U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,761,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Then I guess, they don't consider illegal aliens criminals.
It's from a biased pro-illegal group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Then I guess, they don't consider illegal aliens criminals.
I don't think most consider them criminals but they think that the social service free ride for people sneaking across needs to be shut down. If you can survive here by coming illegally and NOT being a drain it's one thing. What we are seeing is a mass migration of poor coming for the main reason of tax payer services to it's populace. It's a very volatile situation.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't think most consider them criminals but they think that the social service free ride for people sneaking across needs to be shut down. If you can survive here by coming illegally and NOT being a drain it's one thing. What we are seeing is a mass migration of poor coming for the main reason of tax payer services to it's populace. It's a very volatile situation.
I think that you hit the nail right in the head, most people don't want them using social services, so they prefer letting them work instead. So they provide for themselves like everyone else does.

I do think if the services go cut back, a larger percentage of people who come here illegally would be here to work and the argument that they cme for the social services would stop.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM

142 posts, read 192,514 times
How is the PEW bias?

Old 05-25-2009, 08:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
I think that you hit the nail right in the head, most people don't want them using social services, so they prefer letting them work instead. So they provide for themselves like everyone else does.

I do think if the services go cut back, a larger percentage of people who come here illegally would be here to work and the argument that they cme for the social services would stop.
Remember this: white collar types are susceptible to being replaced by cheaper workers in India, etc. if the former's jobs can be done via telecommuting.

Read that when a critical mass of 'liberal' college degreed people are unemployable in their chosen fields----------they will be competing with illegals for even 'menial' jobs

Old 05-25-2009, 09:02 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Remember this: white collar types are susceptible to being replaced by cheaper workers in India, etc. if the former's jobs can be done via telecommuting.

Read that when a critical mass of 'liberal' college degreed people are unemployable in their chosen fields----------they will be competing with illegals for even 'menial' jobs
You are right, and as things stands I see outsourcing as a much higher threat than illegal immigration to my job stability. Being on the I.T. business for over 6 years, I have trained people who were going to take my job. But the best solution in my opinion is not to go against outsourcing and globalization but to keep investing on myself and keep several steps ahead of what they can outsource. And also investing on the companies smart enough to take advantage of globalization, that way you profit from it as well.

The 'liberal' college degreed people who will be competing for menial jobs will be those who grew complacent on their jobs without remembering that learning is lifelong.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
You are right, and as things stands I see outsourcing as a much higher threat than illegal immigration to my job stability. Being on the I.T. business for over 6 years, I have trained people who were going to take my job. But the best solution in my opinion is not to go against outsourcing and globalization but to keep investing on myself and keep several steps ahead of what they can outsource. And also investing on the companies smart enough to take advantage of globalization, that way you profit from it as well.

The 'liberal' college degreed people who will be competing for menial jobs will be those who grew complacent on their jobs without remembering that learning is lifelong.
That is correct.

And; all the more reason to choke off illegal immigration.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
How is the PEW bias?
Here's a poll with as much meat as one by the PEW.

Do you support amnesty for illegal aliens?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
According to new Pew Poll, 63% of poll respondents support legalization of illegal aliens.

The full report can be found at: http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/517.pdf
The quote is found on page 65.
And it's a "PATH" to citizenship, it's not an amnesty. That is pretty polarizing in itself. There would be a really small percentage of people that would pull off anything that has been in the verbage in the last 3 bills, learn English, return home to get back in line for a bit, pay a decent sized fine and provide proof that they have been working for years.

A very small percentage indeed.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's from a biased pro-illegal group.
See it's funny when you guys complain when we call out something bias, but then do exactly the same thing.

The interesting thing is that I remember reading something from JDubsmom from Pew. So it must not be that biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration