has been specified whether it was on accident or not). I was curious as to why he was bothered by the conversations of others in a public place since they weren't about him or to him. So..do I think he's lying? Nope.
The OP said the guy hit his wife and then laughed. Does that sound like an accident to you? Even if it was an accident, an apology was in order, because that's what you do when you accidentally bump into anyone, "Oh, excuse me." The fact that the person hit his wife, and then laughed about it is disrespectful and rude. THAT's probably why he was upset. Why is that so hard to understand?

Quote:
But several other posters in this thread have stated that their recent experiences at DL have been different. All that really means is that they didn't go on the same day he did.
this must have been the third time that you've said this and then you quickly negate it by saying it doesn't matter what other posters are saying. Then WHY do you keep bringing it up? If you don't agree with it and don't think it proves anything, then stop mentioning it.

You know, DIFFERENT posters have also had similar experiences at DL as the OP as well as saying DL has taken a nosedive, but I don't see you mentioning their posts at all. So let me guess, the posters you name are all right and the other posters must all be lying. Give me a break.

Quote:
I don't disagree with his reasons for being upset so much as I'm trying to understand them and to an extent I can.
Please stop. You are NOT trying to understand. That is a big fat lie. It is clear to most of us here that ALL you are doing is attempting to trap someone into saying that they're racist by asking them pointed questions.

Quote:
Do I think you're racist? Damn skippy, with your blathering about "white culture".
lol. seriously? Because I said that Disney culture was founded on white american culture of the 1940's?

That's what ALL media, radio shows, TV shows and movies were based around back then. Unless you want to tell me that you think The Honeymooners were based on Asians, or that Singing in the Rain was about the Aztecs. It does not make me "racist" to point that fact media WAS based on white american culture. It simply was.

Quote:

ok, let me try this one more time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
He was immersed in a culture that he wasn't expecting to be immersed in, he felt excluded because he's not Latino and doesn't share Latino culture and he felt uncomfortable and shocked at what he saw. The Spanish language that was consistently being spoken was a physical manifestation that he was not one of them, that he was among a different culture, which IS a shock when you're in your home country.
on top of that, you're misrepresenting what the OP said. The OP was NOT upset about the idea that there may be tourists, he was upset about the lack of diversity (which is kind of the opposite of racism, don't you think?).

Old 05-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
The OP said the guy hit his wife and then laughed. Does that sound like an accident to you? Even if it was an accident, an apology was in order, because that's what you do when you accidentally bump into anyone, "Oh, excuse me." The fact that the person hit his wife, and then laughed about it is disrespectful and rude. THAT's probably why he was upset. Why is that so hard to understand?
Sounds like it was crowded there; the OP never clarified whether it was an accident or not. The offender did issue an apology and the laughter could have been because he was embarrassed.

Why is it so hard to understand that there are two sides to everything? Who among us hasn't been jostled in a crowd?

Quote:
You know, DIFFERENT posters have also had similar experiences at DL as the OP as well as saying DL has taken a nosedive, but I don't see you mentioning their posts at all. So let me guess, the posters you name are all right and the other posters must all be lying. Give me a break.
Once again, I've accused no one of lying. Just saying that the OP's experience hasn't been mirrored by some of the other posters here.

Quote:
lol. seriously? Because I said that Disney culture was founded on white american culture of the 1940's?

That's what ALL media, radio shows, TV shows and movies were based around back then. Unless you want to tell me that you think The Honeymooners were based on Asians, or that Singing in the Rain was about the Aztecs. It does not make me "racist" to point that fact media WAS based on white american culture. It simply was.
And do you think that it should remain that way simply because of a few tv shows in the last century?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that we don't all live our lives around television, et al.

Quote:
on top of that, you're misrepresenting what the OP said. The OP was NOT upset about the idea that there may be tourists, he was upset about the lack of diversity (which is kind of the opposite of racism, don't you think?).
No, the OP was upset about lack of what you call "white culture" present at a tourist trap. I'm still curious as to why anyone believes that the other people visiting
such a place owes it to them to speak in a language that they can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett
He was immersed in a culture that he wasn't expecting to be immersed in, he felt excluded because he's not Latino and doesn't share Latino culture and he felt uncomfortable and shocked at what he saw. The Spanish language that was consistently being spoken was a physical manifestation that he was not one of them, that he was among a different culture, which IS a shock when you're in your home country.
And let me explain this once again. No one owes it to the OP or anyone else in a public place to converse among themselves in a language that they cannot understand.

I really don't know why that's so hard to get.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:

Quick and dirty here:

I have no issue with foreign tourists/business people/students/etc. here in the States speaking in their own languages-----------provided that said individuals are not acting like stereotypical Ugly Americans with the roles reversed.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 PM

And

Quote:
this must have been the third time that you've said this and then you quickly negate it by saying it doesn't matter what other posters are saying. Then WHY do you keep bringing it up? If you don't agree with it and don't think it proves anything, then stop mentioning it.
Honestly, I don't know where you dig up some of your material. It is not the truth that I've said that it doesn't matter what other posters are saying.

If you want to fight with me, at least do so with the truth.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Quick and dirty here:

I have no issue with foreign tourists/business people/students/etc. here in the States speaking in their own languages-----------provided that said individuals are not acting like stereotypical Ugly Americans with the roles reversed.

LOL--why should behaving like the stereotypical "ugly American" be the province of only those who are white?

In Alaska, the worst tourists are those from certain parts of the United States. I've often wished they did speak a language I didn't know, so I wouldn't have to hear their conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or