U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 05:59 PM

223 posts, read 254,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually my Thai wife has been mistaken for being south american or mexican and by Mexicans..... LOL She hates it. They try to speak spanish to her. ROFL
She must really feel insulted.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Mexican for the most part is a race.

Look at this pic of Mexican school children for example. I see ZERO racial diversity in this pic because all of the kids in it look like they belong to the same race.

I would not confuse a single Mexican in that pic for being White, Korean, or Chinese for example.
Actually; those kids could be East Indian, American Indian, Cambodian, etc.

In all fairness; most Mexican people are either in whole or part, 'Indian' as it ls---------especially the lower classes. The Mx elite is typically White.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Vicente Fox does not have an Anglo WASP appearance.
FYI: an 'Anglo' here in Arizona refers to any non Hispanic White/Caucasian person----------including Arabs and Iranians.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:05 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
She must really feel insulted.
Well she is actually. But then again she refuses to speak Thai in public. She feels that it is rude. She confronts me for it all too often so I of course do it anyway.
She does feel insulted.
1. She is Thai not Mexican or South American
2. She does not want to be viewed as anything but an American citizen.
3. She is quite aware of the fact that of the 20 million plus illegals the majority are Mexican. She detests the fact that so many feel it is okay to break our laws and cheat the system.
So it isn't really hard to imagine why she would feel insulted.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:34 AM

13 posts, read 20,169 times
I am part white but can not prove it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,309,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
I am part white but can not prove it.
WOW!!! Obama is half white too and can't prove it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
without reading everyones comments...

i think it is framed in terms of race because this country is polarized by race. the issue of race has long been dichotamized into black and white. any one not fitting the white (read, blue eyed blonde haired, english speaking,) falls into the category of black. or other.

thats one reason. the other reason is because we still use the lens of race to differentiate between the type of discrimination experienced by these people.

is not gender discrimination. its not disability discrimination. its discrimination based on the way someone looks (or even sounds[accents]).

if not racist, then is it ETHNICIST?

either way its still dislike based on prejudice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It boils my blood when the pro illegal side wants to turn this whole fiasco into a race thing.

Mexican, is not the same as Hispanic.

Since when did Mexican, become a race of people? Is Canadian a race? How about German's, Italians, Polish, French......

Someones nationality is not a race, to even turn it into a racial battle.

Who else gets bent out of shape, when they pull the race card???????

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM

i read the comments. i knew i left this one alone the first time around for a reason...

lots of "not a member" going on.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
any one not fitting the white (read, blue eyed blonde haired, english speaking,) falls into the category of black. or other.
BS. Americans come in all colors. People that come here to be a part of this country, who learn English, who love this country as their own are Americans, whether they are black, white, asian, latino, eskimo or whatever. It's not about race, no matter how much peolple like you insist it is.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM

im not the one insitisting anything. im just saying what its been like in this country. having a half black president dont really change much.

but i know plenty of people (hispanic and asian) who have been discriminated against (in the south especially) because of the way they look.

the dichotomy of race is still white and OTHER.

but why would i expect a SIMPLE man to understand this

read some patricia hill collins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
BS. Americans come in all colors. People that come here to be a part of this country, who learn English, who love this country as their own are Americans, whether they are black, white, asian, latino, eskimo or whatever. It's not about race, no matter how much peolple like you insist it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.