U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most...no, all..countries in Europe are multi-lingual.

English is not the official language of the United States.

The stretch for me is that someone would be upset hearing another language being spoken at a tourist trap.

I also wonder why the OP made assumptions about the socio economic dynamics of the visitors to the tourist trap that he found so offensive.

Have you ever been to Alaska? Sometimes in the port cities, especially, you can hear people conversing in several different languages.

They paid their money to be here. They don't owe it to the locals to speak in a language they can understand, particularly when they are talking with their friends, family, and traveling companions.
I doubt that anyone would object to French tourists speaking French or Japanese tourists speaking Japanese. French and Japanese tourists, or any other tourists, are in the US for a limited amount of time and no one expects them to speak fluent English. This is where your lack of experience with illegal aliens from south of the border shows up. There are people in the US illegally who have been here for years, sometimes decades, and have made no effort to learn English, the language spoken by the vast majority of Americans. A significant number of the Disneyland people may have been speaking Spanish because it is the only language they know. They claim to want their piece of the 'American Dream' yet do not put forth the effort to learn English. Why do I care? Because as an American taxpayer, I then have to pay for ESL for their kids, interpreters if they go to court, printing all sorts of documents in Spanish, etc. Many hospitals have to keep interpreters on staff to translate for the hispanic patients. This is an added expense. Furthermore, in the ER it takes twice as long to interview a spanish-only patient because everything has to go through an interpreter which means everyone has to wait longer for care. You want to live here? Learn the language that is primarily spoken here.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:54 PM

20,445 posts, read 26,577,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I doubt that anyone would object to French tourists speaking French or Japanese tourists speaking Japanese. French and Japanese tourists, or any other tourists, are in the US for a limited amount of time and no one expects them to speak fluent English. This is where your lack of experience with illegal aliens from south of the border shows up. There are people in the US illegally who have been here for years, sometimes decades, and have made no effort to learn English, the language spoken by the vast majority of Americans. A significant number of the Disneyland people may have been speaking Spanish because it is the only language they know. They claim to want their piece of the 'American Dream' yet do not put forth the effort to learn English. Why do I care? Because as an American taxpayer, I then have to pay for ESL for their kids, interpreters if they go to court, printing all sorts of documents in Spanish, etc. Many hospitals have to keep interpreters on staff to translate for the hispanic patients. This is an added expense. Furthermore, in the ER it takes twice as long to interview a spanish-only patient because everything has to go through an interpreter which means everyone has to wait longer for care. You want to live here? Learn the language that is primarily spoken here.
Thank you for a reasonable post with some concrete reasons for the way that some of you feel about this. This makes much more sense than the cartoon analogy.

In an afterword in one of James Michener's novels (that was published in 1988), he wrote about the situation in Quebec, and brought up many of the same issues that you have.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,298,527 times
This thread is going nowhere .
Closed.
Yac.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,343,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That I doubt any time soon being that Disney corporate is quite Old School conservative.

Although; there may be a movie or two dealing with Gays that was put out by Walt Disney Films.
Do remember that Disney World has Gay Day parties in their grounds. It is celebrated every year on the first week of June....which is coming up!!!! party!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Why is it such a stretch for you?

Language is part of a country's national identity and culture. And in the U.S., our language is English.

We are the UNITED States. And what unites us is a common culture and a common language. This is the way it is in all countries. In Japan, the Japanese culture and language unites the Japanese people. In Mexico, the Mexican culture and Spanish language unites Mexicans. In Russia, the Russian culture and Russian language unites Russians. And so on and so on.

The problem is, there are those who feel that the U.S. shouldn't have a common culture and language. People like yourself feel that the U.S. belongs to everybody, and that it should be a complete free-for-all and cacaphone of different languages, cultures and religions. Well, it's a nice idea, but it doesn't work. All this division accomplishes is the creation of culture clashes, language barriers, and religious and political strife.

We Americans see the deterioration of our culture and language, and the OPs post is a perfect example of the sadness and concern we feel as a result.

You may call us racist or xenophobic but, on the contrary, we are simply a nation of people who have shared a common culture and language for over two centuries now, and we are devastated as we witness the slow rape and division of our national identity.
Different languages, cultures and religions together are very succesful in Europe, South Africa, China, etc. If we don't want this integration to happen in the USA, then blacks should not be allowed to marry whites and most should be forced to return to Africa. That would make the USA a true "white" nation. Don't you think?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,781,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Looks like Disney has been targeting Hispanic consumers for a number of years:

AARP - Segunda Juventud - Disneyland: 50 Happy Years (http://www.aarpsegundajuventud.org/english/travel/2005-JJ/05JJ_disney.html - broken link)

well, it certainly hasn't helped their revenue stream much.....

The Associated press: "The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday its second-quarter net income fell 46 PERCENT, dragged down by an underperforming movie slate and the impact of the recession on its theme parks."

Old 05-28-2009, 07:41 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,781,491 times
Quote:
excellent post! for every person who won't assimilate, it costs all united states taxpayers (including the legal immigrants) more.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe, and only maybe, if this country wouldn't be saturated with people like you, then more professionals would learn another language...let's say....SPANISH (since half the population of this country will be Hispanic by 2100), then maybe those PUBLIC services will be faster.

PS. Hey, I am paying for your kid's education and I don't even have kids!! I want my money back, I am not a breeder.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Different languages, cultures and religions together are very succesful in Europe, South Africa, China, etc. If we don't want this integration to happen in the USA, then blacks should not be allowed to marry whites and most should be forced to return to Africa. That would make the USA a true "white" nation. Don't you think?
Apples and oranges there.

Why I say that is despite our (diminishing) racial differences here in country: overseas; Americans tend to stick together as a group.

Case in point: I have met English people who happen to be 'Black'----------their mannerisms and especially accents gave 'em away.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,707,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
lol, Europe and esp. South Africa are NOT having success with integration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or