U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 PM

569 posts, read 1,467,461 times

Advertisements

It's amazing how these Mexican immigrants can afford to go to Disneyland and travel back and forth to Mexico constantly as well as having more and more kids on the U.S. welfare roles. Hard working Americans cannot even afford half of this much less bringing 10 kids to Disneyland. I don't think our grandparents and great grandparents intended for us to be supporting Mexico in a better lifestyle than we can afford ourselves.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,723,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
After you just wrote a post almost completely in caps with lots of little angry smileys, and talked about taking up arms so no one speaks anything other than the "American language"?
That was supposed to be cynical comedy....sorry it didn't come across that way.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,467,461 times
Quote:
Plus, the guy MUST be a patient, and good father, if he not only sticks around to raise "20 kids", but also makes the effort to spend quality time with ALL 20 of them at Disneyland!
My dad only took my sister and I to Disneyland 1 or 2 times, and there's only 2 of us!

How did he get there, I wonder? Did he rent a school bus?
The CA gov't probably sent him a private plane. We gotta do what's right after all.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM

223 posts, read 254,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
That was supposed to be cynical comedy....sorry it didn't come across that way.
It didn't come off as too far of a stretch.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,723,231 times
Quote:
It didn't come off as too far of a stretch.
oh, no. That's sad. I am sorry.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,084,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Prices for everything have gone up significantly in the past few years. I've seen milk as high as $4.00 a gallon, housing prices went up considerably in spite of very high levels of illegals. Gas prices are rising again, could like get over $4 a gallon. As ridiculous as it might seem, in spite of 30 million plus illegals living here, lettuce can be seen selling for over $1 a head!!! Go back to the early 80's before all these people arrived and the food prices were much much lower, houses were cheaper. gallon in
Those costs are for reasons that have nothing to do with migrant labour. Fuel costs hit $9/gallon in Europe last year. Our costs remains exceptionally low compared to other developed economies owing mainly to our competition, flexibility and consumerism.

Quote:
Businesses that won't employ Americans don't benefit us at all and they should relocate to other countries. If someone cannot fathom hiring Americans and prefers to hire all Mexicans -- then really Mexico is a great place for his business.
Unfortunately, you are wrong. And this is a problem. The massive outsourcing to Asia plus the massive "insourcing" to illegal labour & H1B visas is making a small group of Americans extremely wealthy.

Some of their businesses offer great products and services to Americans, like the stuff coming out of Silicon Valley or Redmond, WA. However, the question is and should always be: at what cost?

Quote:
Labor shortages? We've got high and rising unemployment rates. Labor shortages are like supply and demand, shortages of labor will get wages up -- naturally.
Well, let's make sure we keep things properly sorted out. The current recession has a number of important causes and has left us where we are today.

The relevant question here is: what would happen if all illegals were booted from the country? Last time I checked, Americans do not pick cotton, veggies, fruits, etc. at $5 an hour with no bennies. If they did, i.e. their reservation wage was as low as those of desperately poor and unskilled Mexican labourers (let's hope not), then we would not miss a beat.

Hmm...when was the last time we saw a queue to work the fields? Go back to the era of the Dust Bowl and the Grapes of Wrath....a LONG time ago...

Quote:
Necessity is the mother of all invention, when labor costs are too high, machines are invented.
I agree, but the question here is agricultural, odd/disgusting job labour. The iconic family farm is pretty much history at this point. American agriculture is about scalable agrobusiness. It runs on illegal and brasero labour and has for MANY years.
Technology already dominates. The more obvious solution is importation of food from places like China, Brazil, Vietnam, and perhaps India one day.

Quote:
Locals on welfare may be a problem but we don't need the additional strain of illegals on welfare and there's no denying that many illegals use welfare.
I agree completely. In fact, I have been consistent when I call for the end of illegal immigration, i.e. better control over this process.

That said, the question is: is America truly ready for the predictions I have made, all of which are consistent with economics 101?
My answer is: no, not even close.

If illegals are kicked out, my guess is that we'll see another type of massive amnesty. While I personally do not agree with it, it seems like the option that Americans are more likely to agree with. To get more aggressive will take a massive amount of political will that I simply do not see on either side of the aisle nor among the masses, who want their illegals out but all the benefits of cheap unregulated labour.

Is there really the courage and understanding of the sacrifices that will need to be made in the short to intermediate run, while we rid ourselves of our addiction to short-cuts and dependency?

S.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 05-28-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 PM

435 posts, read 1,416,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Chill....I'm beginning to beleive that you need some anger management therapy.
So Ive been told. Its even a miracle that I have not punched my wife yet.

The constant look of her white face, must make me angry.

I will say this why does it bother you that a family of 20 is at disneyland??
The last time I checked Disneyland does charge for folks to get in, its not like they give away the entrance. Also to touch on this subject, I was at Disneyland and didnt see much of what you speak. Must be on the weekend when all 20 kids are out of school.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM

435 posts, read 536,673 times
You people need to worry about your own life's instead of 20 kids going to Disney land and speaking Spanish big freaking deal. What are you paying the entry fee to Disney Land? Get a life and stop b*tchen.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
You people need to worry about your own life's instead of 20 kids going to Disney land and speaking Spanish big freaking deal. What are you paying the entry fee to Disney Land? Get a life and stop b*tchen.
I agree. People SHOULD worry about their own life's....and get their no's out of other peoples' business....Disney Land is the "Happiest Place on Earth", after all.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM

95 posts, read 112,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I visited Disneyland on May 16th for the first time in 22 years (since I was a child). I have never been so irritated in my life as the day I went there. First off, the tickets cost $94. And when I got into the park, NOBODY spoke english. You would have thought this was Disneyland Mexico! It was utterly unbelievable. The people at the park were sooooo rude (mainly the ones that spoke only spanish)...trying to wedge their 20 kids in front of me and my niece, cutting, one married family man hit my wifes butt, and said "lo siento" and laughed. We got so many dirty and awkward looks from some people as if we were a strange breed in some foreign country.

I just couldn't believe how some of these families, who had 5+ kids, could afford to drop $500 on a trip to Disneyland. This park was, no joke, almost ALL spanish speakers (not just hispanics or other legal citizens whom I dont have a problem with, but people who literally spoke no english). I asked one of the older men (he worked as an information man) about it, and he said that Disney forces him to take classes at the local community college in order to learn spanish to cater to the almost 100% spanish speaking population at Disneyland, and that new employee's are almost required to speak spanish to be in serious contention for a job.

I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.
Last year I went to Disneyland and California Adventure: all I remember seeing was White people. But then again I wasn't paying that much attention to the people around me.
I think the real issue is somebody hitting your wife's butt: that incident probably ruined your family's day. And I don't blame you, I know if that happened to my girl, things would have not ended well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or