U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
No, I usually enjoy seeing a multitude of cultures gather. When I was younger, and when I visited Universal Studios, we saw a great diversity of tourists and people from all around the world, Asia, Europe, etc. Everyone was generally nice, they did their own thing, they had their little english dictionaries...it was all good.

Disneyland was just a bunch of people who live here (many probably illegaly since speaking english is a requirement to gain/keep citizenship), speak no english, and have a totally rude attitude.
I've never been to Disneyland; never had any real desire to go there. I've always read though that the company policy didn't allow for employee rudeness. That sort of thing though seems to be a problem everywhere these days.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:06 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, where I'm at I see brown people as being Native Americans.
Okay. Speaking of Native Americans, apparently they aren't real happy with the mexican invasion either. It looks like everybody's sick of having uninvited guests from mexico:

Quote:
TOPPENISH, Wash. -- In the museum gift shop at the Yakama Indian reservation, Wendell Hannigan shows off a small bronze statue of a Native American woman holding a basket full of hops.

Asked if there are Yakama farm workers left, the 66-year-old Yakama Nation member laughs and says, "no, no."

Behind the laughs, though, is Hannigan's conviction that the large influx of illegal Latino immigrants into this reservation, about 160 miles southeast of Seattle, poses a threat to his people.

His beliefs have prompted Hannigan to spearhead efforts for better supervision of undocumented workers - mostly from Mexico - on the reservation, and sponsor a state ballot initiative to impose stricter immigration rules.

Respect Washington, http://www.respectwashington.us

Yakama Nation man leads anti-immigrant efforts (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_yakama_latino_tensions.html - broken link)

Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,031,182 times
Quote:
Actually, where I'm at I see brown people as being Native Americans.
I am Native American. LA does not have a lot of Native Americans.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I am Native American. Where do you live?
In both Central Oregon and the great state of Alaska.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,642,496 times
Quote:
Its unfortunate. I found Disneyland to be such an inviting, happy place as a child. Its just miserable now. I found Universal Studios to be quite nice, lots of tourists still go there from what I have seen (unlike Disneyland which seems to attract only non-english speaking hispanics). I think that was my last trip to Disneyland unless I somehow find myself in Paris, Tokyo or Florida one day.
It is a shame and I too had fond memories of Disney as a child. The Universal Stuidos I was talking about was in Florida. I have no idea what is going on in the California park.

I just know that with those practices, I will not visit either park again.

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
It's a legitimate question. When you see a brown person, do you automatically think they are an illegal alien? Is there a way to tell the difference between those who are in this country legally and those who aren't?

I don't live in an area that has the problems that Cali does.
Then let me clue you in. This is probably an area that they have in a sense 'taken over' by driving everyone else away with their rude behavior. This goes on all the time. Neighborhoods with stable, long term residents can be turned into a barrio with surprising speed once one or two clown houses open up and the neighbors are driven out. Public parks are also taken over in this manner. Previously a park may have been used by all the residents of a community- a group may have a barbecue, kids are playing softball, old people sitting on benches enjoying the weather and so on. You see, all that changes once mobs of them show up, park their cars on the grass, play music excessively loud and act in an intimidating towards anyone who is not part of their 'group'. They think this is a way of showing how powerful they are although in actuality it demonstrates something quite different.

Quote:
In both Central Oregon and the great state of Alaska.
Well, being so far removed from the illegal immigration problem up there in Alaska, its no wonder you sympathize with illegal immigrants.

As my best friend's analogy goes, if you don't see the crime on the streets everyday, your more inclined not to see it as a problem.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Then let me clue you in. This is probably an area that they have in a sense 'taken over' by driving everyone else away with their rude behavior. This goes on all the time. Neighborhoods with stable, long term residents can be turned into a barrio with surprising speed once one or two clown houses open up and the neighbors are driven out. Public parks are also taken over in this manner. Previously a park may have been used by all the residents of a community- a group may have a barbecue, kids are playing softball, old people sitting on benches enjoying the weather and so on. You see, all that changes once mobs of them show up, park their cars on the grass, play music excessively loud and act in an intimidating towards anyone who is not part of their 'group'. They think this is a way of showing how powerful they are although in actuality it demonstrates something quite different.
I think this may have driven out the tourists at Disneyland (especially from Asia, Disneyland use to have tons of Asian tourists).

Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,564,606 times
Quote:
I visited Disneyland on May 16th for the first time in 22 years (since I was a child). I have never been so irritated in my life as the day I went there. First off, the tickets cost $94. And when I got into the park, NOBODY spoke english. You would have thought this was Disneyland Mexico! It was utterly unbelievable. The people at the park were sooooo rude (mainly the ones that spoke only spanish)...trying to wedge their 20 kids in front of me and my niece, cutting, one married family man hit my wifes butt, and said "lo siento" and laughed. We got so many dirty and awkward looks from some people as if we were a strange breed in some foreign country.

I just couldn't believe how some of these families, who had 5+ kids, could afford to drop $500 on a trip to Disneyland. This park was, no joke, almost ALL spanish speakers (not just hispanics or other legal citizens whom I dont have a problem with, but people who literally spoke no english). I asked one of the older men (he worked as an information man) about it, and he said that Disney forces him to take classes at the local community college in order to learn spanish to cater to the almost 100% spanish speaking population at Disneyland, and that new employee's are almost required to speak spanish to be in serious contention for a job.

I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.
I just went to Disneyland and California Adventure last Sunday and back in July 2008 and did not observe this influx of Spanish speaking folks or rudeness. Maybe you went on a bad day but I've never had any issues with rudeness at the park. Most of the folks I usually see are caucasian tourists.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well, being so far removed from the illegal immigration problem up there in Alaska, its no wonder you sympathize with illegal immigrants.

As my best friend says, if you don't see the crime on the streets everyday, your more inclined not to see it as a problem.
Actually, I'm not sure how much I sympathize with them. It's simply something I'm fairly well removed from these days.

Though when my son started first grade, before we wised up and decided that the public school system wasn't in his best educational interests, he had to walk to school rather than riding the bus.

I had seen a bus stopped on the corner by our house with little kids getting on it and had assumed that he would be catching the bus there.

When I called the school to inquire about this, I was informed that the bus was only for "bi-lingual" students. They weren't amused when I told them that my son was somewhat fluent in Italian. Looking back, I wish I would have pushed the issue a bit more.

They also had a couple of what they called bi-lingual classrooms. What that really meant was that only espanol was used in those classrooms. They'd throw five or six English speaking children in them and let them sink or swim.

I believe that...especially with the way the economy is now...that anyone who provides an illegal alien with a job rather than an American citizen is a traitor to this country.

That said, I know very little about the cultural impact that this is having on where some of you live. It's interesting to read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or