U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
im not the one insitisting anything. im just saying what its been like in this country. having a half black president dont really change much.

but i know plenty of people (hispanic and asian) who have been discriminated against (in the south especially) because of the way they look.

the dichotomy of race is still white and OTHER.

but why would i expect a SIMPLE man to understand this

read some patricia hill collins.
The truth comes out: at least the eyes of the Spanish speaking Mestizos that there is no such thing as a blond haired blue eyed Hispanic.

Flip side: there are scads of 'brown' Anglos who get pegged as 'Mexican' a lot.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
thos with anglo features "PASS" ever heard of that concept. therefore it is less easy for those uninformed bigots to miss them when profiling people based on their own prejudices.

c'mon now.

and yes, lots of brown folk get pegged for mexican.
the salvadorans hate when that happens. that really gets their blood boiling.

thats another funny thing. how everyone is "mexican". but thats also tied to historic occurences. mexicans were the first south of the border immigrants. anyone coming from down there was immediately mexican. really funny the way people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The truth comes out: at least the eyes of the Spanish speaking Mestizos that there is no such thing as a blond haired blue eyed Hispanic.

Flip side: there are scads of 'brown' Anglos who get pegged as 'Mexican' a lot.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
im not the one insitisting anything. im just saying what its been like in this country. having a half black president dont really change much.
He's also half white, but you never hear him referred to him that way. And just because YOU have "perceived" how it is in this country, does not make it so.

Quote:
but i know plenty of people (hispanic and asian) who have been discriminated against (in the south especially) because of the way they look.
Sure, some people are racist, which include people of all races, not just white people.

Quote:
the dichotomy of race is still white and OTHER.
Says who? And that doesn't change my statement of Americans being American, regardless of race. Refusal to assimilate is a form of treason IMO.

Quote:
but why would i expect a SIMPLE man to understand this
Why do I ever expect to get a reasonable response on this subject from someone who loathes my country and constanly defends breaking the law?

Quote:
read some patricia hill collins.
Sure, just as soon as you read "Savage Nation" and "Liberty and tyranny" (EXCELLENT books by the way).

Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 PM

who loathes my country? whos defending breaking the law?

APJ is that you? making up stuff again are you?!

you are dismissed until you can discuss issues i have spoken on and not what you are making up in your mind.

loathes your country?!

this is my country. i have lived it. i have seen the ugly face of prejudice and hatred. that is undeniable. a mixed black and white president dont change much because honestly there are many people who still dont see us all as "americans" .

apparently you are one of them, since you infer that i LOATHE your country. is this not my country? am i not american enough for you?

we may disagree but dont accuse me of stuff like that. it weakens your poor lil argument.

seriousy... dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
He's also half white, but you never hear him referred to him that way. And just because YOU have "perceived" how it is in this country, does not make it so.

Sure, some people are racist, which include people of all races, not just white people.

Says who? And that doesn't change my statement of Americans being American, regardless of race. Refusal to assimilate is a form of treason IMO.

Why do I ever expect to get a reasonable response on this subject from someone who loathes my country and constanly defends breaking the law?

Sure, just as soon as you read "Savage Nation" and "Liberty and tyranny" (EXCELLENT books by the way).

Old 06-25-2009, 12:50 PM

oh and michael savage... really. is that the scope of your literary choices?

freire is a better read. a bit heavy, but better to understand the world we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Quote:
oh and michael savage... really. is that the scope of your literary choices?

freire is a better read. a bit heavy, but better to understand the world we live in.
Sorry, I prefer non-fiction, and people not afraid to tell it like it is instead of being "politically correct".

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
thos with anglo features "PASS" ever heard of that concept. therefore it is less easy for those uninformed bigots to miss them when profiling people based on their own prejudices.

c'mon now.

and yes, lots of brown folk get pegged for mexican.
the salvadorans hate when that happens. that really gets their blood boiling.

thats another funny thing. how everyone is "mexican". but thats also tied to historic occurences. mexicans were the first south of the border immigrants. anyone coming from down there was immediately mexican. really funny the way people think.
ROFLMAO.

A person born/raised in Argentina is a Hispanic under US government guidelines even if said individual's lineage is Swedish and is a blue eyed blonde.

Flip side: an Englishman born/raised in the UK; even if of brown Mexican background, is not counted as Hispanic. He is a bloody Brit

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 PM

380 posts, read 612,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
These all became races at about the same time. I have a neighbor who's half Jewish and half Swiss; his daughter is married to a Person of Color, and his wife is Canadian and Mormon, mixed. I have other neighbors who are Greek, Mexican, muslim, Hispanic, and Middle Easterner....plus a few Americans, too..and one Catholic
Jewish is not an ethnicity it is a religion.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Jewish is not an ethnicity it is a religion.
So is Islam along with all other faiths.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:46 PM

yes, but we are talking about perceptions of race and ethnicity. IN THE US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ROFLMAO.

A person born/raised in Argentina is a Hispanic under US government guidelines even if said individual's lineage is Swedish and is a blue eyed blonde.

Flip side: an Englishman born/raised in the UK; even if of brown Mexican background, is not counted as Hispanic. He is a bloody Brit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration