Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
tell me about it!!!

all the posts about them setting up the polls at a home depot and getting a bunch of rodrigues and lopes are just

or questioning PEW.

next time they present a poll that is "slanted" we can just ask
"who did they poll, the KKK?!?!"

such silliness. i respect pew. they present the facts. very reputable researchers with precise survey methods.
Fox news, abc/washington poll and the ny times poll all came to the same conclusion. I challenge the other side to come up with a poll not commissioned by FAIR, CIS, or alipac that supports their claim that most americans are against a comprehensive approach to solving this problem.

Even their beloved rasmussen poll proves that Americans are willing to go along with a plan that legalizes the status of hardworking,non-criminal illegal immigrants. This poll was from last year's debate btw.

Quote:
Still, 65% of voters would be willing to support a compromise including a “very long path to citizenship” provided that “the proposal required the aliens to pay fines and learn English” and that the compromise “would truly reduce the number of illegal aliens entering the country.” The proposal, specifically described as a compromise, was said to include “strict employer penalties for hiring illegal aliens, building a barrier along the Mexican border and other steps to significantly reduce the number of illegal aliens entering the United States.”
The willingness of voters to accept compromise and allow a path to citizenship suggests both pragmatism and a strong desire to do what it takes to reduce the ongoing flow of illegal immigration. The challenge for proponents of the legislation is to convince voters that they are serious about enforcement and that the proposal will truly work.
[/quote]

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/immigration/just_26_favor_senate_immigration_plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I would think of an amnesty, if they give illegal aliens who have been here before (lets say) 2005 automatic permanent residency. The get pardoned, no questions asked, no wait times, no English requirement.
Gee, that would make it convenient. Why give special consideration and wave requirements that everybody else has to abide by to people who have been raping this country for years? Illegals are not special. They do not deserve ANYTHING from us. Certainly not special treatment like you're suggesting.

The only special thing we should do for them is take some of that money they get from us and use it for a bus ticket back to Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem
But I would like to think of the Dream Act as path to citizenship, where the individual has a way to became a resident if some conditions that require something from the individual be fulfilled. In this case a 2 year degree or 2 years in the Army. I am pretty sure most people that take advantage of this act would, after completing the two years, be able to speak and write English. Specially if the went the Army route. Also it's required of them to keep a clean record, and to keep out of trouble.
Are you suggesting we trust people who lie, cheat, and steal from this country to actually protect us in our military????????? LOLOLOL I wouldn't trust them with my dog. Certainly not my country.

And yeah, let's send them to college for two years for free. They get everything else free.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
According to new Pew Poll, 63% of poll respondents support legalization of illegal aliens.

The full report can be found at: http://people-press.org/reports/pdf/517.pdf
The quote is found on page 65.
This nothing but BS!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Fox news, abc/washington poll and the ny times poll all came to the same conclusion. I challenge the other side to come up with a poll not commissioned by FAIR, CIS, or alipac that supports their claim that most americans are against a comprehensive approach to solving this problem.

Even their beloved rasmussen poll proves that Americans are willing to go along with a plan that legalizes the status of hardworking,non-criminal illegal immigrants. This poll was from last year's debate btw.
The support, or lack thereof, for “a path to citizenship†for illegals will be evident when they attempt to pass another CIR. It will be a repeat of the previous FAILED attempts, only more resounding. I wonder what excuses you pro-illegals will have then.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The support, or lack thereof, for “a path to citizenship” for illegals will be evident when they attempt to pass another CIR. It will be a repeat of the previous FAILED attempts, only more resounding. I wonder what excuses you pro-illegals will have then.
And what excuse will you guys have if something like this passes?

Btw, something like this passed in the senate in 2006 but failed in 2007. The democratically controlled house haven't even tackled the immigration issue since they came into power in 2007.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:

Btw, something like this passed in the senate in 2006 but failed in 2007. The democratically controlled house haven't even tackled the immigration issue since they came into power in 2007.
I gauarantee that some citizens will take it upon themselves to do what will be necessary.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:49 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
2006 attempt and reasons why it didn't pass.

Must have a job --would majority pass? doubtful in a recession, too many not working
Must learn to speak English --would majority pass? no
Must pass a health screening test --would majority pass? yes
Must pay the IRS taxes owed on all past income earned in the United States --would majority pass? no, not verifiable, too many stolen SS#s
Must have lived in the United States for at least five years --would majority pass? yes
Must pay a large fine for coming to the United States illegally --would majority pass? probably yes
Must have a family member living in the United States legally --would majority pass? no

Other years are very close to this one and the "majority" won't pass muster, not even close.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:

And why do you think they haven’t?

It doesn’t matter who is in control, it won’t pass. I realize this will be yet another crushing blow. How long will it take for illegals to realize they are mere pawns? It’s actually rather pathetic.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:20 PM

142 posts, read 221,889 times
Don't forget, the PEW was in favor of Obama... yeah right like he was going to win, oh wait...

Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem
But I would like to think of the Dream Act as path to citizenship, where the individual has a way to became a resident if some conditions that require something from the individual be fulfilled. In this case you need to be 2 years into a degree or 2 years in the Army. I am pretty sure most people that take advantage of this act would, after completing the two years, be able to speak and write English. Specially if the went the Army route. Also it's required of them to keep a clean record, and to keep out of trouble.
Tell me, what will a 2-year degree accomplish?

(1)

Furthermore, apparently you don’t realize the DREAM Act does NOT require a degree. Read the bill, and you will discover it applies to even primary and secondary school children; ergo, the “M” in DREAM Act is the acronym for Minors. Please educate yourself on this bill prior to formulating an opinion.

(2)
(1) It will ensure that the individual to be legalized has a minimum level of education, lowering the probability that the individual will end up as a public charge.

(2) These are the requirements to get a conditional residency:
Quote:
(a) Special Rule for Certain Long-Term Residents Who Entered the United States as Children-
(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Secretary of Homeland Security may cancel removal of, and adjust to the status of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, subject to the conditional basis described in section 5, an alien who is inadmissible or deportable from the United States, if the alien demonstrates that--
(A) the alien has been physically present in the United States for a continuous period of not less than 5 years immediately preceding the date of enactment of this Act, and had not yet reached the age of 16 years at the time of initial entry;
(B) the alien has been a person of good moral character since the time of application;
(C) the alien--
(i) is not inadmissible under paragraph (2), (3), (6)(E), or (10)(C) of section 212(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1182(a)); and
(ii) is not deportable under paragraph (1)(E), (2), or (4) of section 237(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1227(a));
(D) the alien, at the time of application, has been admitted to an institution of higher education in the United States, or has earned a high school diploma or obtained a general education development certificate in the United States;
(E) the alien has never been under a final administrative or judicial order of exclusion, deportation, or removal, unless the alien--
(i) has remained in the United States under color of law after such order was issued; or
(ii) received the order before attaining the age of 16 years; and
(F) the alien had not yet reached the age of 35 years on the date of the enactment of this Act.
So in summary, anyone who is under age of 35, entered the country before was 16 and has been here for at least 5 years. Yes it applies to children and adults who meet these requirements, to get the process started. These requirements will get you a 6 year conditional residence. But, here is the part that requires you to get a degree or serve in the military:
Quote:
SEC. 5. CONDITIONAL PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS.
(a) In General-
(1) CONDITIONAL BASIS FOR STATUS- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, and except as provided in section 6, an alien whose status has been adjusted under section 4 to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence shall be considered to have obtained such status on a conditional basis subject to the provisions of this section. Such conditional permanent resident status shall be valid for a period of 6 years, subject to termination under subsection (b).
(2) NOTICE OF REQUIREMENTS-
(A) AT TIME OF OBTAINING PERMANENT RESIDENCE- At the time an alien obtains permanent resident status on a conditional basis under paragraph (1), the Secretary of Homeland Security shall provide for notice to the alien regarding the provisions of this section and the requirements of subsection (c) to have the conditional basis of such status removed.
(B) EFFECT OF FAILURE TO PROVIDE NOTICE- The failure of the Secretary of Homeland Security to provide a notice under this paragraph--
(i) shall not affect the enforcement of the provisions of this Act with respect to the alien; and
(ii) shall not give rise to any private right of action by the alien.
(b) Termination of Status-
(1) IN GENERAL- The Secretary of Homeland Security shall terminate the conditional permanent resident status of any alien who obtained such status under this Act, if the Secretary determines that the alien--
(A) ceases to meet the requirements of subparagraph (B) or (C) of section 4(a)(1);
(B) has become a public charge; or
(C) has received a dishonorable or other than honorable discharge from the uniformed services.
(2) RETURN TO PREVIOUS IMMIGRATION STATUS- Any alien whose conditional permanent resident status is terminated under paragraph (1) shall return to the immigration status the alien had immediately prior to receiving conditional permanent resident status under this Act.
Now this is the details of the petition that you have to submit in order to remove the conditional part:

Quote:
(d) Details of Petition-
(1) CONTENTS OF PETITION- Each petition for an alien under subsection (c)(1) shall contain information to permit the Secretary of Homeland Security to determine whether each of the following requirements is met:
(A) The alien has demonstrated good moral character during the entire period the alien has been a conditional permanent resident.
(B) The alien is in compliance with section 4(a)(1)(C).
(C) The alien has not abandoned the alien's residence in the United States. The Secretary shall presume that the alien has abandoned such residence if the alien is absent from the United States for more than 365 days, in the aggregate, during the period of conditional residence, unless the alien demonstrates that alien has not abandoned the alien's residence. An alien who is absent from the United States due to active service in the uniformed services has not abandoned the alien's residence in the United States during the period of such service.
(D) The alien has completed at least 1 of the following:
(i) The alien has acquired a degree from an institution of higher education in the United States or has completed at least 2 years, in good standing, in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher degree in the United States.
(ii) The alien has served in the uniformed services for at least 2 years and, if discharged, has received an honorable discharge.
Therefore, in order for an individual to became a citizen under this act, they would have to:
1) Be eligible as per the requirements of the bill exposed in the first area of this post.
2) Get their conditional residency and within the next 6 years either be 2 years into your BS degree, complete an Associate's degree (2 years and you get a degree from a institution of higher education) or serve 2 years in the military.
3) Be a permanent resident for 5 years and then apply for citizenship

With the presented information I think we can conclude that through this act you are required to get a degree, be 2 years into a Bachelors or serve in the uniformed services before becoming a U.S. citizen.

The full act can be found at: Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress) if the link does not work (It expires) just do a search for DREAM on that webpage.

PS: Formatting is a pain in the ***.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration